Hey y'all, I find myself stumped on this Uke video.. thoughts?

aehalt

Reaction score

I can see, obviously, how the "kick" and "snare" is actually being simulated... BUT it just doesn't actually translate to me being able to do it!

It would seem to me, unlike a chunk(mine isn't much of a knock but more of a muted drag across the strings to complete the strum motion), but the way this would be achieved is to knock in a more perpendicular fashion. This gets tricky fast due to the strumming and tempo. I really think this would be a big step in progression of the ukulele. Anyone want to reveal any tips? The Justin Timberlake one is just awesome.

Chords seem simple, just the timing. I usually would sit down and just go over and over the routine slowly and speed it up as I get more comfortable, but I can't seem to figure out easiest way to do this.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited:
I like the kick using his thumb.

Can't really help you but I have really enjoyed the video! The percussive sounds are brilliant.

ALSO- HERES another cover, done in a similar fashion

the OP wouldnt let me post more than 1 video

That's what I was thinking! Yet, it is WAY more awkward than he makes it look. Gotta retrain! ugh

I'm a drummer. I Gotta learn that.

I wish I had someone face to face who could show me slower. I can't see how he's doing some of that, especially the double thumps.

the strum + the double thump is so impressive. anyone have any tips?

I received a message from the user, said he had a tutorial in the works!

this guy is amazing. If he posts a reply or a how-to, please update this thread

Bump! Still wish there was a tutorial breaking down a proper procedure...

No updates from the youtube user yet, Unfortunately... Wish he was a UU member

There are tutorials on Youtube for James Hill's version of Billie Jean, which has similar percussive elements. Here's one of the shorter videos.

http://youtu.be/tkvKAgvjQOA

I can't do it. Good luck.

Seems to be using thumb, and the other dragging his nails on the sound board after the strum. Always loved that.

Unfortunately the user hasn't been online in a while... Hope he comes back! I will keep this updated

Top Bottom