need advice on a song im attempting to cover

danifuku

Reaction score
Hi!

I just started playing a month or two ago. Im making slow progress.

I want to play a particular song, because it has only four chords and I really like it.

However, Im really stuck on getting the rhythm right in the intro.

I need advice on how I should be playing it.

This is the song I want to play - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjY3Y7QHJ-A&feature=youtube_gdata_player

And this is my attempt at the intro and first verse - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9UDaD4XUgE&feature=youtu.be
I tried to set the video to be only viewed by people who know the link, so I hope it works. Im shy... :eek:

The change from A back to D seems to be the main problem. The whole thing just sounds so akward. Is it just a matter of practice makes perfect or am I doing something major wrong.

Also, I can't seem to stop going faster than the original.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :D

Btw, I figured out the chords myself (D Em G A) but not %100 its right...

Hey!

First of all, I think you are doing extremely well for the amount of time you've been playing. You are switching chords pretty smoothly.

In the intro, it seems like you have a hitch in your strum. You should always keep your hand moving in up and down strokes, even on strokes you don't make (I think they are referred to as 'ghost strokes'). Follow through with those up strokes even if you intend two downward strokes in a row. Secondly, remember that you don't always have to use a down stroke for emphasis. Seems like in the intro you could use an up stroke where you are trying to use that double down stroke.

Also, to keep time, use one of the online metronomes. Like http://www.metronomeonline.com/.

Keep practicing, I think you've got a natural feel for it and it's only going to get better from here!

I just listened to your youtube video. It didn't sound too fast to me, but you know the song so maybe it was. I had the same problem with speed when I first started to play, but had to conciously remind myself to slow down. The online metronome didn't work for me. Too distracting. I think you did really well and with practice you will be a fine player. There are literally hundreds if not thousands of tutorials for the ukulele on youtube, so explore and learn as many chords as you can, and you will be able to play anything. You have a good feel for this wonderful instrument. Good luck and welcome to UU! PS.. I'm shy too but the ukulele has started to bring me out of it. I have played in front of people several times. Something I thought I would never do in a million years. ;0)

addictedtomyuke, thank you for the encouragement! :D
I'm excited about becoming a good uke player.
I'll do my best!

I think you are really brave! I've only been playing two months and I won't even practice if anyone else can hear me. That version sounded good to me and you should be proud. Your courage gives me courage maybe tonight I'll practice on my porch and not care!!

Thanks, Spud1$!

I'm just determined to be good at least one thing in my life.
And I've decided that thing is gonna be the uke.
:D

Top Bottom