The Kamaka Sound

dirtiestkidever

Reaction score
I go to music/ukulele stores often and play a lot of high end ukuleles. But I am very confused by Kamakas. They seem to have an incredibly loyal following but they really don't do it for me and the magnitude of this disconnect bothers me a little. I have a suspicion that what I don't like may be the stock strings on the Kamakas (I have played many but every one has had those black strings). But every time I play one i notice that they are incredibly quiet, don't have much sustain, and the bodies don't seem to resonate that much. Compare this to KoAlohas and KoAlanas which are loud, resonant, and very bright sounding (I always have a hard time putting these down). Kanile'as seem to be somewhere in between. I am sure each brand is designed for a different sound. And KoAlohas are obviously designed to be brighter than Kamakas. But I am curious if some people just prefer the quieter gentler sound of the Kamakas? Or maybe it is those black strings that are quiet and changing the strings makes for a completely different sound?

I am not trying to knock Kamakas at all. Given their popularity they are obviously very high quality instruments. I don't doubt that for a second. I am just curious why they dont sound great to me.

Is it just a difference in personal taste? Do strings make a big difference? Do I just lack the refined ear to appreciate such a fine instrument?

Thanks in advacnce for your feedback. I always learn a lot here.

I didn't like the stock strings on my Kamaka.

Initially I changed the strings to Aquila nylgut and then I put on Worth Clear Fluorocarbon (CM) strings and they made a big difference (in a good way). I love Worth clears and I think they really suit my Kamaka!

I agree with Emma. I didn't like the black strings that came with mine. I put Worth clears on mine also and it made a very noticeable difference.

Seems to me all Kamaka's sound different..
I have a HF3S and mine has a deep mellow tone..way different from most of my Mainland ukes..seems like if you get a nice Kamaka it is more like a Kanile'a in sound..the KoAlohas are bright and loud..

I put on some new Oasis tenor(test set) strings with a Fremont Soloist polished wound LowG and they work pretty nice..the highs are much cleaner/clearer than any other strings I have tried..

to me the Kamaka's have a true Hawaiian sound..if you get the right one..

Last edited:
It's preference. I looooove my Kamaka standard uke---it just keeps sounding better and better to me as the years pass.

I like Kamaka strings as well---I prefer the deep, mellow sound of nylon strings to the bright, ringing sound of fluorocarbon strings, and I prefer the thicker, softer feel of nylon to the thinner, harder feel of fluorocarbon. Plus black strings look best to me against that lovely koa and rosewood. Great sound, feel, and beauty---what's not to like?

It's preference. I looooove my Kamaka standard uke---it just keeps sounding better and better to me as the years pass.

I couldn't agree more. My 2011 Kamaka Standard has an incredibly full sound, tons of sustain, and seems to get better all the time. I recently acquired a 2012 HF-2, and if you put a blindfold on, you would think the Soprano was the Concert. Strum a chord and you can feel the whole uke vibrate. Both have fluorocarbon strings.

Kamaka ukulele is pretty much the standard uke sound. Some would argue Martin sopranos are. There's no right or wrong between the two, I suppose. Anyway, my experience with Kamakas, and actually playing them, dates back only to the beginning of this year, where I was able to play basically the full line at Mandolin Brothers last January.

I was really impressed with them- and that's after I bought about twenty five KoAlohas before even touching a Kamaka. For some reason- which, incidentally has everything to do with the OP's initial post- I thought they were inferior; based on vast research here at UU and across the Internet spectrum. I found that they're well-made and sound great, too: all models. If push came to shove, between the KTM-00 and the HF-3, I'd probably select the KoAloha, but only because my 2010 model is perfect from head to toe, and I've grown with it. However, the Kamaka is unbeatable in the looks and feel department, so it really is a toss up.

The bottom line, though, is that- much like The Ukulele Site description suggests- the HF-3- with Kamaka strings, gasp!- is THE quintessential tenor ukulele sound; sorry, I don't count Martin a current giant in this game, them having only recently just gotten back into it. So, if you're looking toward tradition, go no further than a modern Kamaka. You won't be sorry. If you like a more resonant, different sound, with a warranty that cannot be beat, go KoAloha. That's about the bottom line. Just trust me...

Last edited:
I go to music/ukulele stores often and play a lot of high end ukuleles. But I am very confused by Kamakas. They seem to have an incredibly loyal following but they really don't do it for me and the magnitude of this disconnect bothers me a little. I have a suspicion that what I don't like may be the stock strings on the Kamakas (I have played many but every one has had those black strings). But every time I play one i notice that they are incredibly quiet, don't have much sustain, and the bodies don't seem to resonate that much. Compare this to KoAlohas and KoAlanas which are loud, resonant, and very bright sounding (I always have a hard time putting these down). Kanile'as seem to be somewhere in between. I am sure each brand is designed for a different sound. And KoAlohas are obviously designed to be brighter than Kamakas. But I am curious if some people just prefer the quieter gentler sound of the Kamakas? Or maybe it is those black strings that are quiet and changing the strings makes for a completely different sound?

I am not trying to knock Kamakas at all. Given their popularity they are obviously very high quality instruments. I don't doubt that for a second. I am just curious why they dont sound great to me.

Is it just a difference in personal taste? Do strings make a big difference? Do I just lack the refined ear to appreciate such a fine instrument?

Thanks in advacnce for your feedback. I always learn a lot here.

And I thought it was just me. :D

I had an HF-1 and an HF-2, and tried many types of strings. Strings make a difference. But to my ear and personal tastes, I just preferred other builders.

As Len said, you should to try a couple of the same model as they all sound a bit different. Maybe that is what I needed to do.

But it's great we like different ukes. Gives us more diversity.

Last edited:
And I thought it was just me. :D

I had an HF-1 and an HF-2, and tried many types of strings. Strings make a difference. But to my ear and personal tastes, I just preferred other builders.

As Len said, you should to try a couple of the same model as they all sound a bit different. Maybe that is what I needed to do.

Hey Doc

yes I really like Kamaka..but I have tried many that for some reason sound to bright and tight..

they should have deep,mellow and balanced tone..and sometimes the highs are not crystal clear.. but can not have everything..haha

you got to find a store with many in stock..good luck// as they sell out as soon as they get them..Gryphon in Palo Alto Calif always seems to have a lot of them in stock..but I know you not close..

Hey Doc

yes I really like Kamaka..but I have tried many that for some reason sound to bright and tight..

they should have deep,mellow and balanced tone..and sometimes the highs are not crystal clear.. but can not have everything..haha

you got to find a store with many in stock..good luck// as they sell out as soon as they get them..Gryphon in Palo Alto Calif always seems to have a lot of them in stock..but I know you not close..

Where does it say that ukuleles should have a deep, rich, and mellow sound? :confused: They're actually *supposed* to sound like ukuleles. This uke-sounding-rich-and-deep thing is new. A tenor ukulele is supposed to sound like an HF-3 with stock strings. That's what it's supposed to sound like. Bottom line. We all like all the newer, modern builders, because they make them sound good, too, but it's not THE ukulele sound. It's entirely different...

I love my Kamaka pineapple and had Fremont Blacks on it. I have a Barry as well and have not yet found the perfect strings, but I love the uke.

Where does it say that ukuleles should have a deep, rich, and mellow sound? :confused: They're actually *supposed* to sound like ukuleles. This uke-sounding-rich-and-deep thing is new. A tenor ukulele is supposed to sound like an HF-3 with stock strings. That's what it's supposed to sound like. Bottom line. We all like all the newer, modern builders, because they make them sound good, too, but it's not THE ukulele sound. It's entirely different...

Exactly....I like the rich, deep, mellow sound of my customs but none of them sound like a traditional uke, at least my definition of a traditional sounding uke.

Last edited:
Yes, he played it.

Love the deep rich tones of the Ohta San, still in low G, and the new upgraded tuners.

Also love my Kamaka HF2S, (3A) ordered directly from Kamaka.

Last edited:
I have a 2005 Kamaka HF-3 tenor that is one of my best sounding ukuleles, along with a Liliu six string. And I have had, and still do have, many high end custom and production ukes including all of the K brands. It is true of any ukulele that the sound will evolve and grow over time. And finding the perfect set of strings to complement that uke is paramount to whether it ultimately will be a keeper or not.

What sound and tone each individual is looking for in his or her ukulele is subjective.

OKay all you kamaka ....um um um he he all brands of ukes will sound different even the same model and sizes .....that is why I say try before you buy, there are certainly better ones
and less better ones in any brand in any bunch.....Second the stock strings Kamaka uses give them a deep dark rich tone....OKay tonight I just put a SET of Oasis strings on my Kamaka Tenor white label
before it had some kamaka strings...I wanted to do a comparision on strings and the affect in the tone, and volume.....Yes I noticed a rich dull sound on the kamaka strings, well they were 3
years old...but I slapped on my test Oasis strings and it brightened up considerably and became more puncher and louder....very big difference ....the strings are your ukes voice box, different
ones will produce different tones....but all in all you have to have a great ukulele first.....strings don't fix everything, the they can certainly help if you know which one to use on you particular uke

I don't get a chance to play different ukes much, unless I buy them. I did get a chance to play some new Kamakas on a recent trip and thought a Kamaka concert was the nicest playing/looking/sounding uke in the store, and there were many brands, including some customs. I don't currently own a Kamaka, but a good deal on one is certainly on my radar.

Is there any production builder that plays every ukulele built, and then decides whether to release it or not? Or do most production builders want a diversity of sound from their instruments? I've always thought part of quality meant consistency.

Every production ukulele that I've played more than one, I've noticed a little to significant variation in the sound and sound quality. A little variation I understand, significant I do not. But since the production builders can sell everything that they make, i guess it doesn't make sense to throw out product that folks will buy.

By the way, when I'm talking about production Ukuleles here, I'm talking about the k-bands or the equivalent.

Maybe the variation is there to address what we're talking about here: the difference in personal preferences.

Last edited:
Top Bottom