Unique Coconut Ukulele

Lime

Reaction score
As I said over in my intro, I'm a newb looking for a ukulele. I came across this ukulele on eBay and it seems like it's made from good materials to me, and it's also really cute. So what do you think?

Bearing in mind that this uke is mostly for my 5-year-old and while I'm going to make her treat it like a real instrument, I'm not spending so much that I will cringe every time she bumps it. This one's actually over budget, I just think it's so neat.

coconutheart.jpg

Ummmmm..... I'd pass man... there's a reason you don't see too much of them around....:(

I'm with Stan on this one: look elsewhere.

My reasons:
- Stan said so - he's got more experience with more ukes than 10 other senior members put together.
- The uke in question is made by Bruce Wei. While some folks seems to have okay experiences with his instruments, it seems that the majority experience problems, particularly with cracking. I have never owned one of his instruments and can't vouch for this personally.
- The cost of the ukulele is going to be upwards of $100 once you pay the $55 (?!?) shipping.

Based on my experience and that of other members, I suggest you get your daughter a Makala Dolphin. These are touted as some of the best of the very cheap and nigh-on indestructible ukes out there. Plus then can be purchased already setup (this is absolutely key) from many very reputable dealers.

http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/makala-dolphin-soprano-mk-s

Stan - do you mean coconut ukuleles or do you mean ones made by this guy?

I searched his name on the board and he seems to make good instruments, but probably not good value for the money.

I was going to just buy the dolphin, but this one's so pretty. I'll just go with the dolphin for me. I'll get one for myself, too, so that can be my next decision.

Thanks!

That's also going to be so neck heavy and so awkward to hold that it'll be almost impossible to learn on.

Coconuts are quite fragile and crack easily. So maybe not too suitable for a 5-year old.

I agree with you Lime, that IS a really cute uke! However, it's not for a child. I'm still at newbie status, & while I would buy it for myself, I wouldn't for a 5 year old. I have a few (too many lol) ukes, & am gifting my grandchildren with some (13, 8 & 3) but they're getting Dolphins from a good local music store, not a unique coconut off of eBay with insane shipping fees.

This has all become rather moot because my daughter saw a picture of the pink dolphin ukulele and started shrieking with delight, look my tablet from me, and started strumming the screen saying, "It's so pretty, I love it, I love it!" LOL

So, we have a definite winner in the pink dolphin. I ordered a kit with a hard case because she says she can't wait to take it camping and to the park.

AW- that's awesome! Her own little pink Dolphin! Now about that coconut uke for you... ;)

start with a normal uke.... the coconut is to freak to me... :rolleyes:

AW- that's awesome! Her own little pink Dolphin! Now about that coconut uke for you... ;)

There is another one listed with the bidding started at $1... plus $55 shipping. I bid $2 :p . I like it a lot, but I don't think I'm going to pay too much for it. I will have to decide what my max bid is (it's not really $2), but I probably won't get it. They are consistently being sold for about $60 plus the shipping.

I really like low-balling on eBay, though. I usually don't win, but when I do, it's an incredible deal.

Top Bottom