PDA

View Full Version : uke strap?

uke mab
06-09-2013, 05:02 PM
I just upgraded to a solid koa tenor and it would feel more comfortable with a strap. Would that be a mistake to install a strap button in a nice uke? Thanks

Jim Hanks
06-09-2013, 05:16 PM
Not a mistake at all in my opinion. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, almost any guitar repair shop should be able to do it for a small fee. I did mine as you can read here - http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?80110-Installed-my-own-strap-button-!

sukie
06-09-2013, 06:06 PM
I'e been using a strap for a couple of months now. You'll love it. My strap goes on the pick up button. And then ties to the headstock.

Jim Hanks
06-09-2013, 07:21 PM
And there are non-invasive options like the Möbius strap and Uke Leash as well as the sound hole hook type straps if you can't stand the thought of drilling into your "nice uke"

Manalishi
06-10-2013, 12:07 AM
I fitted a strap button to my top end tenor
no problem.I don't like them on my sopranos
and concerts,but the Tenor feels 'safer' as
has been remarked on!

Hms
06-10-2013, 03:58 AM
Tenor felt too loose for me to be comfortable, plus when changing chords I felt as if I did not have control of the uke and was afraid of dropping it. Had fitted strap button on base of uke and another on the base of the neck.
Felt a strap around the headstock would be in the way as I currently play mainly that end of the neck. (Not mainly, exclusively!)
Fitted a nice Neotech mandolin strap, which has a headstock loop and two leather button connectors to allow you choice how you fit the strap. You can also get extra sets of connectors/Headstock loop so you can use the strap on more than one instrument.
h

Shastastan
06-11-2013, 02:43 PM
Some are very particular about adding a strap button. Some even say that it decreases the value of the uke. I sort of answered this question for myself by comparing this to installing a top luggage rack on an suv. The car does look better without it and some people don't like them or the looks of them. Well, we need one on our car to haul stuff. It's that simple. There are a lot of threads on this forum about whether or not to add a strap and the various types of straps available. I asked myself, "Are you buying this uke to use yourself or to save to sell to someone else?" I had already concluded that it would really help me and it has. My favorite has been a real leather mandolin strap which is just less than an inch wide. Just my 4 cents worth.

UkeKiddinMe
06-11-2013, 05:07 PM
Some are very particular about adding a strap button. Some even say that it decreases the value of the uke. I sort of answered this question for myself by comparing this to installing a top luggage rack on an suv. The car does look better without it and some people don't like them or the looks of them. Well, we need one on our car to haul stuff. It's that simple. There are a lot of threads on this forum about whether or not to add a strap and the various types of straps available. I asked myself, "Are you buying this uke to use yourself or to save to sell to someone else?" I had already concluded that it would really help me and it has. My favorite has been a real leather mandolin strap which is just less than an inch wide. Just my 4 cents worth.

Well said.

Spud1$
06-11-2013, 05:13 PM
I've only been playing a short time but I got a strap after a month and it helped me be a better player. Since I got my Uke to play it and a strap makes it easier for me to play it then I think it was the right choice. I worried about changing how it looked because it's so pretty to me but it turned out it didn't matter at all.