Changing strings

When they break, or when you decide you don't like how they sound. They do seem to last a very long time unless they're worn excessively around where they touch the frets.

For myself there seems to be a point where after a certain amount of playing on them they seem to lose a particular something in how they sound and play.
It's more a matter of picking up the instrument and playing and thinking that it just doesn't sound right. It won't ring quite right and the strings will just sound kind of flat and dead. (I'll usually procrastinate a couple of days too to be sure it's the strings and not my ear and because I'm lazy.)
The time period for me if I've been playing a lot (averaging at least couple hours a day) can end up being about a month to two months depending on the strings and my mood.

But really there's no hard and fast rules (barring excessive wear and breakage). Use your own judgment and ear. New strings are always nice and different brands of strings do different things to your uke's sound. experiment. have fun.

... also when you get intrigued by all the chatter about favourite strings and decide you want to experiment... hmmm - will Aquilas make it sound better than J71s? Let's try...

If you're wondering if you should change your strings:confused:, then its time to change your strings:music:.

Thank you all so much for the advice. So I accidently got baritone strings for my concert uke any thought? I've thought about putting them on to see how they sound

Will it really sound that different with baritone strings on a concert uke ?

Interesting. I've been told for guitar strings that not changing the strings regularly will damage the fretboard. Does this apply at all to Ukes?

You know when you need to change your strings. If you don't like the sound of it anymore. That reminds me, I have to start changing my strings soon. My ukulele teacher recommend changing your strings every 3 months or so.

... also when you get intrigued by all the chatter about favourite strings and decide you want to experiment... hmmm - will Aquilas make it sound better than J71s? Let's try...

Sigh. I have fallen prey to that more times than I care to count, and I have a box full of strings as a result.

Top Bottom