Dyeing fiber purflings?

Habanera Hal

Reaction score
LMI offers a bold multi-line purfling http://www.lmii.com/products/mostly-wood/bindings-purflings/bold-multi-line-purfling in black and white. Has anyone tried to dye this so the white strip is another color (blue, green, yellow, etc) while leaving the black portion black? Logic tells me that there may be some tranference of the dye to the black, but I wonder how noticeable it would be. I'm probably using leather dye for this if I attempt it. Any thoughts? (I don't really have the resources necessary to make my own purfling.)
Thanks.

I doubt if even the white would dye well. The fiber is made for electrical insulation and seems fairly water resistant. I don't think the dye would soak to the core evenly so the minute you began to sand or scrape you would have a problem. I could be wrong. If you were to try this you would buy the white and black in separate sheets and dye only the white. You can buy colored wood veneers and that may be a better way to go.

What color are trying to get to? There are a number of suppliers that carry different colors. For what its worth, I used the purfling for an instrument where I sprayed a tinted lacquer then scraped it back to the white during the finish process, so I doubt that it would take dye.

Sheets are available..... from a number of sources..... here is a picture from our site ........ from memory I think this material is 6" x 36" x .010" and .020" thick..... this material can be cut with a knife, sawed with a correct blade, lasered etc.

http://www.waldronmusic.com/product_info.php?type=2&products_id=1261 sorry looks like I failed to show dimensions and sizes on the web-site.

Blessings,

Kevin

Thanks for posting that Kevin, I've been paying more. Is that the correct price?

Last edited:
Michael,

Price is correct per each item listed..... ( color-thickness ) We have used more of this in-house than sold..... not sure why....

Blessings,

Kevin

I appreciate all the input. Kevin, thank you, I wasn't aware of the colored fiber in sheets. I just picked up some dyed veneer I will experiment with first. If my results are not satisfactory, I'll try the fiber. I think that may be more consistant anyway.

$10 for 36" is a good price.!

This is talk about dyeing fiber, yet in the LMI link posted, the description says the black is fiber, but white part of the lamination is "white wood", which, is totally dye-able.

Top Bottom