PDA

View Full Version : My upcoming book: The Martin Ukulele

ukukuku
06-10-2013, 05:23 PM
Hi -

For the last six years I have been working on a book about Martin ukuleles. It is finally being printed, and the release date is scheduled for September 17th. The publisher, Hal Leonard, requested I put together a video trailer for them to put on their website and eventually on Amazon.com. They just loaded it to their YouTube site. Let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sio6JDkK2tw

Tom

Captain Simian
06-10-2013, 05:29 PM
When can I order one? Look like a fascination read.

fumanshu
06-10-2013, 05:32 PM
This looks very and a very nice project!!! Congrats!!!!

https://soundcloud.com/baouke/lady-standby-by-lotus-notes ........get funky.......

pdxuke
06-10-2013, 06:17 PM
Sign me up, Tom!

Hippie Dribble
06-10-2013, 06:19 PM
Wow! Can't wait Tom, looks absolutely wonderful!

coolkayaker1
06-10-2013, 07:38 PM
Sign me up, Tom!

me first!:p

teruterubouzu
06-10-2013, 07:43 PM
This looks like it will be great. Definitely looking forward to picking up a copy.

BIGDB
06-10-2013, 07:47 PM
That's looks great definitely want to get that. Are you gonna make a digital book for the iPhone or iPad also?

Tim Mullins
06-10-2013, 08:13 PM
I'm really looking forward to getting this! Looks great!

coolkayaker1
06-10-2013, 08:19 PM
I just pre-ordered a copy on Amazon. Looking forward to it, Tom.

http://www.amazon.com/Martin-Ukulele-Little-Instrument-Helped/dp/1476868794/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1370927887&sr=1-1&keywords=martin+ukulele

Dan Uke
06-10-2013, 08:23 PM
I just pre-ordered a copy on Amazon. Looking forward to it, Tom.

http://www.amazon.com/Martin-Ukulele-Little-Instrument-Helped/dp/1476868794/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1370927887&sr=1-1&keywords=martin+ukulele

Me too...Gotta take advantage of my Amazon Prime membership before it expires. I don't even own a Martin but looks like a great book! hehehe

coolkayaker1
06-11-2013, 02:31 AM
Me too...Gotta take advantage of my Amazon Prime membership before it expires. I don't even own a Martin but looks like a great book! hehehe

But you will, Daniel. The Martin force is growing dark over you. And your credit card.

teruterubouzu
06-11-2013, 03:34 AM
I pre-ordered too!

A vintage Martin will someday be mine, but only when I have the chops to play it. My ohana will suit me until then.

mm stan
06-11-2013, 03:46 AM
Oh boy I want one....thank you Tom and John....looks great....

Pukulele Pete
06-11-2013, 03:53 AM
I pre ordered this book a month ago. Can't wait for September .

ukuleledaveey
06-11-2013, 10:24 AM
looks fantastic, think i will be owning the book before i eventually hopefully one day own the holy grail :)

Boston Bill
06-11-2013, 10:31 AM
I also ordered mine about a month ago.
Good luck with the book.
Hope it is a best seller.
Bill

Dan Uke
06-11-2013, 01:08 PM
But you will, Daniel. The Martin force is growing dark over you. And your credit card.

Purchased my first one today...

coolkayaker1
06-11-2013, 01:34 PM
Purchased my first one today...
OMG! Do tell!

connor013
06-11-2013, 02:59 PM
Well done, Tom.

It's looks like it will be an interesting and entertaining read. Looking forward to it.

Liliannajohn
06-11-2013, 06:49 PM
I have pre-ordered your book, too.

blue_knight_usa
06-11-2013, 06:55 PM
HUGE CONGRATS! I just pre-ordered mine.

Chris Tarman
06-11-2013, 07:06 PM
I can't wait!

Kmetzger
06-11-2013, 07:31 PM
I just pre-ordered mine on amazon.

Tom - the book looks spectacular! The thoroughness and completeness of the production records and the way you've portrayed that in the charts and tables (at least from what I could see in your video) is fascinating. I can't wait to dive into it.

Keith

uketeecee
06-12-2013, 01:44 AM
At last! A book all about Martin ukuleles. I LOVE Martin ukes!
So happy to see a vintage 3K on the cover of the new book too.

The Martin 3K ukulele is one of finest ukuleles ever made.

Pukulele Pete
06-12-2013, 02:41 AM
Just wondering , why no hardcover ?

ukukuku
06-12-2013, 02:56 AM
Just wondering , why no hardcover ?

That was the publisher's decision. I was hoping there would be a hardcover edition, but they make the final decisions on that kind of thing. That being said, I think it will be a really nice quality softcover edition. Great color, heavy paper, and a heavyweight softcover with French flaps.

jdranger
06-12-2013, 03:31 AM
Congrats! I just pre-ordered a copy.

Lalz
06-12-2013, 05:11 AM
Wonderful! Thank you so much for writing this book. I just joined Team Pre-Order as well :)

PeteyHoudini
06-12-2013, 01:27 PM
I'll be buying one for sure!

Went back online and PRE-ORDERED! Woohoo!

Petey

Sunshine Ukulele
06-12-2013, 07:13 PM
Pre-ordered one :D

Looking forward to the book~~

I love Martin ukes too.

rpfrogner
06-28-2013, 12:09 PM
YIPPEE!!! My book arrived today! This is one very handsome book. Cant wait to dive into it later this evening.

PeteyHoudini
06-28-2013, 12:12 PM
YIPPEE!!! My book arrived today! This is one very handsome book. Cant wait to dive into it later this evening.
Lucky duck!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW - How did you get one? It seems to be still NOT out yet... what is your secret???

erivel
06-28-2013, 01:57 PM
Lucky duck!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW - How did you get one? It seems to be still NOT out yet... what is your secret???

Yes do tell!

ukukuku
06-28-2013, 02:29 PM

Wow. I am jealous - I havenít even received one yet!

About the early release - Hal Leonard was originally planning to have these printed overseas but found a domestic printer instead, which sped the process up considerably. They emailed me three days ago to say they were sending me my author's copies. I have not received them yet, but I am glad to know I should have them soon. I believe ordering directly from the Hal Leonard website was the way to go if you wanted to be first to receive it. I assume that Hal Leonard is shipping copies to Amazon and that those will go out pretty soon too.

rpfrogner
06-28-2013, 04:08 PM
Lucky duck!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did order directly through the Hal Leonard site on March 10th (as early as I could see it was available for pre-order), so as Tom said I guess this helped. I have barely touched the book and already found it to be facinating! Great book!

Patrick Madsen
06-28-2013, 08:40 PM
Ordered one thru Amazon, possible mailing date is Sept.20th/ I can wait but should have ordered thru HL.

RonT
07-04-2013, 05:29 AM
I ordered my copy from Barnes and Noble. Reports of delivery from other sources are starting to appear, anybody else order theirs from B & N?
R

pakhan
07-04-2013, 05:49 AM
Looks great!

Dan Uke
07-04-2013, 06:07 AM
Got an update from Amazon and says estimated delivery date to be July 25th-July 31st.

Nickie
07-04-2013, 06:20 PM
My apologies....
I am Martin ukulele naive...I've only seen one vintage Martin, never played it, or heard a note from it. I've seen the new Mexican Martin, but was unimpressed.
Can someone please explain to me why they are the Holy Grail of ukes? Or do I have to buy the book. LOL

Chris Tarman
07-04-2013, 06:42 PM
Nickie,
You'll have to hear one and if possible play one. Then it will all be clear.

RyanMFT
07-04-2013, 08:59 PM
My apologies....
I am Martin ukulele naive...I've only seen one vintage Martin, never played it, or heard a note from it. I've seen the new Mexican Martin, but was unimpressed.
Can someone please explain to me why they are the Holy Grail of ukes? Or do I have to buy the book. LOL

Hey Nickie,
I think I can explain. When Martin really got into ukulele production in 1916, they set the standard for build quality and consistency. If you compare their ukuleles with Hawaiian built ukuleles of the time, Martin was a much finer instrument, and they continued to build these great ukuleles for decades. Consequently, the Hawaiian builders moved to a more Martin-esque style in their ukulele building. In my view, as a vintage ukulele fanatic, most modern ukuleles are built on the Martin foundation rather than the ukuleles that were being built by the second wave of Hawaiian builders (Kumalae, Akai, Royal Hawaiian, and such).

Two other thoughts...One really never finds a bad vintage Martin ukulele and quite often, they play and sound wonderful. Also, Martin is deeply revered in the guitar world, and the name and excellent reputation follows it....deservedly so, but still, many people just think of Martin instruments as the best factory build instruments out there.

This is not to say others did not build a wonderful ukulele, but Martin was just awesome, in a way that is hard to see now since there are many finely built ukuleles available. However, Martin just got it right, and their old stuff has withstood the test to time, their vintage stuff is still usually better than the best modern stuff being built today. The combo of great materials and the best craftsmen produced great ukes...

coolkayaker1
07-05-2013, 02:21 AM
Hey Nickie,
I think I can explain. When Martin really got into ukulele production in 1916, they set the standard for build quality and consistency. If you compare their ukuleles with Hawaiian built ukuleles of the time, Martin was a much finer instrument, and they continued to build these great ukuleles for decades. Consequently, the Hawaiian builders moved to a more Martin-esque style in their ukulele building. In my view, as a vintage ukulele fanatic, most modern ukuleles are built on the Martin foundation rather than the ukuleles that were being built by the second wave of Hawaiian builders (Kumalae, Akai, Royal Hawaiian, and such).

Two other thoughts...One really never finds a bad vintage Martin ukulele and quite often, they play and sound wonderful. Also, Martin is deeply revered in the guitar world, and the name and excellent reputation follows it....deservedly so, but still, many people just think of Martin instruments as the best factory build instruments out there.

This is not to say others did not build a wonderful ukulele, but Martin was just awesome, in a way that is hard to see now since there are many finely built ukuleles available. However, Martin just got it right, and their old stuff has withstood the test to time, their vintage stuff is still usually better than the best modern stuff being built today. The combo of great materials and the best craftsmen produced great ukes...

What Ryan said. Plus, they're just so darn cute!

Nickie
07-05-2013, 06:15 PM
I've toured the Martin guitar factory, many moons ago, when I was still young. What I saw even I was unprepared for. The care that goes into each instrument is uncanny....but I didn't see an ukulele. Didn't even know they built em unitl I came to UU....
I wonder WTH they cheapened their product by taking it to Mexico? I havent talked to anyone who is impressed with that. The two that I played at Sam Ash, I wouldnt even consider....my Kala sounds better! And I'm not prejudiced, I know what I have, and it's not great, but it has seasoned well for a cheap uke.
You have convinced me to try and find an old Martin to play and hear....I wonder why Martin doens't continue that tradition? Their guitars are still holy Mother Mary awesome!!!

ichadwick
07-06-2013, 04:30 AM
I wonder WTH they cheapened their product by taking it to Mexico? I havent talked to anyone who is impressed with that.

Well, I'm impressed, so you have now heard from one.

My Mexican-made T1K is very nice and can stand against any other comparably-priced ukulele. It's got great volume, good finish, sweet tone and looks fabulous.

There are many excellent luthiers in Mexico. In fact a whole village - Paracho, in Michoacan - is dedicated to making guitars and other stringed instruments. I've played several Mexican instruments made there over a couple of decades, and not found one to be wanting. Mexico has a tradition of music and making instruments longer than America has, so show it some respect.

If you watch Chris Martin's Youtube video, he explains why they moved some production to Mexico: to make quality instruments that were within the financial reach of more people. Their strings, backpack guitars and some others are all made there. Quality control in Mexico is very high in my experience (both Apple and Blackberry products are made there, BTW).

I have confidence that Martin would not do any production anywhere without making sure the end products met their own standards. While the Mexican-made instruments are not meant to compete against their upper-end (and much more expensive) line made in the USA, from what I've seen they offer excellent as mid-level ukes.

hmgberg
07-06-2013, 08:36 AM
Oh, boy! I've just received a copy of Tom's book. It was a birthday gift to me from my friend Remco and has been so inscribed and autographed by Tom. I was thinking I ought to wait until my birthday (Monday) to open the package, well for about 3 seconds until I couldn't stand it.

I will tell you after having spent about an hour perusing this book my plans for the weekend have changed. I will not mow the lawn. I will run no errands. I may skip a meal or two, which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

This is a wonderful book: scholarly detailed, lavishly illustrated; it answers every question you could possibly imagine about Martin ukuleles. It truly covers the full range of interests from dating Martin ukuleles, the ukuleles Martin made for other distributors, custom and employee models. It's all there. Tom has also included pictures and information about the origins and history of the ukulele, prominent players, even some tidbits about other brands...so there is a tremendous amount to absorb.

This is not just a reference guide, however, although it serves that purpose in an exemplary way, it is a very entertaining way to spend a weekend (another beer, please)...I mean, a Kotex advertisement depicting a woman strumming a Martin ukulele... "Not a shadow of a doubt," indeed...Like I said, it's all there.

@Tom: I could provide you with a picture of a 1915-1917, dreadnought-shaped, Ditson for the next edition of this book;)

ukukuku
07-06-2013, 01:05 PM
Hi hmgberg -

Thanks for the compliments - I'm really happy you are enjoying the book so much. I have sent you a PM about your Ditson dreadnought.

For those interested, Amazon is listing the book saying "usually ships in 2 to 4 weeks." I am hoping that will soon change and that it will just be listed as "in stock." However, Elderly Instruments has the book in stock now: Link (http://elderly.com/books/items/49-109376.htm) and I am also going start selling copies myself. My new website should be up and running by Monday or Tuesday. Of course, I will be happy to sign copies of the book also.

ichadwick
07-08-2013, 01:57 AM
I forgot to add: have to get the book... hope it's also available on Amazon.ca....

coolkayaker1
07-08-2013, 02:10 AM
Where am I?

I fainted back into my divan when I read that Howard owns a 1915ish dreadnought Ditson Martin.

Goodnight, Irene!

Raygf
07-08-2013, 04:04 AM
I've toured the Martin guitar factory, many moons ago, when I was still young. What I saw even I was unprepared for. The care that goes into each instrument is uncanny....but I didn't see an ukulele. Didn't even know they built em unitl I came to UU....
I wonder WTH they cheapened their product by taking it to Mexico? I havent talked to anyone who is impressed with that. The two that I played at Sam Ash, I wouldnt even consider....my Kala sounds better! And I'm not prejudiced, I know what I have, and it's not great, but it has seasoned well for a cheap uke.
You have convinced me to try and find an old Martin to play and hear....I wonder why Martin doens't continue that tradition? Their guitars are still holy Mother Mary awesome!!!

I've toured the Martin factory in PA twice in the last three years, most recently April 3rd of this year. I played 4 ukuleles that day, a 2 Concert, a 2K concert and a 2K tenor. After palying for 15 minutes or so, the sales rep brought out #2 of the 1T Iz commemorative model which was not for sale. Needless to say, was honored that he brought it out for me to play. You couldn't wipe the smile off of my face for the rest of the day. I wanted all three (all four actually). After playing them for over 45 minutes I always walk away and try to catch my breath and come to some decision. I did not buy that day and it's a very long story that I will not get into, but I now own a 2K tenor (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/album.php?albumid=1976). I haven't done a New Uke Day post for it yet, but I uploaded photos to my albums.

In this Chris Martin video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrk_n6Nr5lI) from June 2011, he explains how they got back into making ukuleles in PA. Their Japanese distributor was persistent about buying ukuleles. Martin started with the 5Ks and the Japanese wanted 50 to start. At the time of this video he says they are making thousands.

I think/hope/would recommend this book be read by everyone involved in making ukuleles at Martin. I'm certainly looking forward to reading it.

All of the Mexican made C1K and T1Ks that I have played have all been excellent instruments. My local acoustic music instrument store, Appalachian Bluegrass Shoppe, in Baltimore carries them and they sell quite a few, so over the past year or so I've played more than 10.

It's a joy and a pleasure every time I get to play a vintage Martin. I'm grateful that I do not have the vintage bug, because I would be in big trouble. They are something special.

Pukulele Pete
07-08-2013, 06:27 AM
Hi hmgberg -

Thanks for the compliments - I'm really happy you are enjoying the book so much. I have sent you a PM about your Ditson dreadnought.

For those interested, Amazon is listing the book saying "usually ships in 2 to 4 weeks." I am hoping that will soon change and that it will just be listed as "in stock." However, Elderly Instruments has the book in stock now: Link (http://elderly.com/books/items/49-109376.htm) and I am also going start selling copies myself. My new website should be up and running by Monday or Tuesday. Of course, I will be happy to sign copies of the book also.

I preordered through Amazon at the middle of April , I just checked today and they say I might get it at the end of July
or the beginning of August . Not too happy with Amazon.

hmgberg
07-08-2013, 07:15 AM
Where am I?

I fainted back into my divan when I read that Howard owns a 1915ish dreadnought Ditson Martin.

Goodnight, Irene!

Cute, Steve :-). It's likely 1916 but it has no position markers, so it's very early. I bought it from a loveli woman whose son was a concert violinist and collector of stringed instruments. It's in great shape apart from a small chip in the nut and a missing wooden peg. Wonderful ukulele. Winin' Boy (Fred) is the real expert on Ditsons. There are some great pictures of Fred's ukuleles in Tom's book.

RyanMFT
07-08-2013, 10:13 AM
I am also going start selling copies myself. My new website should be up and running by Monday or Tuesday. Of course, I will be happy to sign copies of the book also.

Tom, congratulations on your book release! Would you let us know when your website is up as I would like to order one from you. In anticipation of getting your book, I have been playing my Martin more....when I play it, I am always amazed at what an exceptional ukulele it is.

PeteyHoudini
07-09-2013, 12:39 PM
I pre-ordered my copy from "The Book Depository" and I just received an email from them that the book will be dispatched in just a few days. Woohoo!

I shall have some fine summer reading while I'm laid up due to my back. 8-(

Petey

ukukuku
07-09-2013, 01:23 PM
Tom, congratulations on your book release! Would you let us know when your website is up as I would like to order one from you.

Hi Ryan -

I just got my website up and running. themartinukulele.com (http://themartinukulele.com)

I have books here ready to go out Priority Mail. Sorry to those that ordered from Amazon - I am surprised that they haven’t started shipping yet. On Amazon you can get it through many "other sellers" who have it in stock. It is in stock at Elderly Instruments as well.

Thanks to everyone for their interest.

Pukulele Pete
07-11-2013, 10:58 AM
I just checked and I preordered from Amazon April 20 and I'm still waiting for this book. I thought Amazon would be the place to get it but it seems everywhere else was the place to get it. :mad::drool:
I'm not too happy with Amazon, but I'm drooling waiting to get my hands on this book. Geez .

Steveperrywriter
07-11-2013, 02:47 PM
Great, just ordered a copy from your site. Looking forward to it!

Steve

OldePhart
07-11-2013, 02:52 PM
Okay...totally off topic...but this thread has been running for a month now and every darned time I see the title my brain sees, "The Martian Ukulele" - even though I've seen the thread title dozens of times now and absolutely know better.

Is that weird or what?

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread...

John

Pukulele Pete
07-15-2013, 02:49 AM
I'm still waiting for Amazon ,......and now I want a Martian Ukulele , damn that UAS.

Steveperrywriter
07-17-2013, 12:25 PM
Hmm. Seems like my note got et ...

I will try again: This is a great book, Tom, I am thoroughly enjoying it, even though I don't own a Martin and probably won't.

You should write one on the Third Wave luthiers, I would buy that one.

Steve

Gerry M
07-17-2013, 02:01 PM
Tom, your video trailer is very professional looking and the information presented is excellent.

Congratulations on a job well done...

Tim Mullins
07-17-2013, 05:33 PM
Good news! Amazon just emailed me: "New estimated arrival date: July 23, 2013 - July 27, 2013."

I ordered my copy June 11th, so I'm pretty ready for it to arrive!

Johnny GDS
07-17-2013, 06:45 PM
Man that is looking really cool. I'll definitely be getting a copy ASAP. Very cool.

Pukulele Pete
07-18-2013, 01:45 AM
Finally ,........ my copy should be here in a couple days. I preordered from Amazon April 20 and it is finally coming. Yee Haaa.

WhenDogsSing
07-23-2013, 09:12 AM
I ordered the book from Elderly and got it in 2 days. Tom has done a wonderful job with this. The book is extremely interesting, full of information and loaded with pictures. The quality of the soft cover version is exceptional. I especially liked the section where other ukulele brands are showcased. Anyone with an interest in ukuleles should have this book in their library.

kvehe
07-23-2013, 10:25 AM
I received mine yesterday, and spent a very pleasant evening skimming it. Its arrival partially compensated for the fact that I couldn't get to the post office in time to pick up a new-to-me uke waiting for me there. Tonight I'll begin reading it in earnest. It looks like a wonderful book, with terrific photos and interesting tidbits of Martin lore.

coolkayaker1
07-23-2013, 11:11 AM
Finally ,........ my copy should be here in a couple days. I pre-ordered from Amazon April 20 and it is finally coming. Yee Haaa. PPete, that's outrageous; I ordered mine from Amazon a week and a half ago and got it today. You should call Amazon and see why they're treating you like a second class citizen. lol

Well, for what it's worth, I agree with Kathryn: this book looks AMAZING! I had a quick flip and it is so colorful, bigger than I thought, and is on rich, quality paper. (add applause here)

It'll be my companion in bed, at the kitchen table and on the throne for the next few days.

PeteyHoudini
07-23-2013, 02:17 PM
Picked up mine at the "PO" today. Anyway who knows Fawlty Towers will get that lame joke! hehe

Anyway, it's an amazing book about the Martin ukulele saga and worth it's weight in gold!!! Great book including even about my new Martin ukes!!! hehe I will read this book from cover to cover. Love it! Thanks!!!

Petey

coolkayaker1
07-24-2013, 05:03 AM
Read 45 pages of the book last night. Amaziiiing! The photos are out if this world, too, both for quality, and for the things chosen to photograph (like the old records of Martin). It's truly well written, and exhaustively researched.

God, can you imagine...in someone's attic somewhere, there might be one of the original six Bergstrom-ordered spruce top Martin ukuleles.

I'm cleaning my attic today!

PeteyHoudini
07-25-2013, 02:03 PM
I *love* this book. I've been enjoying it page after page. Never had a clue about so many interesting details about the history of the ukulele (not just about Martins).

It also really gives insight into Martin's business practices. Interesting reading. They were even going to work with Gibson!

I'd like to thank Tom and John for this wonderful book! 8-)

Petey

ichadwick
08-08-2013, 01:39 AM
Just got mine yesterday. Looks very good - I will add it to my resources on my review pages when I review my TK1. Thanks for your effort. I haven't looked into it yet, but do you cover the new Martins as well?

coolkayaker1
08-08-2013, 07:11 AM
He does, ichadwick. There's not much to say on them, though.

This book is amazing. I've read it cover to cover now, and learned so much. I like how it breaks down one thing--like just tuners, for instance--and gives the entire history of when Martin changed them out to different styles, the year, etc. With photos, no less.

It's also amazing to me that Mr. Walsh could get the best known production counts of years and styles for each uke type, plus all the subtypes (Selmer, Wulitzer, Ditons, etc.). This is a book I will refer back to a gazillion times. I reviewed it positively on Amazon. It's the single best ukulele book I've ever seen.

Tim Mullins
08-08-2013, 08:50 AM
It's the single best ukulele book I've ever seen.

+1. It's a beautiful book and was worth the wait! Great job, Tom!

Gerry M
08-08-2013, 11:52 AM
I also would like to add my congratulations on the book.

I have just finished it and was very impressed with the book's quality, the research you fellows did, and the beautiful photos.

A job well done.

Congratulations!

Ukejenny
08-08-2013, 01:00 PM
I have missed this. The video is great and I will be looking for the book. Amazing job.

uketeecee
08-09-2013, 04:37 AM
Wow, my copy arrived with a vintage Martin 3K ukulele attached to the cover.

This book is a must-read for every ukulele fan.

Chris Tarman
08-19-2013, 06:48 AM
I FINALLY got around to ordering mine... not sure what took me so long! I can't wait to get it!

peewee
08-19-2013, 07:24 AM
the book is as good as they say..I thank you, my 3 martins thank you..great work, tons of facts and documents.
love it

jinsk90
08-19-2013, 08:02 AM
Agree with everyone else. Really good book with excellent pictures and details. Excellent job Mr Tom Walsh!

BigMamaJ40
08-19-2013, 08:34 AM
I devoured this book in 2 days. And what's even better, I know it will be a great reference in the years to come. Great book -- thanks for seeing it to completion!

coolkayaker1
08-20-2013, 08:50 AM
I FINALLY got around to ordering mine... not sure what took me so long! I can't wait to get it!

Chris--the book's going to blow your mind. Steve

coolkayaker1
08-22-2013, 03:45 PM
Cute, Steve :-). It's likely 1916 but it has no position markers, so it's very early. I bought it from a loveli woman whose son was a concert violinist and collector of stringed instruments. It's in great shape apart from a small chip in the nut and a missing wooden peg. Wonderful ukulele. Winin' Boy (Fred) is the real expert on Ditsons. There are some great pictures of Fred's ukuleles in Tom's book.

Howard, can you not find a single peg for that lovely 1916?

prairieschooner
08-22-2013, 04:23 PM
Me too! Just ordered it.

hmgberg
08-22-2013, 04:51 PM
Howard, can you not find a single peg for that lovely 1916?

No, I haven't Steve. Someone has listed a Martin soprano on Ebay "with extras." Among said extras are two pegs just like the one I need. I offered to buy the pegs, but I guess he thinks of them as an inducement to buy the ukulele. It's been listed for months.

I've been using a pair pulled from another uke. They fit, but they don't match. I've got one of the pegs up at my friend's shop, the guy I build with; when he fires up the lathe, he'll make a duplicate.

I'd prefer an original, but...

The Ditson is nice. I did a minimal amount of fretwork to it. That's it.

coolkayaker1
08-22-2013, 06:31 PM
No, I haven't Steve. Someone has listed a Martin soprano on Ebay "with extras." Among said extras are two pegs just like the one I need. I offered to buy the pegs, but I guess he thinks of them as an inducement to buy the ukulele. It's been listed for months.

I've been using a pair pulled from another uke. They fit, but they don't match. I've got one of the pegs up at my friend's shop, the guy I build with; when he fires up the lathe, he'll make a duplicate.

I'd prefer an original, but...

The Ditson is nice. I did a minimal amount of fretwork to it. That's it.

Howard, is the extras on the one with all the pegs out of NJ. Maybe we can work something out where we split the lot--I'd like the uke (maybe, I'd have to look again) but not all the extras. You need the extras for your projects, and plus that one peg. Hmmm.

Prairieschooner, it's great to see your enthusiasm for Martins. The books rocks out. I;m sorry I don;t have my copy this weekend to answer the question you PM'ed me. Now you're getting one--good idea. It's well worth the cost. You'll use it for decades.

hmgberg
08-23-2013, 07:28 AM
Howard, is the extras on the one with all the pegs out of NJ. Maybe we can work something out where we split the lot--I'd like the uke (maybe, I'd have to look again) but not all the extras. You need the extras for your projects, and plus that one peg. Hmmm.

Prairieschooner, it's great to see your enthusiasm for Martins. The books rocks out. I;m sorry I don;t have my copy this weekend to answer the question you PM'ed me. Now you're getting one--good idea. It's well worth the cost. You'll use it for decades.

Yes, that's the one. You should look again to be sure, Steve. The uke has a couple of cracks. You might be able to do better, price wise.

coolkayaker1
08-23-2013, 08:46 AM
Yeah, but I was going to pay $250 for the cracked uke and you can pay $400 for all the junk that goes with it. You do want that peg wicked badly, right??

LOL Kidding. You have a point about the uke, my friend. Hmm.

whepper
08-23-2013, 09:06 AM
I also ordered the book and received it today. Love it. Didn't know there was so much to tell about Martin ukuleles and the history of the uke in general. Did a quick read this afternoon. Love all the images! :)

Chris Tarman
08-29-2013, 06:31 PM
My signed copy arrived this afternoon just after I got home from work (Thanks Tom!). I flipped through it quickly this afternoon, but won't get to REALLY look at it before tomorrow evening. It looks great, though, and I'm really looking forward to digging into it!

prairieschooner
08-29-2013, 07:02 PM
My 40's or so Tenor is on it's way!

Mistyface
08-29-2013, 08:05 PM
It is really nice man!!!!! I am look forward to get this in the book shop^^

coolkayaker1
08-29-2013, 08:42 PM
Tom, I did get your PM about the tallies in the book and I appreciate it. I sure love this book (and wrote an Amazon review of it--highly positive!).

Ps, be sure to starts a thread or put photos of that tenor on UU someplace. Excited to see it.

'face, you'll love Walsh/King.

Chris Tarman
08-30-2013, 02:57 AM
I've already learned that, based on their tuners, my Style 3 and Style 2 are a little older than I had thought ('23-'27 and '27-'29, respectively). I'll have to update my signature line!

GeorgeUke
08-30-2013, 04:19 AM
Mine has been dispatched, looking forward to it :)

HBolte
08-30-2013, 04:57 AM
Received mine this week. Looks to be very well done! I'll dig into it this weekend.

Thanks!!!

river_driver
08-30-2013, 12:19 PM
Got my copy today! I am completely blown away - way more than I was anticipating!

ichadwick
08-30-2013, 03:16 PM
Got mine. Suitably impressed. Keep it beside my Martin T1K uke.

Chris Tarman
08-30-2013, 04:18 PM
Got mine. Suitably impressed. Keep it beside my Martin T1K uke.

I read that as "Subtly impressed" at first, and I thought "That Ian guy sure doesn't impress easily!". :-)

electrauke
08-30-2013, 06:21 PM
Looks super-cool, I will be ordering one!

coolkayaker1
08-30-2013, 07:12 PM
Tom. Seriously, what does it feel like to write the go to book for Martin ukes. Did you know it would be a book mentioned now and for perpetuity when dating and referencing Martins?

PhilUSAFRet
09-02-2013, 01:38 PM
I just received one for my Birthday today and I gotta say, THIS BOOK IS FREAKIN AWESOME!!!! :bowdown: It's one of the finest books I've seen in a reference book. The history and photos set a new standard in instrument books. It's an absolute "must have" for any Martin lover. I could go on and on, but you get the idea. I love this book.

PS: I also got a red Martin ball cap to go with it too. :shaka:

ukegirl
09-02-2013, 04:50 PM
Reading though it now...love it! Well done!

coolkayaker1
09-02-2013, 06:11 PM
The book even smells good. Take a whiff!

Try that with a Kindle.