PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good tuner

Flip27
06-10-2013, 07:00 PM
what brands of tuners are worth their price? My cousin has a clip on tuner and it's the Snark brand. Works pretty well and it is selling on eBay for around $8.99-12.99.

What tuners do you guys use? How well does it work? Worth the price?

Chap
06-10-2013, 07:01 PM
Snark SN-2. Works great, and cheap.

The Big Kahuna
06-10-2013, 07:11 PM
This ^^

Ignore any and all subsequent advice that differs in any way from the above :)

Although HMS are selling a Kala with a built in metronome that Andrew rates very highly.

http://www.theukulelesite.com/kala-kc-03-clip-on-tuner-metronome.html

igorthebarbarian
06-10-2013, 08:51 PM
^ 3rd'ing the Snark SN2. It's a good deal at $10.83 on amazon.
It's pretty idiot-proof because I figured out how to work it!

7warriorlion
06-10-2013, 09:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs72wTgArDs

Flip27
06-10-2013, 09:57 PM
how about the sn-5? an does the sn-2 only come in blacK

Lime
06-10-2013, 10:49 PM
Is there something wrong with using a smartphone app?

Hms
06-11-2013, 12:29 AM
There are various Snarks, the red is chromatic so will tune any instrument, not just ukes, and also has a metronome, (little flashing light iirc, not sure as I haven't used it.) It also has a BPS function, tap out the beat and it will tell you the BPS.
The other versions of Snark are either uke only or do not have all the functions of the red Snark.
H

Flip27
06-11-2013, 12:42 AM
There are various Snarks, the red is chromatic so will tune any instrument, not just ukes, and also has a metronome, (little flashing light iirc, not sure as I haven't used it.) It also has a BPS function, tap out the beat and it will tell you the BPS.
The other versions of Snark are either uke only or do not have all the functions of the red Snark.
H

excellent! thanks for this. i found out the snark sn-6 is for ukes only, so i went ahead and bought the sn-2 (red).

The Big Kahuna
06-11-2013, 01:27 AM
Wow......LOL "Ignore any and all previous advice above that differs in any way from mine" Interesting reply. Here's my take on the matter:

What I actually said was "Ignore any and all subsequent advice that differs in any way from the above"

I was just confirming my support for the previous poster.

Anyway...Snark seem to bring out a new tuner, or change their existing ones, on a regular basis. The reason I always recommend the SN2 is because it has finer graduations than the other Snarks I have experience with. The SN10, for example (which I also have) has what I believe to be 5 cent graduations, as opposed to the SN2, which has 3 cent graduations. Having the ability to compare the two side-by-side (and both attached to a Uke at the same time) I can confirm that the SN2 is considerably more accurate. Where the SN10 (and the cheap Kala that I also have) will display the string as being in tune, the SN2 will show that it is sharp or flat.

Update:

It would appear as though the SN6 is just a differently coloured SN2. So, just avoid the SN10.

OldePhart
06-11-2013, 06:41 AM

Nothing at all...though if you are in a noisy room it can be more difficult. I have Da Tuner Pro on my old android phone and it is a superb tuner. That said, for convenience it's really hard to beat a Snark SN-2 and I use them more often than any other tuner. The only time I pull out the "big guns" like my Strobo-Clip and Da Tuner Pro is when I'm doing a setup or otherwise want a more precise display than the Snark is capable of.

John

Pikagirl
06-11-2013, 07:40 AM
I've had relatively good luck with the little Korg I have (about $15) and it runs relatively true compared to my smart phone app and my heavy duty hammered dulcimer tuner.

Tootler
06-11-2013, 07:46 AM
+1 for Snark sn2

Last night, I was sat by a guitarist who had forgotten his tuner. I have Da tuner lite on my Android phone and it works fine in a quiet environment but last night there was too much noise (mostly other instruments) around and it simply could not pick up the guitar.

A decent clip on tuner is the best solution. I find the snark clear and accurate.

PhilUSAFRet
06-11-2013, 08:07 AM

I believe Jake uses one

Lime
06-11-2013, 10:59 AM
Nothing at all...though if you are in a noisy room it can be more difficult. I have Da Tuner Pro on my old android phone and it is a superb tuner. That said, for convenience it's really hard to beat a Snark SN-2 and I use them more often than any other tuner. The only time I pull out the "big guns" like my Strobo-Clip and Da Tuner Pro is when I'm doing a setup or otherwise want a more precise display than the Snark is capable of.

John

Oh, okay. I use one for my violin and guitar and it seems to work, so I was just wondering. The kit I ordered for my daughter's ukulele includes a clip-on tuner, but I don't remember what brand it is. I think having a clip-on one will be convenient.

Also, if it works better with background noise, that would be nice! The moment I decide to tune an instrument is usually the moment my children decide to start dancing around me and singing. I guess they figure, I'm making noise on an instrument, they should be making noise too.

Shastastan
06-11-2013, 01:34 PM
I have the blue Snark. Don't know what model it is, but it works great for my ukes. I have a cellphone tuner which is fine if there is no background noise. The blue snark is tough. Don't know how many times I have dropped mine. I would get a red one if something happens to my blue one. We also have a Korg to tune our horns, but it's affected by the washer and dryer, ceiling fans any everything else.Get a Snark but don't snarky in the process. Sorry, I couldn't resist...:)

srpompon
06-11-2013, 04:43 PM
Peterson stroboclip is a nice choice, keep all time in your uke like Jake Shimabukuro in her videos.

Seriously is a little expensive ($60.-) but very accurate.

Ivan

The Big Kahuna
06-11-2013, 07:11 PM
like Jake Shimabukuro in her videos.

Dude, I'm not sure how to break this to you...

bobO G
06-12-2013, 03:41 AM
The D'Addario miniheadstock tuner love mine , works like a charm . Got mine at GC for about 25.00 $ .

bnolsen
06-12-2013, 03:54 AM
I have a red snark (any instrument) and a blue snark (vibration only). Both are very good tuners. I also have a cherub for ukulele which I think is just fine for an already tuned instrument, but you'd better get that for less than half a snark.

To make the blue snark into a general sound tuner just play your instrument close to your ukulele, enough to make it resonate. I've done that in a pinch for ocarina practice.

Karasu
06-12-2013, 08:13 AM
Used the Snark SN-2 for about a month. Stopped working at all. Decided I wanted a more accurate tuner, so I pulled the trigger on the Peterson Stroboclip. Never looked back. GREAT (if expensive) tuner.

srpompon
06-12-2013, 12:13 PM
Dude, I'm not sure how to break this to you...

haha.... is his? no her? ....

I have two goals in my life.

1 - Learn to play the ukulele
2 - Learn English

for now ... I'm not good with any.

:(

OldePhart
06-12-2013, 12:56 PM
Used the Snark SN-2 for about a month. Stopped working at all. Decided I wanted a more accurate tuner, so I pulled the trigger on the Peterson Stroboclip. Never looked back. GREAT (if expensive) tuner.

I have the Stroboclip and it is a great tuner but mine eats batteries even when turned off, so I have to take the battery out after every use - not very nice. It's also kind of heavy on the headstock for every day use. It's great when doing setups and the like, though.

The Snarks are a bit delicate. I've broken the clips off two of them - one by forgetting to take it off the headstock and closing a case on it, the other just a couple of weeks ago at UWC when I carelessly banged it against a metal tent pole.

Oh well, they're cheap :)

John

willisoften
06-12-2013, 01:19 PM
I have Snark and usually it is great but even with a new battery, it will often refuse to register on vibration setting at all. Usually switching off and back on will cure it but...
Intelli MT500 /600 happier registering hamonics usually a fifth above. Drives me nuts. GoGo lovely display, sounds like shit when tuned - miles off. Some people like em so I think its a QA issue.

Best results so far Korg CA40 and a contact microphone, bit fiddly though.

Newportlocal
06-12-2013, 03:02 PM
I am the odd guy who has not gotten a Snark, but I know they are highly regarded.
I had an old intelli a long time ago I liked the way the arrows displayed on it.
I love my gogo tiki tuner. It is small and much more accurate than I would have thought. I guess I got lucky on mine. Very little adjustment when I check it against my Peterson Stroboclip. My Stroboclip hasn't been eating batteries at all. I doubt I will buy another tuner for quite some time. My Tiki gogo tuner is good for right after string changes, and then I dial it in with my Peterson once my strings start to settle. I have no regrets on getting my Peterson. I think the Peterson temporarily cured my tuner acquisition syndrome.

Tele295
06-12-2013, 04:10 PM
Big Snark fan here

OldePhart
06-13-2013, 06:49 AM
Intelli MT500 /600 happier registering hamonics usually a fifth above. .
My old Intellitouch (first generation) tuner loves to do that - I've seen other tuners do it a little but nothing like that old intellitouch. It drove me nuts, too. :)

John

Sparkle
06-13-2013, 06:56 AM
I got a Planet Waves tuner that is designed to stay and be stowed on the headstock. It seems to work great, more accurately than my Snark (red.) It's vibration only.

http://www.stewmac.com/shopby/item/0811?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=2013-06-gp&gclid=CJrHgJzA4bcCFYSk4AodmEkAAA

At this point, I've broken two snarks. The plastic join just isn't tough enough to carry around.

bobO G
06-13-2013, 07:20 AM
I got a Planet Waves tuner that is designed to stay and be stowed on the headstock. It seems to work great, more accurately than my Snark (red.) It's vibration only.

http://www.stewmac.com/shopby/item/0811?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=2013-06-gp&gclid=CJrHgJzA4bcCFYSk4AodmEkAAA

At this point, I've broken two snarks. The plastic join just isn't tough enough to carry around.

Same one I have , love it !

willisoften
06-14-2013, 07:52 PM
I love my gogo tiki tuner. It is small and much more accurate than I would have thought. I guess I got lucky on mine. Very little adjustment when I check it against my Peterson Stroboclip.

The Tiki is a different model I had a "TT-1 GoGo Tuner".

Newportlocal
06-14-2013, 08:27 PM
The Tiki is a different model I had a "TT-1 GoGo Tuner".

Good to know. I thought maybe i just got lucky on the quality control on mine. I have been very happy with it. Makes my tuning a breeze. It has been really durable I always leave it out. The Peterson I baby a lot and keep it in the canister it came with when I am not using it. I like both of them a lot.