Looking for a good tuner

Flip27

Reaction score
what brands of tuners are worth their price? My cousin has a clip on tuner and it's the Snark brand. Works pretty well and it is selling on eBay for around $8.99-12.99.

What tuners do you guys use? How well does it work? Worth the price?

Snark SN-2. Works great, and cheap.

^ 3rd'ing the Snark SN2. It's a good deal at $10.83 on amazon.
It's pretty idiot-proof because I figured out how to work it!

how about the sn-5? an does the sn-2 only come in blacK

Last edited:
There are various Snarks, the red is chromatic so will tune any instrument, not just ukes, and also has a metronome, (little flashing light iirc, not sure as I haven't used it.) It also has a BPS function, tap out the beat and it will tell you the BPS.
The other versions of Snark are either uke only or do not have all the functions of the red Snark.
H

There are various Snarks, the red is chromatic so will tune any instrument, not just ukes, and also has a metronome, (little flashing light iirc, not sure as I haven't used it.) It also has a BPS function, tap out the beat and it will tell you the BPS.
The other versions of Snark are either uke only or do not have all the functions of the red Snark.
H

excellent! thanks for this. i found out the snark sn-6 is for ukes only, so i went ahead and bought the sn-2 (red).

Wow......LOL "Ignore any and all previous advice above that differs in any way from mine" Interesting reply. Here's my take on the matter:

What I actually said was "Ignore any and all subsequent advice that differs in any way from the above"

I was just confirming my support for the previous poster.

Anyway...Snark seem to bring out a new tuner, or change their existing ones, on a regular basis. The reason I always recommend the SN2 is because it has finer graduations than the other Snarks I have experience with. The SN10, for example (which I also have) has what I believe to be 5 cent graduations, as opposed to the SN2, which has 3 cent graduations. Having the ability to compare the two side-by-side (and both attached to a Uke at the same time) I can confirm that the SN2 is considerably more accurate. Where the SN10 (and the cheap Kala that I also have) will display the string as being in tune, the SN2 will show that it is sharp or flat.

Update:

It would appear as though the SN6 is just a differently coloured SN2. So, just avoid the SN10.

Last edited:
Is there something wrong with using a smartphone app?

Nothing at all...though if you are in a noisy room it can be more difficult. I have Da Tuner Pro on my old android phone and it is a superb tuner. That said, for convenience it's really hard to beat a Snark SN-2 and I use them more often than any other tuner. The only time I pull out the "big guns" like my Strobo-Clip and Da Tuner Pro is when I'm doing a setup or otherwise want a more precise display than the Snark is capable of.

John

I've had relatively good luck with the little Korg I have (about $15) and it runs relatively true compared to my smart phone app and my heavy duty hammered dulcimer tuner.

+1 for Snark sn2

Last night, I was sat by a guitarist who had forgotten his tuner. I have Da tuner lite on my Android phone and it works fine in a quiet environment but last night there was too much noise (mostly other instruments) around and it simply could not pick up the guitar.

A decent clip on tuner is the best solution. I find the snark clear and accurate.

Nothing at all...though if you are in a noisy room it can be more difficult. I have Da Tuner Pro on my old android phone and it is a superb tuner. That said, for convenience it's really hard to beat a Snark SN-2 and I use them more often than any other tuner. The only time I pull out the "big guns" like my Strobo-Clip and Da Tuner Pro is when I'm doing a setup or otherwise want a more precise display than the Snark is capable of.

John

Oh, okay. I use one for my violin and guitar and it seems to work, so I was just wondering. The kit I ordered for my daughter's ukulele includes a clip-on tuner, but I don't remember what brand it is. I think having a clip-on one will be convenient.

Also, if it works better with background noise, that would be nice! The moment I decide to tune an instrument is usually the moment my children decide to start dancing around me and singing. I guess they figure, I'm making noise on an instrument, they should be making noise too.

I have the blue Snark. Don't know what model it is, but it works great for my ukes. I have a cellphone tuner which is fine if there is no background noise. The blue snark is tough. Don't know how many times I have dropped mine. I would get a red one if something happens to my blue one. We also have a Korg to tune our horns, but it's affected by the washer and dryer, ceiling fans any everything else.Get a Snark but don't snarky in the process. Sorry, I couldn't resist...:)

Peterson stroboclip is a nice choice, keep all time in your uke like Jake Shimabukuro in her videos.

o9HDY.AuSt.7.JPG

Seriously is a little expensive ($60.-) but very accurate.

Ivan

The D'Addario miniheadstock tuner love mine , works like a charm . Got mine at GC for about 25.00 $ .

I have a red snark (any instrument) and a blue snark (vibration only). Both are very good tuners. I also have a cherub for ukulele which I think is just fine for an already tuned instrument, but you'd better get that for less than half a snark.

To make the blue snark into a general sound tuner just play your instrument close to your ukulele, enough to make it resonate. I've done that in a pinch for ocarina practice.

Top Bottom