Milo and Ancient Spruce Concert

BR Ukuleles

Reaction score
I've managed to clear my workbench off this past weekend with several instruments off to new homes. All of them a little unusual in one way or another.

This one is Milo and some 3000 year old Sitka Spruce with curly Jarrah trim.

andrea_teo-4.jpgandrea_teo-5.jpgandrea_teo.jpgandrea_teo-2.jpgandrea_teo-3.jpg

The milo looks great. Your heel to body is a nice look. Where does Milo timber originate from?( I guess it`s not Woolies;)

I must say, I am really digging your ancient spruce instruments...

The milo looks great. Your heel to body is a nice look. Where does Milo timber originate from?( I guess it`s not Woolies;)

Milo grows in Hawaii and and is found in areas throughout Oceania ("miro" in Polynesia). It grows sporadically along the beaches and is generally in pretty short supply. Its related to the hibiscus and is usually a pretty small tree. But I'm not sure it could even be called a true "timber" in the usual sense.

Last edited:
Since Chuck weighed in, I'll note my Moore Bettah is spruce and milo. I wasn't familiar with milo before I bought it, but it is a beautiful tonewood and pairs with spruce exceptionally well.

The heel detail came about from a stuff up on an instrument I was building some time ago. You know, one of those little details to fix something that went wrong. It was one of the things that consistently got positive comments from people, so overnight it became one design element that goes onto all of my instruments now.

The Milo I have has all come from Brett at curlykoatonewoods.com He's been a pleasure to deal with.

Just beautiful. I really love the segmented rosettes on your instruments. 3000 year old spruce? Amazing! Not to highjack your thread, but with all the discussion lately of baking fretboards, I wonder how that technique would work on a not-so-old spruce sound board as well.

Several years ago there was a discussion on the OLF about baking soundboards. Not to the point of turning them brown, but more to quick age them for a vintage sound. From memory it was a low oven like 150F. I've never done it. Really couldn't offer any informed comment on it's merits or not.

I too Like Rich have a Milo / Spruce from Chuckie...I have to say with all the high end ukes I have played and owned....this one sings to me.... this is " My Top Gun Holy Grail", never played a better uke than this..Promise.. :)

I too Like Rich have a Milo / Spruce from Chuckie...I have to say with all the high end ukes I have played and owned....this one sings to me.... this is " My Top Gun Holy Grail", never played a better uke than this..Promise.. :)

yeah Stan your (Milo/Spruce) uke hard to beat sound/tone wise it is the best I played so far....and the Milo is beautiful..congrats again

Last edited:
Last edited:
It sounds like Sitka, but not quite like the new stuff. I'd say it leans towards a hardwood sound. I've built everything from a soprano through baritone with the Ancient Spruce now, and each size of instrument does present it's own characteristics associated with body size.

Top Bottom