Mystery Ukulele Brand

NOTLguy

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I visited my local music shop yesterday looking to try out a premium ukulele. I have a Lanikai CK-C and wondered what an expensive ukulele would sound and play like.

I picked up a glossy finish tenor ukulele and started to play it. The sound was wonderful and the ease of playing was evident. It was perfectly in tune all the way up the neck. It was discounted at $420 on clearance and the name on the instrument was "MOLAKAI". The store has a new owner and they are clearing out the old stock.

When I compared it to other ukuleles in the $150 range, it was clear that this was a very fine ukulele. When I got home I tried to look up Molakai on the net to see more about the brand and found nothing. Even searching this forum, I can't get a hit on Molakai.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Regards,
Bill

Looked at the site. Thank you for that. That ukulele seems to have a crest on the head-stock where the one I saw in the store had just the name across the top. It is very new and would not be from the 90's era as well so I am still mystified.

I have asked the store to give me further info on it as well.

Regards,
Bill

After finally talking to the previous owner of the music store I found out the they dealt with a fellow from Toronto who distributed ukuleles that he had made after taking trips to China. He named these ukuleles "Molakai" and distributed them in Southern Ontario music stores. They don't seem to be available anymore except for this one instrument.

That said, the Ukulele did have a very nice sound but I doubt it is the quality of higher quality ukuleles from the islands.

Regards,
Bill

Thanks to your curiosity, I have known about my uke eventually. I am in Toronto and a few days ago I bought a concert uke from this brand with case in a local music shop. I googled again and again in different ways, trying to find more information about the brand. At last I saw this post. Thank you very much!

Top Bottom