A Song for the Protesters in Turkey (and all others opposing tyranny)

Barbablanca

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I wrote a song and did a video for the protesters in Turkey - time to share it here, I think.

It combines original verses (and a middle eight) of mine with the old Woody Guthrie question: "Which Side Are You On?"

The section of the video where you only see smaller images was supposed to have me in a box alongside continuing to sing, while those images flashed up beside me. It all worked fine on the editing screen, but I didn't know enough to ensure it transferred to the final video. I'm still learning to use this new editor. Magix make some great, value for money software, but their explanations leave a lot to be desired, despite video tutorials, etc.

Lyrics in the main description on YouTube

PS You get to see me play my Saz (bought in Istanbul) on this one!

Great, Barba!
Hey, the other day Fernando was singing your song, the one you did for your australian girlfriend and played in our season, remember? haha Just great!

Great, Barba!
Hey, the other day Fernando was singing your song, the one you did for your australian girlfriend and played in our season, remember? haha Just great!

"Oh my love is in Australia...." being sung in Brazil!!!! That's great! As far as I know, that's a first! Saudade triumphant! :)

Oh, that was great, Berni! A song with a message. Let's hope everyone gets it. Fantastic job. I'm looking for some new video software also. I've got another original song that I need to put together a video for but, it requires a lot of time doing the artwork. I always like your songs and videos.

Oh, that was great, Berni! A song with a message. Let's hope everyone gets it.
There is a version with Turkish subtitles being produced right now by a Turkish translator friend of mine.

Fantastic job. I'm looking for some new video software also. I've got another original song that I need to put together a video for but, it requires a lot of time doing the artwork. I always like your songs and videos.

I'm sure this Magix kit is great, just not very intuitive. I have since discovered how I should have embedded the other video and it is an incredible technique. I could have had the images appearing on my Uke - or my T-shirt using it (a bit small, perhaps :) ) - but I'd never have guessed how to do it in a thousand years of playing around!

Thanks for the compliment, such comments keep me going! It's a bit awkward writing songs in what for the locals is a Foreign language! Nice to get feedback from English speakers.

My 19 year old daughter left Istanbul this afternoon after only a week visiting a good friend. This was a message she sent me from the airport. "Leaving Istanbul! Such an amazing and interesting time. The spirit of the citizens was unbelievable. I hope that some day we Americans can join together for something we believe in like what is happening here. Their passion and solidarity is remarkable !". I applaud your song and will make sure my daughter and her Turkish friends get to hear it.

My 19 year old daughter left Istanbul this afternoon after only a week visiting a good friend. This was a message she sent me from the airport. "Leaving Istanbul! Such an amazing and interesting time. The spirit of the citizens was unbelievable. I hope that some day we Americans can join together for something we believe in like what is happening here. Their passion and solidarity is remarkable !". I applaud your song and will make sure my daughter and her Turkish friends get to hear it.

Thanks. Luckily , I am old enough to remember when it was the youth of America who inspired me to dedicate time and energy to building a better world. The anti-Vietnam war movement, the civil rights movement, the anti-discrimination movements, the anti-materialist hippy movement, etc. Being young in 60s America was where it was at!

But then the dream got sold down the river and being one of Lennon's "dreamers" got somehow turned into being uncool, then along came the right-wing backlash led by Reagan and suddenly young Westerners became walking billboards for big corporations and were turning their backs on music in favour of playing violent video games. But I have faith that the innate passion for justice that characterises a significant proportion of our youth will see the rise again of a new movement for a just society. And we may already have seen its shoots in the Occupy Movement. We may already be experiencing it, but it's happening online and in the heads of millions across the West, the press just don't want you to know about it! :)

I am a pathological optimist!

Thanks. Luckily , I am old enough to remember when it was the youth of America who inspired me to dedicate time and energy to building a better world. The anti-Vietnam war movement, the civil rights movement, the anti-discrimination movements, the anti-materialist hippy movement, etc. Being young in 60s America was where it was at!

But then the dream got sold down the river and being one of Lennon's "dreamers" got somehow turned into being uncool, then along came the right-wing backlash led by Reagan and suddenly young Westerners became walking billboards for big corporations and were turning their backs on music in favour of playing violent video games. But I have faith that the innate passion for justice that characterises a significant proportion of our youth will see the rise again of a new movement for a just society. And we may already have seen its shoots in the Occupy Movement. We may already be experiencing it, but it's happening online and in the heads of millions across the West, the press just don't want you to know about it! :)

I am a pathological optimist!

My daughter claims that my having grown up in the sixties is the reason I always seem to have a cause. I loved your thoughtful response. Thank you .

Top Bottom