aquila string confusion

joe_coffee

Reaction score
hi everybody,
I recently bought my first uke.
I did some research before and found out that buying new strings waz the best course of action. I bought a set of aquila uke strings recommended by amazon.
they just got here in the mail.
to my surprise they were not color coded as I had read they would be online.
they had numbers, 1rd, 2rd, 3rd, and 4rd on the individual bags.
I strung my uke with the strings in relation to the string number. (1rd being the first string, etc.) but it sounded awful.
any suggestions on what the numbers mean and where to string them
thanks a bunch!
-coffee

Attachments

• 20130611_183146-1722616980.jpg
    20130611_183146-1722616980.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 98
They are numbered from the bottom as the instrument is sitting in your lap. 1st is A, 2nd is E, 3rd is C and 4th is G. Be careful. As standard ukulele string are what's called "reentrant" then the G string can often be confused with the A string.

Anthony

G-4
C-3
E-2
A-1
You might either have them on backwards or you are off an octave on the tuning. (both are common rookie errors, so don't feel bad)

Now you can have some fun with it!

Aquila used to color dot to code their strings and since I haven't bought a set for quite some time, I don't know if they still do. This is what it was . . .
A = Red (1st)
E = Blue (2nd)
C = Green (3rd)
G = White (4th)

LOL, don't feel bad...it probably sounded good unitl you chorded it! Congrats on your acquisition and happy strumming, now that you have them on right....you're in the right place....lotta help here...

Aquila used to color dot to code their strings and since I haven't bought a set for quite some time, I don't know if they still do. This is what it was . . .
A = Red (1st)
E = Blue (2nd)
C = Green (3rd)
G = White (4th)

I bought fresh Nylguts recently, and they were color coded.

thank you both very much I had them backwards

Easily done. A member of my uke group had a lot of problems until we realised he was tuning it the wrong way up! :music:

I was so confused because from everything I had heard the Aquila strings were supposed to sound significantly better than the stock strings my uke came with, but to my surprise they were significantly worse sounding haha.
They sound great now that I have them in the right order !

Can you post an image or photo?

The OP posted the photo of them. (1st post) Have you ever seen them packaged that way?

Joe_coffee, post the exact link from amazon where you bought those. If they are counterfeit, Mimmo (owner of Aquila), needs to know, and so does Amazon.

Nope, have never seen packaged that way. As I've mentioned I haven't bought a set of Aquila for awhile so if it was repackaged, I wouldn't know. Anyway, these are the colored dots I was speaking of.

Last edited:
Looks like Mimmo knows it should be "1st, 2nd, 3rd, & 4th", instead of "1rd, 2rd, 3rd, 4rd", too.

Hopefully Mimmo will chime in soon. Maybe there's a good explanation to this

Top Bottom