Hey y'all! I need help ASAP please so I can return this uke in time

Pjdice

Reaction score
Hey, so I bought a Lanikai U 21C from Amazon brand new for ninety bucks with a case. I went to Guitar Center the other day though and saw the beautiful Mitchell MU70 for a hundred. This is solid wood and looks so good and I thought it sounded great too but I only played with it once for a minute. What should I do? I'm thinking I will go ahead and return my Lanikai and get the Mitchell. What do you guys think???

Thanks

Hey, so I bought a Lanikai U 21C from Amazon brand new for ninety bucks with a case. I went to Guitar Center the other day though and saw the beautiful Mitchell MU70 for a hundred. This is solid wood and looks so good and I thought it sounded great too but I only played with it once for a minute. What should I do? I'm thinking I will go ahead and return my Lanikai and get the Mitchell. What do you guys think???

Thanks

Pretty sure that uke is a laminate. Select spruce is a lam.

re

Okay right right, laminated spruce. But the Lanikai is nato, which apparently is hella thin and seems cheap. Do you both say stick with Lanikai though?

Return it and get a plain solid mahogany KPK ukulele with a gig bag for about $150.00. It is a nice sounding ukulele and Jason will set it up with expert attention.

At that price point everything is going to be a laminate. Does the Lanikai sound good to you? Does it play well? If it does then don't worry about it and just play.

For what it's worth, one of my favorite sopranos is a Japanese Estrella from the early 70's. All laminate, paper thin top, and it sounds great.

Okay right right, laminated spruce. But the Lanikai is nato, which apparently is hella thin and seems cheap. Do you both say stick with Lanikai though?

I'm a fan of neither. I always recommend going with a uke dealer for a uke. They deal specifically with ukes. But for a starter the lanikai ukes aren't terrible once they have been set up.

At that price point everything is going to be a laminate. Does the Lanikai sound good to you? Does it play well? If it does then don't worry about it and just play.

For what it's worth, one of my favorite sopranos is a Japanese Estrella from the early 70's. All laminate, paper thin top, and it sounds great.

Best advice so far.

re

Ahh okay you guys are great. So as of now it sounds like I definitely should stick with what I have. Any suggestions on how to make my Lanikai the best it can be? Specific strings or tuning heads?

Ahh okay you guys are great. So as of now it sounds like I definitely should stick with what I have. Any suggestions on how to make my Lanikai the best it can be? Specific strings or tuning heads?

If the tuners hold tuning I wouldn't worry about them. There are probably a million threads here about what strings to use and which are the best. All I'll say is this-go buy some new strings regardless if they're Aquilas, Martin, D'Addario, etc.. Any other string will more than likely be better than the crappy ones that came on your uke. Take it to a good repair guy for a setup. If he turns his nose up at it find one that won't. Then shut up and play.

Ahh alll newbies buy from a big box retailers and you get what you pay for...buy from a reputable uke dealer that does setups...and you will almost get a great playable ukulele.
In you case now, as said...too late to return as they are going to stick you with shipping charges and some maybe with restocking charges...so you will lose out big time...then there
is the set up and up graded strings, maybe 50 bucks or more to get it maybe playing okay...you could have gotten a mainland brand ukulele all set up and ready to go for that price...
with your next buy...consult us here and we will guide you with the different brands and dealers.. in you case now, you have the option as I said, sink more money into your volkswagon
or buy a Pinto... As for the uke that sounds better at the store, maybe it was just tuned right or dropped tuned...so many factors grasshopper.. go play your uke now and think things over.. :)
with budget ukes, when you go above 150-200 ..naturally you will get a far more better product than one under 100 bucks... but then again, I love my rogue and OU2.. :)

I recommend returning the Lanikai back to Amazon and getting http://www.theukulelesite.com/lanikai-lu21-t-tenor.html Why? because from Hawaii music supply it will come setup. Shipping will be around $20, but that's about the same price you paid. That way you don't pay extra for a setup on a concert when you can pay less and have the exact same tenor. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=adeFF0nQyzM Here is the setup that will happen when you buy at the Ukulele site (aka Hawaii music supply)

Ahh alll newbies buy from a big box retailers and you get what you pay for...buy from a reputable uke dealer that does setups...and you will almost get a great playable ukulele.
In you case now, as said...too late to return as they are going to stick you with shipping charges and some maybe with restocking charges...so you will lose out big time...then there
is the set up and up graded strings, maybe 50 bucks or more to get it maybe playing okay...you could have gotten a mainland brand ukulele all set up and ready to go for that price...
with your next buy...consult us here and we will guide you with the different brands and dealers.. in you case now, you have the option as I said, sink more money into your volkswagon
or buy a Pinto... As for the uke that sounds better at the store, maybe it was just tuned right or dropped tuned...so many factors grasshopper.. go play your uke now and think things over.. :)
with budget ukes, when you go above 150-200 ..naturally you will get a far more better product than one under 100 bucks... but then again, I love my rogue and OU2.. :)

very good advice Master Yoda..
the question is will the young ones listen to an old Jedi Master like you...haha

very good advice Master Yoda..
the question is will the young ones listen to an old Jedi Master like you...haha

You crack me up. Of course, you're right that Stan is one of the most knowledgeable people in this forum. Anyone who doesn't listen to him is just crazy. :)

Top Bottom