PDA

View Full Version : Oasis Tenor Ukulele String test

dhepple
06-12-2013, 04:04 AM
We are developing a set of tenor fluorocarbon ukulele strings and need your help. As we did with our soprano/concert strings, we need feedback regarding our string selection. We have 3 alternative strings for the 1st and 4th strings and have not decided which of the three strings is best. The three sizes are: .0215" (same as soprano), .0235" and .0245". Any of these three string can be used on the 1st and 4th. The strings are 63" long and will provide two sets per string. There will be two of each size, so you will have 4 strings to try on the 1st and 4th string in any combination. Once you have tried them, contact me by email and post your comments on the forum. Be sure to include your mailing address so I can send you the strings. My email address is dhepple@verizon.net.

Thanks

Dave Hepple
Oasis, Inc. (manufacturer of the OH-18 ukulele humidifier)

bobO G
06-12-2013, 04:25 AM
Well I'm game . I'll put them on my eddy Finn Tenor .

Doc_J
06-12-2013, 04:29 AM
I'll try them out on my Compass Rose.

hawaii 50
06-12-2013, 05:53 AM
Thanks Dave..

I have been testing the Oasis Tenors for a couple weeks now and I like them on my Kamaka HF3S..gives it a clear/cleaner sound..but the low tones are still there..

I have a set on my Kanile'a concert and I liked them very much..they feel really nice..soft but firm
I use a Fremont Soloist LowG,,,,
Dave.... have you figured out what kind of LowG you are going to use?

Doc.... let me know how they sound on your CR...I use (TN's from Pua Pua..flatwound gold LowG with T-2's) on my CR and like them but soon as these Oasis tenor strings on the market I plan to pickup a bunch of um..

have fun with your samples..waiting to hear all your reviews..

Kanaka916
06-12-2013, 07:28 AM
Hi Dave . . . are you planning on developing 6 & 8 string sets?

Uke Republic
06-12-2013, 08:47 AM
Thanks Dave for making great stuff!

tomthebaptist
06-12-2013, 04:17 PM
I will try them on my Loprinzi Tenor. Mike, do you have these strings in stock? If so, shoot me an email.... will order a set.

Tom

mm stan
06-12-2013, 05:11 PM
Mahalo Dave....
I have had the pleasure and honor to test Daves Soprano/concert String and I really like them...may be my best go to strings now...
and now I am currently testing different combinations of the tenor strings...clear crisp and punchy sound...Dave is such a awesome guy to test for..wow

bobO G
06-15-2013, 02:22 PM
Received my strings today ! A bunch of strings ! I won't be buying strings for awhile ,lol I've put on the 1st and 4th already and at first blush they sound and feel great ! I'll put on the rest ( Dave also sent me 2nd and 3rd strings ) and let them settle in and give a full review to the best of my ability. Thank you Dave , above and beyond . I'll do my best to give an unbiased review . This may take awhile there will be a lot switching of strings around and plucking , plinking and strumming .

Newportlocal
06-15-2013, 07:00 PM
Thanks Dave! Just got mine today. Now,to figure out which combination sounds the best on the 1st and fourth!:D

jwieties
06-16-2013, 07:40 AM
Strung up the oasis this morning on my David Newton Dias tenor. Also started with the 235 A and 244 G. Very similar to the worth clear that I'd been playing (which is a good thing). Maybe a tad brighter and a tad more loud but hard to know until they settle in. High quality strings without a doubt.

The Big Kahuna
06-16-2013, 08:37 AM
It's times like this that I wish I didn't live in England :mad:

jwieties
06-16-2013, 01:03 PM
Strung up the oasis this morning on my David Newton Dias tenor. Also started with the 235 A and 244 G. Very similar to the worth clear that I'd been playing (which is a good thing). Maybe a tad brighter and a tad more loud but hard to know until they settle in. High quality strings without a doubt.

Been able to play a fair bit today (happy Father's Day to me). One thing I noticed about these and the Oasis concert strings... they stretch and settle in remarkably fast. Seems like about 1/2 the time of other strings. I'm hardly adjusting the tuning at all at this point. Curious if others have noticed this???

The tone has mellowed out just a little. Great feel, playability and tone. Honestly, I would say the are extremely similar to the worth clear in both tension and tone. I even put the worth g string back on just to compare. The Oasis may be ever so slightly brighter but nearly identical. I would not say these are "bright" strings, but feel they are right in the middle... giving a very clear pleasant tone.

Looking forward to giving them a couple weeks.

Big thumbs up!

fumanshu
06-16-2013, 01:47 PM
We are developing a set of tenor fluorocarbon ukulele strings and need your help. As we did with our soprano/concert strings, we need feedback regarding our string selection. We have 3 alternative strings for the 1st and 4th strings and have not decided which of the three strings is best. The three sizes are: .0215" (same as soprano), .0235" and .0245". Any of these three string can be used on the 1st and 4th. The strings are 63" long and will provide two sets per string. There will be two of each size, so you will have 4 strings to try on the 1st and 4th string in any combination. Once you have tried them, contact me by email and post your comments on the forum. Be sure to include your mailing address so I can send you the strings. My email address is dhepple@verizon.net.

Thanks

Dave Hepple

I played with Oasis strings on my tenors for the last 2-3 years....But I've always bought the Oasis GPX classical guitar set that I bought from singles from Paul of guitar Salon de Montreal.......so I just don,t know if the set that you made for ukuleles are the same or not...but I'm a big fan of your strings and the only strings that I'm using on my LFDM ukulele....

You can actually hear how it sounds like on these 2 tracks.....

https://soundcloud.com/baouke/bizarre-love-triangle-by-caro

https://soundcloud.com/baouke/mlle-elastique-by-caro-bao ....at 2:02 I start my uke solo....but you can hear the uke here and there in the track also....

darylcrisp
06-20-2013, 10:14 PM
i've been using the set as supplied by Dave for a few days now.
i will resay what others have mentioned:
1)strings settle in quickly to staying in tune
2)love the feel/texture
3)nice balance and note clarity-with this set i feel the soundwaves of each string when i pluck for tuning-they react better than any strings i've used.
4)still need to work all the combos of the 1st and 4th strings-more later after that is complete.
5) to my ears, not the loudest set i've encountered...........but, defintely the most clear and they just play real easy

Sent Dave a note asking about a Low G offering with this set. quite impressed with them so i'm probably keeping them on the Kanilea slothead tenor-maybe the Breedlove also.

i've been using Worth CT and CT Low G, a lot. like the Daddario T2, but not as much as the Worth or Oasis.

i have some PHD coming from Daniel Ho any day now. will bring all that into the mix also.

more later
d

hawaii 50
06-20-2013, 10:49 PM
i've been using the set as supplied by Dave for a few days now.
i will resay what others have mentioned:
1)strings settle in quickly to staying in tune
2)love the feel/texture
3)nice balance and note clarity-with this set i feel the soundwaves of each string when i pluck for tuning-they react better than any strings i've used.
4)still need to work all the combos of the 1st and 4th strings-more later after that is complete.
5) to my ears, not the loudest set i've encountered...........but, defintely the most clear and they just play real easy

Sent Dave a note asking about a Low G offering with this set. quite impressed with them so i'm probably keeping them on the Kanilea slothead tenor-maybe the Breedlove also.

i've been using Worth CT and CT Low G, a lot. like the Daddario T2, but not as much as the Worth or Oasis.

i have some PHD coming from Daniel Ho any day now. will bring all that into the mix also.

more later
d

I have been using the Fremont Soloist Flatwound LowG with the Oasis Tenors strings
Dave says he likes the Fremonts too and doing test on the Fremonts...hope his Tenor string sets comes with a similar LowG

btw this is a review of the Oasis string set...
many of us have already tried or read about the other strings you have listed above..
but thanks anyway

darylcrisp
06-21-2013, 08:17 AM
I have been using the Fremont Soloist Flatwound LowG with the Oasis Tenors strings
Dave says he likes the Fremonts too and doing test on the Fremonts...hope his Tenor string sets comes with a similar LowG

btw this is a review of the Oasis string set...
many of us have already tried or read about the other strings you have listed above..
but thanks anyway

yes, i know this is a string test regarding the Oasis Tenor set-the reason i listed the other string sets was as a comparison for the reader. my default string set at the moment has been Worth clears-the Oasis is as good, if not better in some areas IMO and for my playing style.
quite interested in seeing what can come from a low G setup regarding Oasis also-was in contact with Dave overnite and i have some requested gauge sizes in transit.
i will check into the fremont flatwound, although i've never been a fan of flatwound in the guitar world, and prefer so far, nonwound on all my Ukes.

d

Dan Uke
06-21-2013, 08:00 PM
Here's my initial thought: Sound is important but feel and balance is important too: The .0244 doesn't work at all in my opinion as the tension is too high compared to the 2nd and 3rd string. Secondly, I don't like using the same string for the 1st and 4th string as tension will difft for one whole note. My choice is the .0235 for the 4th string and .02175 for the 1st string.

I will hold judgment on the sound as I need the strings to settle.

strumsilly
06-23-2013, 05:20 AM
Got my strings yesterday. trying to decide which uke to put them on. Choices are an MP sinker redwood , Lanikai solid mahog, or Kanilea K_1. which one would be most useful for the test. or does it matter.

jwieties
06-23-2013, 06:44 AM
Got my strings yesterday. trying to decide which uke to put them on. Choices are an MP sinker redwood , Lanikai solid mahog, or Kanilea K_1. which one would be most useful for the test. or does it matter.

Choose the one you are most familiar with and that you can describe what other brands if strings sound like on it.

hawaii 50
06-23-2013, 08:15 AM

I think these strings are perfect for your Kanile'a
my Kanile'a has a deep rich tone,,but seemed to me the highs were muddled and not clear..the Oasis strings gives it a cleaner/crisper sound and the nice low tones stay..

my 2 cents

Dan Uke
06-23-2013, 08:36 AM
I think these strings are perfect for your Kanile'a
my Kanile'a has a deep rich tone,,but seemed to me the highs were muddled and not clear..the Oasis strings gives it a cleaner/crisper sound and the nice low tones stay..

my 2 cents

Hey Len

Which uke did you end using it on and what guage 1st and 4th strings did you use? You've tested the string the longest so trust your input. Thanks

hawaii 50
06-23-2013, 09:34 AM
Hey Len

Which uke did you end using it on and what guage 1st and 4th strings did you use? You've tested the string the longest so trust your input. Thanks

I have the first test strings(concerts) on my Kanile'a K-2 concert,,this is the perfect string for the concerts

for the tenors I have them on my Kamaka HF3S...my A string different from what Dave sending out now..I got my test strings a month ago and did not like the .0245 string...so Dave sent me a .0233 which I like...

the tenor strings still al little tight but still feels softer than all the other strings I have...and the clear/clean sound hard to beat..
I play only LowG..I I use the Fremont Soloist Polished wound LowG on all my ukes now...

fyi I sent Jason Wolverton a set of my Tenor Oasis strings and a Fremont Soloist,,to put on my new JW..

Jason is a Classical guitar player and he said he never saw a string like the Fremont before...I think he likes them too...

darylcrisp
06-26-2013, 07:21 AM
small update on my use of the Tenor Oasis set.

i've worked thru the string combos and have settled on the following for high G in GCEA tuning. .023/.030/.027/.021

this set and gauge size have brought out excellent bell quality notes on my all koa Kanilea slothead and the Breedlove American series in sitka/sapele.
i love the feel of less tension they offer-without a tubby or muddy reply. they play fast, smooth, and easy-don't feel like i have to pull the note out. slides are superb. i am getting the feel of vibration of the note on all strings even when played softly-never have had that on other sets- they mount and tie easy and take a set in tuning quickest of any string set i've used.
very very impressed with these strings.

Dave Hepple-thank you for this opportunity, you have a new customer for sure!
I plan to check out Oasis for my Flamenco now.

d

bobO G
06-26-2013, 01:00 PM
Dave Thanks for letting me try out these strings , really nice . I'll send you the rest of my impressions when I'm done by E-mail .

Guitar2ukulele
06-26-2013, 05:39 PM

Thanks

Dave Hepple

What are the tension of the Concert and Tenor sets at the moment. Trying to find a slightly higher tension than the Martin's I use currently.

Newportlocal
06-28-2013, 08:15 PM
Thanks Dave! Just got mine today. Now,to figure out which combination sounds the best on the 1st and fourth!:D

Oasis strings final choices
4th string .0236"
3rd string .030"
2nd string .027"
1st string .0215" .

Thanks again Dave for including me in your testing. They have a fantastic bell like quality. They felt nice and settled quickly.

Dan Uke
06-28-2013, 09:33 PM
Oasis strings final choices
4th string .0236"
3rd string .030"
2nd string .027"
1st string .0215" .

Thanks again Dave for including me in your testing. They have a fantastic bell like quality. They felt nice and settled quickly.

That seems the way most people are doing it

ShakaSign
06-28-2013, 10:07 PM
I also went with the 0.0236" for the G and the 0.0215" for the A string on my Pono Macassar Ebony. The thinner strings definitely ring more with a nice mellow tone. I think the 0.0245" for the G and the 0.0236" for the A are actually better balanced with the 0.030" ans 0.027" C and E strings, but the 0.0236" as the A just doesn't have a nice tone.

Doc_J
06-29-2013, 02:23 AM
Doc.... let me know how they sound on your CR...I use (TN's from Pua Pua..flatwound gold LowG with T-2's) on my CR and like them but soon as these Oasis tenor strings on the market I plan to pickup a bunch of um..

Sorry Len, I've got no results. Still waiting for the test strings to arrive. hmmm?

hawaii 50
06-29-2013, 04:21 AM
Sorry Len, I've got no results. Still waiting for the test strings to arrive. hmmm?

Hey Doc

Dave usually on top of things...send him another email...
let me know...thxs

Dan Uke
06-29-2013, 06:39 AM

Maybe he sent it to the "other" Doctor J :p

hawaii 50
06-29-2013, 06:50 AM
Maybe he sent it to the "other" Doctor J :p

Haha...that's a dunk?

strumsilly
07-01-2013, 04:47 AM
I was late to the party finally got them on a uke.I put .0217 on the first and .023x on the 4th. they;ve been on 2 days and have settled in nicely.
Impressions. the .217 seem to be a little higher tension than the others. the strings have great note separation and the volume seems balanced across the strings. nice clear ringing tone. remind me of worth clears. I like them a lot. they are on a Lanikai sprucetop and they work well on this uke.the other 1st and 4th strings I was provided are unmarked as to size so even if I put them on I won't know how to evaluate them. I'll put the soprano/concert set I was sent on the Martin 0 that is expected to arrive today, which I believe has Aquila on it now.
thanks Dave, and I'll let you know how they work on the Martin I'll post a before/after sound sample .

darylcrisp
07-01-2013, 05:12 PM
my final decision for the 3 tenors i used the strings on(Willie Wixom all Koa, Breedlove American series(sitka/sapele), Kanilea all koa slothead):
4th string .0236"
3rd string .030"
2nd string .027"
1st string .0215"
(i could easily swing to the .023 on the 1st string and 4th string, but there's just something a little xtra special about having that .021 on the 1st)

I have a tendency to lean towards preferring a large diameter string simply because i like the feel and coming from an acoustic guitar background. but with this Oasis group, i've firmly enjoyed these strings and really like the feel. they remind me a lot of the tone i'm getting from the PHD tenor(daniel ho) sets-but they have a tad less taunt feel to them-which i really like. i feel they are more responsive than any of the Worth sets i've used and have a better tactile feel to my fingers.

thanks Dave for the opportunity-looking forward to these being on the market.
d

strumsilly
07-02-2013, 06:28 AM
The Martin arrived and I recorded a sound sample of the Aquila that were on it and then Oasis I . I noticed that the 1st string on the soprano/concert set was the same I used on the tenor, and I noted that the string tension was higher, so that makes sense .
Impressions:
The Aquila were much thicker and stiffer. I thought they had a woodier and harsher tone. totally subjective, I actually liked how the Martin sounded with them.
The Oasis were smoother, and softer, easier for me to play, especially up the neck. the sound to me was clearer and had a nice ring. I like them .
the recordings were made on a Zoom Q3HD, and I tried to keep all settings the same.

http://youtu.be/MuZK0UdpEsE

strumsilly
07-02-2013, 06:29 AM
http://youtu.be/zsSOlubJQ6k

Dan Uke
07-04-2013, 10:00 AM
Here's my sound sample.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kwPERUnrhM&feature=youtu.be

The Oasis were softer than the Martins...They are a little brighter as well. I think they will work well on other ukes but on a Martin??...you gotta use Martins.

Doc_J
07-04-2013, 10:22 AM
Here's my sound sample.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kwPERUnrhM&feature=youtu.be

The Oasis were softer than the Martins...They are a little brighter as well. I think they will work well on other ukes but on a Martin??...you gotta use Martins.

Daniel, that sounded good. But, I haven't heard the Martin strings to compare. Dave sent me test strings yesterday. So maybe by this weekend I'll see how the Oasis strings sound on my CR.

strumsilly
07-04-2013, 11:53 AM
Daniel, I love the tone. yours is bigger than mine, wanna trade? I like tenors better.

mm stan
07-04-2013, 12:50 PM
Aloha All,
Yes initially when I played the Oasis strings after I put them on and breaking in, the tension felt high on a couple strings...in the next 2 days they streched out and sounded amazing
they are bright, has great volume, tone and good feel....it is my go to string...I played Lens new Jason Wolverton's tenor and it sounded great on them also....they are my go to strings now
even more than martin now....Great product Dave and thank you so much....woo hoo :)

hawaii 50
07-04-2013, 06:34 PM
Aloha All,
Yes initially when I played the Oasis strings after I put them on and breaking in, the tension felt high on a couple strings...in the next 2 days they streched out and sounded amazing
they are bright, has great volume, tone and good feel....it is my go to string...I played Lens new Jason Wolverton's tenor and it sounded great on them also....they are my go to strings now
even more than martin now....Great product Dave and thank you so much....woo hoo :)

Thanks Stan

I sent the video of Jason playing my uke with the Oasis Tenor strings on it with a Fremont Soloist LowG Dave said that Jason and the uke sounded amazing...

asked him when the tenor strings coming out? hopefully soon..

Dan Uke
07-04-2013, 08:00 PM
Thanks Stan

I sent the video of Jason playing my uke with the Oasis Tenor strings on it with a Fremont Soloist LowG Dave said that Jason and the uke sounded amazing...

asked him when the tenor strings coming out? hopefully soon..

I agree...Like I said, Martin sounds better on my Martin uke but on your JW, it sounds amazing!! There is no one string that will sound good for every uke!

Dan Uke
07-05-2013, 06:50 AM
Daniel, I love the tone. yours is bigger than mine, wanna trade? I like tenors better.

haha...I gave you first dibs on buying my uke if I sell it but you bought the soprano instead!!

Doc_J
07-06-2013, 06:15 PM
The test strings arrived (Thank you Dave) and I had tried a couple configurations. My observations and thoughts are very much in line with the earlier posts. Here's my thoughts and sound samples so far.

Test:
The .027 and .030 diameter strings are fixed for the E and C strings, while .0217, .023, .024 can be varied on the A (string 1) and G (string 4). (Note: units are inch.) Initially my Compass Rose Tenor had somewhat old Aquila strings.
Here is a sound sample for comparison.
Sound Sample original w/Aquila: https://www.box.com/s/rxz3w4m05dhwi3efnkt1

Config (1):
Strung up my Compass Rose tenor with the thicker strings for the 1 & 4 strings (.023 & .024). Sounded great, but with a bit more tension than normal on the 1 & 4 strings, also higher tension than strings 2 and 3. I let the strings settle in for 12 hours before I recorded a sample. They did settle fast.

Strings were very balanced, fairly bright (not over bright), lots of nice resonance and sustain. There was good clear note separation. The strings as configured here (.024,.030,.027,.023) would be great, even with the slightly higher tension on the A & G strings.
But let's compare with another configuration. The thicker strings had more warmth and balance compared to the thinner arrangement of config (2). If you want more warmth in your sound, this is the set (GCEA=.024, .030, .027,.023).
Sound Sample Config(1): https://www.box.com/s/pvazeb0zjr506v3cnk2m

Config (2):
For the 1 & 4 strings (.0217 & .023). Tensions felt good (normal), and fairly uniform tension across the strings. The sound was definitely a bit brighter and clearer for the 1 and 4, but less warm than Config (1).
Sound Sample Config(2): https://www.box.com/s/nzxc9shqyh1azns44nch

Thoughts:
Based on the higher tension of 0.023 diameter on string 1, it didn't make sense to try the 0.024 diameter string there. So, I see .0217 & .023 as the only possibilities on the 1st string.

If I wanted a warm sound I would go with Config (1) (GCEA=.024, .030, .027,.023).
If I wanted clearest bright sound, Config (2) (GCEA=.023, .030, .027,.0217).
If I was putting together a low G set, I'd use the 0.23 for the A string.

I will try the (0.0217, 0.0217) on the A and G but don't expect any improvement over config (2).

Overall both of the configurations I have tried sounded great on my Compass Rose, but I prefer config (2) (GCEA=.023, .030, .027,.0217). I'll definitely be getting a supply of Oasis tenor strings when they are available. I hope there is a low G set available.

Pic of my Compass Rose (Flamed Cherry).55562

hawaii 50
07-06-2013, 06:29 PM
The test strings arrived (Thank you Dave) and I had tried a couple configurations. My observations and thoughts are very much in line with the earlier posts. Here's my thoughts and sound samples so far.

Test:
The .027 and .030 diameter strings are fixed for the E and C strings, while .0217, .023, .024 can be varied on the A (string 1) and G (string 4). (Note: units are inch.) Initially my Compass Rose Tenor had somewhat old Aquila strings.
Here is a sound sample for comparison.
Sound Sample original w/Aquila: https://www.box.com/s/rxz3w4m05dhwi3efnkt1

Config (1):
Strung up my Compass Rose tenor with the thicker strings for the 1 & 4 strings (.023 & .024). Sounded great, but with a bit more tension than normal on the 1 & 4 strings, also higher tension than strings 2 and 3. I let the strings settle in for 12 hours before I recorded a sample. They did settle fast.

Strings were very balanced, fairly bright (not over bright), lots of nice resonance and sustain. There was good clear note separation. The strings as configured here (.024,.030,.027,.023) would be great, even with the slightly higher tension on the A & G strings.
But let's compare with another configuration. The thicker strings had more warmth and balance compared to the thinner arrangement of config (2). If you want more warmth in your sound, this is the set (GCEA=.024, .030, .027,.023).
Sound Sample Config(1): https://www.box.com/s/pvazeb0zjr506v3cnk2m

Config (2):
For the 1 & 4 strings (.0217 & .023). Tensions felt good (normal), and fairly uniform tension across the strings. The sound was definitely a bit brighter and clearer for the 1 and 4, but less warm than Config (1).
Sound Sample Config(2): https://www.box.com/s/nzxc9shqyh1azns44nch

Thoughts:
Based on the higher tension of 0.023 diameter on string 1, it didn't make sense to try the 0.024 diameter string there. So, I see .0217 & .023 as the only possibilities on the 1st string.

If I wanted a warm sound I would go with Config (1) (GCEA=.024, .030, .027,.023).
If I wanted clearest bright sound, Config (2) (GCEA=.023, .030, .027,.0217).
If I was putting together a low G set, I'd use the 0.23 for the A string.

I will try the (0.0217, 0.0217) on the A and G but don't expect any improvement over config (2).

Overall both of the configurations I have tried sounded great on my Compass Rose, but I prefer config (2) (GCEA=.023, .030, .027,.0217). I'll definitely be getting a supply of Oasis tenor strings when they are available. I hope there is a low G set available.

Pic of my Compass Rose (Flamed Cherry).55562

Right on,,,, Doc...we hear the same thing,,I like the .0233 for the A string too .027 and .030 for the second and third..
I only play LowG...... so I use the Fremont Soloist Wound LowG..I told Dave about these and he said he liked them too...but he needed to get a machine that polishes the strings like Fremont does....

Dave did some test and said they are flatwound with no Squeaks...haha hopefully he has a LowG like the Fremonts in his tenor sets..

the tenor strings are tighter than the Concert strings,,but still way softer in most of the strings I have tried...I am waiting for them to come on the market too...

ths Concert Oasis are hard to beat...I think they are the perfect choice for a concert uke...they feel and sound great!

wendellfiddler
07-08-2013, 08:29 AM
Ok - I put these various tenor options on my mahogany Collings. The light .0217 strings were too light for the 1st string, let alone the 4th. In fact the knot barely caught in the slot - but way too light in relation to the others. I like the .023 on the 1st string, but don't see much difference if any from Worth CT. I checked the diameters on using a digital calliper and found it to be closer to .0225, about the same as a Worth. In fact, with my calliper, the worth and oasis strings measured exactly the same in each case where they were close. The .024 is nice on the 4th string but my calliper showed it as .025. again, though, very similar to the CT's.

So, these are great strings, and a set with higher guage middle strings would likely be attractive to some folks. I prefer the light middle guages of Worth and Living Water, but the 1st and 4th as stated are perfect for me. It would be good to be able to get individual strings - to replace odd broken ones and others that sustain damage, etc.

Doug

dhepple
07-08-2013, 10:08 AM
For the present time, I am trying to get the basic 4 strings under control

ShakaSign
07-14-2013, 04:40 PM
I second Stan's statement that the Oasis strings get better after they've stretched and settled for a few days. As I said earlier, I ended liking the use of the 0.0233 for G and 0.0217 for A the best. This combination had a nice tone from the start, but after a few days they just got better. Their ring and resonance are amazing. In addition, this combination has spot-on intonation on my Pono macassar ebony. Even better than the Koolau strings it came with. Simply amazing.

dhepple
07-17-2013, 03:10 PM
Thanks for all of your feedback. I am planning on doing the following. First, all strings will be 63" sets so that soprano, concert and tenor ukuleles can use the same strings. This will allow players to get two sets from each package. I am going to convert my current soprano strings to 63" and change the configuration to GCEA .0236, .030, .027 and .0215. currently the G string is .0217". This will be called our clear set and will remain UKE 8000. The warm set will be .024, .030, .027 and .023. and be UKE 8100. We will also have low G sets with silver plated copper 4th strings. We have three different wound G strings. I need players to try out our .029", .030" and .031" strings to determine which is the best fit for low G. Please send your name and address and I will mail you the three low G strings.

Thanks again for all your help

Dave Hepple
Oasis, Inc

Doc_J
08-11-2013, 05:46 PM
Tried the new Oasis low G strings. The .029" sounded best to me.
These new Oasis tenor strings really worked well with my Compass Rose.
Here's a sample: https://app.box.com/s/2eg3kizo2q7rj8pqrly7