Thoughts on Super Concerts?

Hochapeafarm

Reaction score
Hey, everyone! I am strongly considering getting a super concert uke. If you have one, I'd love to hear your impressions -- and well, even if you don't have one, I'd still love to hear your feedback, too!

Here's some general questions that I have, but feel free to let me know anything that you feel could be helpful:

1) What do you feel are the pros/cons of super concerts?
2) If you had to do it all over, would you get a super concert again?
3) I have heard that putting tenor necks on concert bodies can be problematic; is this your impression?

Thanks so much! :)

Visually on many ukes 14 fret necks seem to place the bridge not in the center of the lower bout. The bridge looks too close to the sound hole. Putting a longer tenor neck allows 14 Fret necks and the bridge to be centered in the lower bout. Just an observation. Tenor strings will drive the top more than concert stings. So super concerts should probably be louder than concerts.

Last edited:
I have a super concert. I LOVE it!

Pros? More frets, a little bit more room.
Cons? None that I can think of. It fits into my favourite case like a glove. My favourite cases are Oscar Schmidt cases.

Would I do it over? Absolutely. My first nice ukulele was a KoAloha concert. I loved it. But I realized I wanted more frets. I fingerpick. So, when I was ready to upgrade, a super concert is all I wanted. I don't like tenors (for me) so that was my only option.

I have not heard that a tenor neck on a concert is a problem. I don't feel there is a problem. I just put tenor strings on it and all seems fine to me.

I highly recommend super concerts.

Hey, everyone! I am strongly considering getting a super concert uke. If you have one, I'd love to hear your impressions -- and well, even if you don't have one, I'd still love to hear your feedback, too!

Here's some general questions that I have, but feel free to let me know anything that you feel could be helpful:

3) I have heard that putting tenor necks on concert bodies can be problematic; is this your impression?

Thanks so much! :)
1. Pros-tenor neck, concert body. Cons- I don't currently own one.
2. Yes. I am actually getting my old one back.
3. Not at all.

http://www.theukulelesite.com/koaloha-soprano-tenor-neck-new-model.html

I used to own this model tenor necked soprano (I may have owned the one in the video since I bought it when the video of Corey first came out) and I loved it. Only negative was balance--it was head heavy, and for my playing, I did require a strap. But, that said, once strapped, it was a gem.

Why sold? I eBayed it only bc, as I grew as a player, I recognized the concert or even soprano neck for pinkie stretches and percussive playing as better for me, personally. The constant evolution of a budding ukulele player, I suppose.

In hindsight, I wish I owned it again, though. I just do.

Aloha Chelley,
You are in luck...I was playing mine today....love it girl.. more fretboard with a smaller body for comfort....perfect.....

I have one and my go to uke when playing high G...for low G, I prefer my tenors.

The fretboard space. I seem to need it to play well. My spatial muscle memory is not strong On a soprano, I can miss the fret completely.
The size of the body fits me correctly. The only tenor that I can say that about is my Kala travel tenor. I'm a gifted gal, so chest space is at a premium.

My first Super Concert is also my best ukulele. I've only had it for a couple of weeks but I've never heard anything so sweet. So, absolutely.

My Koaloha seems well-built.

I recently got my first one, a Kamaka HF-2L Concert Long Neck. I think it might be the perfect combination of features and it sounds and plays great. It's my new favorite.

1) The tenor scale length gives 14 frets clear of the body without moving the bridge out of the sweet spot. The concert body size gives a rich, full tone that sounds good for strumming yet still has a good attack for fingerpicking, and good volume of individual notes up the neck. The concert body size puts where I strum at the right place for the best sound and up past the body so I don't mark up the face. I think the tenor scale plays more in tune than shorter ones, with a clearer sound. It also gives a nice tension to the strings for crisp pull-offs, etc. It also fits the Kamaka case perfectly.

2) I would, only if this one were ever stolen.

3) I notice that Kamaka went to a tie bridge like they use on their tenors on the latest version of this configuration. I assume this is to accommodate the higher string tension. The longer neck doesn't seem to make it too "neck-heavy," perhaps because mine has the lightweight new Gotoh UPT banjo-style geared tuners. I find it more comfortable to hold than my tenors.

I have a KoAloha, made in 2008? At first I really liked it still do, but prefer Tenor size. I have been thinking of selling it here.

Thanks, everyone, for all of your feedback, info, advice, etc. -- I am REALLY grateful and appreciative! :) You guys are awesome!!!

I have a KoAloha, made in 2008? At first I really liked it still do, but prefer Tenor size. I have been thinking of selling it here.
I reluctantly listed mine awhile back, fortunately all the offers were below my asking price.
I am so happy it did not sell, I would miss it.

Top Bottom