drumming on the uke

Duke

Reaction score
hi folks.

any nice tips how to drum on the uke?
i know nearby the pickup (or on it) i have a good bassdrum.
the upperside of the body or a clap on the fretboard sounds like a short kick.
well... i have the thumb, the fingers, the flat hand, my nails....

any tips how to do that all or know good videos on the net?
i think its nice to do bring this into a bridge in a song or something like that.

Right by the sound hole where the pickguard would be (if your uke was a guitar). I like that sound. (Ex. what this guy is doing on guitar http://youtube.com/watch?v=nH0Rbq1aQ-I) but it sounds better on uke i think.

I also found that Flukes are awesome for drumming. The plastic back is kinda rough, so if you strum the plastic with your nail in different places, it makes all kinds of awesome scratching sounds and hitting it straight on with your nail makes some pretty clean rimshots. Tapping the back side of the ukulele with the tip of your thumb (right on the circle with the fluke symbol embedded in it) makes a pretty nice bass too. I don't kno if you have a fluke though.

i remember watching one of his vids where he says that he doesnt even put varnish on his guitar cuz it'll only come off from all that percussion lol. if u do decide to do something like that with the uke, put up a vid, i'll be glad to watch it

Wow. Amazing guitarist, amazing percussionist. Simply amazing. Seems like you actually need to be an accomplished drummer before you even attempt the stuff that he was doing. I'd like to see Abe do some stuff like that on uke ...

yeah, right... abe would be perfect for that.

yeah, right... abe would be perfect for that.

Duke, you familiar with Rodrigo Y Gabriela? Gabriela is nuts when it comes to drumming on her guitar. Many of the techniques she uses for strumming and drumming could probably easily translate over to ukulele.

Last I saw, they had some tutorial videos on youtube or google video somewhere..

I got very interested in the drum technique a while back and wrote a song using a very simple intro and closing drum pattern on my KoaWorks tenor.

Thirty Below

Last edited:
I got very interested in the drum technique a while back and wrote a song using a very simple intro and closing drum pattern on my KoaWorks tenor.

Thirty Below

that sounds cool. do you have any more pieces that incorporate percussion-esque techniques?

I posted Sungha's video of this great Andy McKee song Rylynn on another uke board several months ago. He is amazing, check out the harmonics at the end. I did goof around a bit with Rylynn on uke but even with alternative tunings it is pretty tough. You don't have enough bass notes and sustain on the uke, although maybe an electric with low G or some low variation might work.

Top Bottom