Good Ukulele stores in the UK

Venger

Reaction score
Hi,

I was just wondering if any UK based members can recommend some good stores in the UK for ukulele accessories ?

I've been reading the various strap discussion threads on the forum and I'm quite keen to give one a go but the Mobius, Uke Thong and Leash only seem avaliable from the States ?

Has anyone tracked them down in the UK ?

You can order uke leash over the Internet and pay through Pay Pal. I've bought two and Lori is very prompt with getting them sent out. It's then down to the vagaries of the US and UK postal services. My first one took almost two weeks but the second came in abt a week. Lori is on holiday just now so you'll have to wait till the end of the month.

I believe you can now order the Möbius strap online and pay through Pay Pal. I've been thinking of getting one but have not yet got round to it, so I have no experience to comment on.

As for ukulele stores, I've bought stuff from Southern ukulele store & found them very good. Eagle Music are also good as are Omega music.

I don't think you can find a better store than The Southern Ukulele Store.
The Duke of Uke in London is also a nice little shop.

Southern Ukulele Store are good, I have bought several fromthem. Forsythes, Deansgate Manchester, also have good feedback, and their website shows some interesting ukes.

I've just nipped in a music store in Sutton Coldfield during my lunch hour (and three quarters). I asked what Ukulele strings they sold, and was directed toward a set of Ernie Ball Bronze Wounds. What's more surprising is that they actually sell Ukes.

Southern Ukulele Store and Duke of Uke are truly awesome, but Hound Dog Music in Whitley Bay is bestest of the best :)

From that, I assume you're on Tyneside. Some folk have said Windows is pretty good for ukes these days but I've not been in Windows for a few years.

I've been reading the various strap discussion threads on the forum and I'm quite keen to give one a go but the Mobius, Uke Thong and Leash only seem avaliable from the States ?

Why not just buy them from the US? The UkeLeash, for instance, is an excellent uke strap. I use them myself with the end pin attachment. Ordering from Lori in California will ensure that you get exactly what you want. There are a huge number of colours available to choose from. It may cost a few pounds more, but it is so easy.

Whereabouts are you, Venger?

If you're near London or ever planning a visit then defintely check out Duke of Uke. For general music stores Denmark Street (lots of guitar shops) is the place to go.

Clifford Essex Music is worth checking out too - they set up the uke for free and fit their own (well regarded by some) strings as part of the price. Not a huge range, but they're picky about what they sell ...... :D

Brilliant customer service too!

Clifford Essex Music is worth checking out too - they set up the uke for free and fit their own (well regarded by some) strings as part of the price. Not a huge range, but they're picky about what they sell ...... :D

Brilliant customer service too!

+1 on Clifford Essex, excellent products and service

Many thanks for all your replies and info :)

I'm very close to the central line, just into Essex, so getting up into London is easy and I've been to Denmark street on several occasions, some gorgeous guitars up there.

Will definitely check out Duke of Uke next time I'm in London and I'll have a look through all the websites of the other stores mentioned too - many thanks :)

Manchester

Manchester has several shops that offer Ukuleles. PMT and Dawsons are not worth the effort. Johnny Road house, which has Hobgoblin upstairs, offers a range of good beginner ukuleles (a lot of Ashburys).

The best shop here is Forsthys, which is more expensive but generally because it stocks the best quality instruments. I got my Uluru here and I am in love with it. They stock quite a few Ulurus which are excellent top range ukuleles. They also have a couple of Martins and then all the way down to cheaper, good entry models and of course your cheap colourful plastic ukes.

There's a bit of an issue with Uluru and UU at the moment, mainly to do with some pretty blatant theft of intellectual material.

Thanks for all the tips so far guys!

I wanted to get my next uke set up so it's good to hear about some places that do that. I'm a little worried about postage, how safe do you think it is? In terms of damage to the ukulele.

Can anyone recommend something up North, preferably Edinburgh/Aberdeen? :)

Just to add my bit and I know its been said before I have found Omega Music and the Southern Ukulele Store are both very good. Even though I live in London I've not had much to do with the Duke of Uke, I went there once because I was in the area and it was shut. it seems they don't open in the mornings so if anyone is planning a visit check the opening times first because its a good walk for the tube station.

Top Bottom