Decal inlay experiment

Bao

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting very thin sheets (1/3 of a mm as it said on the site) of abalone, cutting a design out of it and using glue to stick it on my ukulele's body. I'll probably be using super glue or something that will definitely last long.
The reason I'm doing this is because existing decal stores don't have the unique design I want and putting real inlays on an instrument would be too expensive. At the same time, this idea is actually cheaper than decals from the stores themselves aswell. I was thinking of making two dolphins swirl ontop of the rosette and putting my initials where the logo should be on the headstock.
Don't worry too much about my ukulele, I'll be using a cheap makala for now.

Has anyone ever done this?

Personally, I think it will look nice, though there will be a slight bump when I run over my ukulele's body and the inlay decal BUT I don't mind that.

Last edited:
Please take photos and post them. I, for one, will be very interested to see how it comes out.

Please take photos and post them. I, for one, will be very interested to see how it comes out.

I realise that it will just be a redesigned pick guard on my ukulele but yeah, I'll post them up when I finish! The sheets were sent last week so I hope that they will arrive tomorrow.

I never knew he did custom stuff :O But there's probably a surcharge for it, eh?

At the same time, I do have those but whenever people touch it (and trust me, they can't keep their hands off it), it causes it to peel off a bit then I'll have to buy another. This will be kind of like putting a pickguard on, where it will be harder to take off atleast =D

Top Bottom