Need some advice on building a side bender, please

Habanera Hal

Reaction score
I've decided to get off the pipe.

I'm building a Fox style bending jig, starting with light bulbs and if this hobby evolves into something more, I'll get a heating blanket. Just can't justify the cost at this moment.

I've got everything I need except the metal slats to sandwich the sides in. I've searched the forums and found a lot of conflicting advice, i.e.: annealed stainless, hardened stainless, blued steel, aluminum, etc. Allen at Barron River says stainless is not suitable for ukes and he uses aluminum flashing. Does that even spring back after bending?

What to use? If there's something I can get at the local HD or Lowe's that will work that would be great.

I use thin stainless I got from McMaster-Carr but I wrap everything in paper, like a kraft paper, and then aluminum foil after I spray/wet the paper. A variation on what I read Chuck Moore does for bending. It's worked really well for me. I started to use the light bulbs but ponyed up for a blanket instead.

I use Blue Tempered Shim Stock from: http://www.lyonindustries.com/
Part # BTS-10 It is .010" X 6" X 50", enough to last you a very long time. I bought two boxes and I'll never use the second one. The spring steel will really give you the support you need to reduce the incidence of kinking or cracking.
BTW, if you can ever justify the expense you'll see a huge difference in bending with blankets rather than light bulbs. That's where I'd be putting my money. Just my opinion. Remember, light bulbs heat the bending form while blankets heat the wood.

I'm with Chuck on this one. The difference between bulbs and blanket is huge. You have much more control with the blanket. Crack on nice side set and you will have paid for the blanket. I use the same kind of slats as Chuck.

I use one 500watt halogen strip bulb like you get in security lighting.. and I'm thinking of adding a fan to spread the heat more even like a fan oven.

Heat Blanket, If you can put an hour or two more on your job and get a blanket for $56 you will be money ahead. Also if you decided you didn't want to build any longer you could sell that blanket for $50 on ebay. Sometimes you need to jump in and buy good tools.

I am always amazed at the knowledge and consideration offered by the members of this group and how quick you all are to respond. Thank you all. You have convinced me to pony up for a heater blanket.

I am getting some quotes on blankets and shim stock now, though since I had a few spare hours and some scrap plywood, a bunch of nuts and bolts, a $2 caulking gun and a left over bulb base I whipped up this:
Side Bender 002.jpgSide Bender 004.jpgSide Bender 006.jpg

I did buy a timer at HD so my total investment so far is under $25. It's not pretty, but I hope it'll do. I can fit a 4" wide blanket as it sits, but I may just widen it to 6" so I can bend two sides at once. (Nothing is glued yet, it's just mocked up.)

Top Bottom