Cold

liquid_wind

Reaction score
There are warnings out there not to leave a uke in heat and even more warnings for humidity, but I haven't seen any for cold. Is it not bad it all to leave it out in the cold?

if my uke gets cold, seems i play better... seriously :S

With cold usually comes dry air, and thus low humidity. You don't want to leave a wooden instrument in the cold, period.

It's a good question if your room is humid enough yet extremely cold or hot. I'm pulling these numbers out of thin air, but I assume anything between 40 and 100 fahrenheit is good. Heat may have a factor with the glue, but maybe not. Just keep it reasonable. If anyone has any real answers, feel free to give them lol.

it not bad it all to leave it out in the cold?

Yes, but what do you mean by "cold"? It's -16C here right now, with a wind chill factor around -20C. That's too cold for a uke (or pretty much any wooden instrument) and could freeze moisture in the wood, which willl expand and damage the instrument - even causing major cracks. It could make strings brittle and easily snapped. It could bend the neck out of alignment. It could cause the surface finish to crack. It will make any form of lubrication in the tuners to stiffen, even freeze.

I have kept a solid wooden uke in the trunk of my car in freezing temperatures. NOT recommended. But at the same time, it wasn't catestrophic. If you can avoid it, then keep your uke cozy. If not, then whatcha' gonna do?

Top Bottom