Martin style 51 Bartione - price opinions

rocko

Reaction score
I had an opportunity to play a Martin mahogany style 51 baritone ukulele. It was in excellent condition. comes from the original owner. I don't have pictures, but anyone want to offer opinion on the value?

The tone was gorgeous and the neck is a thing of beauty in terms of feel.

Thanks.

Condition. That's everything. Anywhere from about $800-$1600 or so depending on condition.

:agree: Yup, pretty much what I've seen.

nongdam, No true consensus on what constitutes vintage, even on the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum, where it is a hotly debated topic, but given that Martin baritones were first offered in 1960 and discontinued in 1977, except by special order afterwards, a 50 year old requirement doesn't leave a whole lot of baritones out there to choose. But your question is certainly a valid one. As well, I did not note the original poster mention anything about vintage per se, unless I just missed it. Lastly, it isn't stated how the dealer offering the uke succeeded in dating it, but I thought stating it to be "Circa 1984", was a tad bit unusual myself, given that the ukes are not dated and most folks offer the more customary "from the 60's" type estimate.

Here is my Martin baritone. Has some repaired cracks which are not cosmetically terrible and do not affect tone, but which got the price down to considerably less than the above stated range. A crack free offering will definitely command a higher price, but I would think you certainly should be able to procure a pretty nice one for a grand or less if you're willing to be patient.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the opinion and input.

PDXUKE - this ukulele is actually being consigned through a local shop. I got a preview of it, but it should be for sale @ Artichoke Music on Hawthorne. It's a make an offer type deal, and a friend is sorely tempted.

Thanks for all the opinion and input.

PDXUKE - this ukulele is actually being consigned through a local shop. I got a preview of it, but it should be for sale @ Artichoke Music on Hawthorne. It's a make an offer type deal, and a friend is sorely tempted.

You mean there's no price posted? Or do you mean they have posted a price but will accept an offer? On a personal note, I stay away from "make me an offer" deals, but others may disagree.

I'm sure there will be a price on it. but as I said I simply got a preview before it "went on the wall". However, as it is a consigned instrument, I believe there will be room for negotiation.

Nevertheless, I think it will be priced too high i got the sense it would be in the $1,700 range on the tag.

I'm sure there will be a price on it. but as I said I simply got a preview before it "went on the wall". However, as it is a consigned instrument, I believe there will be room for negotiation.

Nevertheless, I think it will be priced too high i got the sense it would be in the $1,700 range on the tag.

Bought mine this year. It was less than that and it's PERFECT:

attachment.php

...so I agree, that price seems--ahem--high. :)

I bought my '63 Martin about a year ago for around 900. Looks like its in the same shape as PDx's. I love the neck and has spoiled me on the others I play. Prices are going up. Finding one in the shape of PDX's would be a great find and probably would be in the higher range. I doubt I would pay 1700 for an '84. Martins in the '80's had some challenges because of the managment changes that were happening in the '70's and '80's.

I would pay 1700 for one that was in pristine condition and was made betwen '60 and '62 less for anything newer than that.

I feel blessed everytime I play mine, that thin fast neck and wonderful sound is incredible. My late '40's early '50's Favilla has an even deeper more smokey sound. I like my Martin more for the fast neck and the Favilla better for the deep gut wrenching sound.

Good luck with the transaction. If this one doesn't work out there will be others. I'm sure w're all waiting to hear the outcome; there's nothing nicer than a good vintage Martin baritone

Last edited:
except a good vintage Martin tenor:drool:

hahaha....I just bought one of those!! It might be on the chopping blocks soon as I get one father's day gift and I bought an amp and then the Martin shows up...I just couldn't say no!! :p

Rocko, I have a very nice early 60's Style 51 available and sent you a pm.

Mitch

The vast majority of Martin model 51 baritones are from the 60s. I bought a nearly mint model 51 for 1300 off eBay 2 years ago. It was purchased new in 1969, stock with Grover rotomatic tuners-same tuners as they put on a D28. I don't know if they continued these tuners on later baritones. I've never seen it mentioned that martin used these tuners on ukuleles.

The custom shop baritones from the 70s-80s have to be very rare.
I also followed the recent baritone on EBay. It didn't sell for the asking price. I'd definitely pay 1300-1400 for a mint Martin baritone. They are wonderful instruments.

Top Bottom