I got my Compass Rose

Gillian

Reaction score
This uke is so special to me. I wanted native California woods. Rick said he had pieces of a sequoia, which only grow in a tiny patch of the California Sierras. He showed me a book that tells about this ancient tree.There is even a website about it: www.theGiantSequoia.com

The one-piece neck is local black walnut, as are the sides and back, and is a great combination with the sequoia. Loud, rich, and resonant. It plays very easily and sounds great when plugged into my little AC-33.

I have ukes with curly, figured woods and inlays. I wanted this CR to be simple, straight grained, and elegant... and Rick delivered.

I'm not going to say my UAS has been cured, but this CR has put it into remission for a while!;)

I will post a video soon.

CRfront.jpgCRbacka.jpgCR2a.jpgCRnecka.jpg

Congrats!! Gillian

I have to say that is one beautiful Compass Rose,,understated just like you wanted...I see what you wanted to do now with all the California woods..i hope this uke plays very nice for you..please give us a video asap..

I like the finish on the top..i know it is hard to get the Sequoia Top to shine like it does..
I hope your CR gives you many hours of pleasure...Congrats again..

Wow congratulations! Really happy you got yours! Love the Sequoia very nice to have one made with that.:D

Thanks! Being a Cal fan, the UC-Berkeley connection makes it even more special.

IIRC, did you order a CR made of cocobolo? Rick's assistant was fine sanding a cocobolo one when I was there.

Yes, mine is cocobolo and sinker redwood.

Last edited:
Congrats!! Gillian

I have to say that is one beautiful Compass Rose,,understated just like you wanted...I see what you wanted to do now with all the California woods..i hope this uke plays very nice for you..please give us a video asap..

I like the finish on the top..i know it is hard to get the Sequoia Top to shine like it does..
I hope your CR gives you many hours of pleasure...Congrats again..

Thanks, Len! I'm waiting for the strings (I put a Worth heavy tension low-G set on it) to settle before making a video. I hit enough sour notes without the strings sounding sour, too!

I could seriously use it as a mirror to put my makeup on!:)

Gillian I think Rick does the best Polyester Gloss finish in the business..he loves that part of the build..

and I saw one of your videos already..you did not hit any sour notes as far I could tell..I hope you sing with your new CR too..

Have fun my Compass Rose sister...

Congratulations on your beautiful CR! I have an all walnut CR that I absolutely love; I'm sure yours sounds wonderful!

Alooha Gilly,
Congratulations...Your Compass Rose looks AWESOME :) Woo HOO Yippee I Want One now...I am sure you are playing the heck outta it and it may need new strings....Happy Strummings Girl :)

Last edited:
Thanks, Len! I'm waiting for the strings (I put a Worth heavy tension low-G set on it) to settle before making a video. I hit enough sour notes without the strings sounding sour, too!

Don't believe her!! She made my CR SING!!!

Glad to see you got yours. It's beautiful!!! And it's a CR . . . I already know it's going to sound awesome!!!

Congratulations!

Ooh wee! Can't wait for the video on that one!

The new CR is lovely, Gillian!

And I did see the sequoia top "in the raw" when we visited Rick and the shop in November. It was so incredibly light when John handed it to me - seemed to weigh about as much as 5 sheets of paper.

Play it in Good Health!

(And I'll let you know the next time I'm headed back out to the Bay Area.)

-Kurt​

Congrats. Beautiful uke!

I hope you don't have any other plans this weekend!

Top Bottom