PDA

View Full Version : I got my Compass Rose

Gillian
06-13-2013, 08:07 PM
This uke is so special to me. I wanted native California woods. Rick said he had pieces of a sequoia, which only grow in a tiny patch of the California Sierras. He showed me a book that tells about this ancient tree.There is even a website about it: www.theGiantSequoia.com

The one-piece neck is local black walnut, as are the sides and back, and is a great combination with the sequoia. Loud, rich, and resonant. It plays very easily and sounds great when plugged into my little AC-33.

I have ukes with curly, figured woods and inlays. I wanted this CR to be simple, straight grained, and elegant... and Rick delivered.

I'm not going to say my UAS has been cured, but this CR has put it into remission for a while!;)

I will post a video soon.

Dan Uke
06-13-2013, 08:16 PM
congrats...the high gloss really stands out!!

hawaii 50
06-13-2013, 08:20 PM
Congrats!! Gillian

I have to say that is one beautiful Compass Rose,,understated just like you wanted...I see what you wanted to do now with all the California woods..i hope this uke plays very nice for you..please give us a video asap..

I like the finish on the top..i know it is hard to get the Sequoia Top to shine like it does..
I hope your CR gives you many hours of pleasure...Congrats again..

Newportlocal
06-13-2013, 08:20 PM
Wow congratulations! Really happy you got yours! Love the Sequoia very nice to have one made with that.:D

Gillian
06-13-2013, 08:55 PM
Wow congratulations! Really happy you got yours! Love the Sequoia very nice to have one made with that.:D

Thanks! Being a Cal fan, the UC-Berkeley connection makes it even more special.

IIRC, did you order a CR made of cocobolo? Rick's assistant was fine sanding a cocobolo one when I was there.

Newportlocal
06-13-2013, 08:57 PM
Thanks! Being a Cal fan, the UC-Berkeley connection makes it even more special.

IIRC, did you order a CR made of cocobolo? Rick's assistant was fine sanding a cocobolo one when I was there.

Yes, mine is cocobolo and sinker redwood.

Gillian
06-13-2013, 08:58 PM
congrats...the high gloss really stands out!!

I could seriously use it as a mirror to put my makeup on!:)

Gillian
06-13-2013, 09:01 PM
Congrats!! Gillian

I have to say that is one beautiful Compass Rose,,understated just like you wanted...I see what you wanted to do now with all the California woods..i hope this uke plays very nice for you..please give us a video asap..

I like the finish on the top..i know it is hard to get the Sequoia Top to shine like it does..
I hope your CR gives you many hours of pleasure...Congrats again..

Thanks, Len! I'm waiting for the strings (I put a Worth heavy tension low-G set on it) to settle before making a video. I hit enough sour notes without the strings sounding sour, too!

hawaii 50
06-13-2013, 09:10 PM

Gillian I think Rick does the best Polyester Gloss finish in the business..he loves that part of the build..

and I saw one of your videos already..you did not hit any sour notes as far I could tell..I hope you sing with your new CR too..

Have fun my Compass Rose sister...

AKuker
06-13-2013, 09:16 PM
Congrats on the CR! It's beautiful! Enjoy it.

mds725
06-13-2013, 09:43 PM
Congratulations on your beautiful CR! I have an all walnut CR that I absolutely love; I'm sure yours sounds wonderful!

mm stan
06-13-2013, 09:47 PM
Alooha Gilly,
Congratulations...Your Compass Rose looks AWESOME :) Woo HOO Yippee I Want One now...I am sure you are playing the heck outta it and it may need new strings....Happy Strummings Girl :)

gyosh
06-13-2013, 10:43 PM
Thanks, Len! I'm waiting for the strings (I put a Worth heavy tension low-G set on it) to settle before making a video. I hit enough sour notes without the strings sounding sour, too!

Don't believe her!! She made my CR SING!!!

Glad to see you got yours. It's beautiful!!! And it's a CR . . . I already know it's going to sound awesome!!!

Congratulations!

kvehe
06-14-2013, 12:46 AM
It's beautiful! Congratulations!

Jim Hanks
06-14-2013, 03:53 AM
Ooh wee! Can't wait for the video on that one!

ksiegel
06-14-2013, 03:55 AM
The new CR is lovely, Gillian!

And I did see the sequoia top "in the raw" when we visited Rick and the shop in November. It was so incredibly light when John handed it to me - seemed to weigh about as much as 5 sheets of paper.

Play it in Good Health!

(And I'll let you know the next time I'm headed back out to the Bay Area.)

-Kurt

vanflynn
06-14-2013, 04:21 AM
Congrats. Beautiful uke!

I hope you don't have any other plans this weekend!

Dan Uke
06-14-2013, 04:27 AM

Sweet...that means I can use it to put my makeup on too...ooppss...TMI

caukulele
06-14-2013, 04:42 AM
What a splendid uke!!! It is simply beautiful!!!!! I can't wait to hear a sample. Ricks ukes are very special!!!!!

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
06-14-2013, 05:39 AM
Congratulations on your beautiful new uke!

Gillian
06-15-2013, 07:16 AM
Hi, Everyone,

Thanks for the congrats.

I'm going through the "string elimination" phase now. I've scratched Aquila and Worth low-G sets off the list. Next up is the Southcoast ML-SW set that sounded so good on Gary's CR.

bunnyflower
06-15-2013, 08:17 AM
That is just beautiful!

GinnyT11
06-15-2013, 09:50 AM
Well done, Gillian! I love the idea of sequoia in a uke. It will mean so much more to you for having California wood. I look forward to you playing it in a video.

mm stan
06-15-2013, 11:24 AM
Aloha Gillian,
Southcoast sounds good girl....woo hoo are you looking for medium tension soft compound medium guage strings..have fun and enjoy....so happy for and cannot wait to see
your videos.....I know you must be playing the heck outta it...yes the local flavor woods is the only way to go...Happy Strummings ...:)

Gillian
07-02-2013, 07:14 PM
Well, I finally made a video playing my new CR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_mEYfZuMfo

The audio quality doesn't do the uke justice, neither does my playing. I thought the Star Spangled Banner, based on Dominator's excellent tabs (http://dominator.ukeland.com/Images/ssb.pdf), was appropriate for the upcoming July 4th.

Newportlocal
07-02-2013, 07:31 PM
That was excellent!:D

erivel
07-02-2013, 07:46 PM
Sounds great Gillian!

Tigeralum2001
07-02-2013, 08:03 PM
Very nice! I am glad you are enjoying it!

coolkayaker1
07-02-2013, 08:09 PM
great playing, gillian. and your paintings back there--super!

Dan Uke
07-02-2013, 08:35 PM
That was most excellent...I was anticipating shrieking sharp high notes but it was very nice.

Gillian
07-02-2013, 08:47 PM
Aw, thanks, guys!

I had Rick lower the action for me. Now it plays SO easy. A real joy.

Gillian
07-02-2013, 08:51 PM
That was most excellent...I was anticipating shrieking sharp high notes but it was very nice.

Thanks. I thought I'd do a calm, mellow rendition. The Jake-thing isn't my style. :)

hawaii 50
07-02-2013, 09:05 PM
Thanks Gillian...your CR sounds nice...
and you are looking good as usual..

take care..

mm stan
07-02-2013, 11:19 PM
Aloha Gillian,
I am glad to hear you got your uke fine tuned and it is sounding even better than before....Happy strummings... is Rick a man who stands behind his ukes...:)

caukulele
07-03-2013, 03:49 AM
Hi Gillian, You have a beautiful uke and the CR sounds incredible! Thanks so much for sharing. Rick makes incredible ukes!!!!!!!

bunnyflower
07-03-2013, 04:15 AM
That was really really lovely!

UkueBass23
07-03-2013, 05:00 AM
My word. It is gorgeous! Enjoy playing it as much as I have enjoyed just looking at it!!

Gillian
07-03-2013, 08:42 AM
Aloha Gillian,
I am glad to hear you got your uke fine tuned and it is sounding even better than before....Happy strummings... is Rick a man who stands behind his ukes...:)

Hi, Stan,

Yes, Rick stands behind his ukes. It came across to me, after talking to him and his assistant luthiers, that they have much pride in the instruments they build.

mds725
07-03-2013, 09:06 AM
Gillian, that was wonderful! As a fellow CR owner, I hope I can someday make my uke sound as nice as that did. Congratulations on the beautiful ukulele and the great performance!

Rick Turner
07-03-2013, 09:08 AM
A new uke...or guitar...is a starting place which Gillian graciously understands. It's not until the final string choice is made and the player's desired action can be dialed in that the instrument is "there", and even then I advise a setup/tune up at about 4 to 6 months out and then monitoring for any possible climate induced changes, and yes, even fret wear. My own CR is actually showing mild fret divoting now after playing it for nearly 6 years. It's not buzzing, so I'm going to leave it alone for a while, and then it's got a good two or three "level, crown, and polish" jobs worth of frets, but I will play it enough to eventually want to refret it. The funny thing is that there is more wear under the first three strings...nylon on nylon Savarez...than under the fourth string which is silver plated copper on nylon. I'd have thought the metal on metal wear would be more pronounced than it is, and I do play a lot of barred and closed chord positions. What do I know? I just design and build 'em...

mm stan
07-03-2013, 10:20 AM
A new uke...or guitar...is a starting place which Gillian graciously understands. It's not until the final string choice is made and the player's desired action can be dialed in that the instrument is "there", and even then I advise a setup/tune up at about 4 to 6 months out and then monitoring for any possible climate induced changes, and yes, even fret wear. My own CR is actually showing mild fret divoting now after playing it for nearly 6 years. It's not buzzing, so I'm going to leave it alone for a while, and then it's got a good two or three "level, crown, and polish" jobs worth of frets, but I will play it enough to eventually want to refret it. The funny thing is that there is more wear under the first three strings...nylon on nylon Savarez...than under the fourth string which is silver plated copper on nylon. I'd have thought the metal on metal wear would be more pronounced than it is, and I do play a lot of barred and closed chord positions. What do I know? I just design and build 'em...
I guess you keep your fingernails trimmed too Rick :)

mm stan
07-03-2013, 10:22 AM
[QUOTE=Gillian;1315411]Hi, Stan,
Aloha Gillian,
I am glad to hear you got your uke fine tuned and it is sounding even better than before....Happy strummings... is Rick a man who stands behind his ukes...

Yes, Rick stands behind his ukes. It came across to me, after talking to him and his assistant luthiers, that they have much pride in the instruments they build.[/QUOTE

OOPS, Mistype Rick and Gillian...I know Rick is a stand up guy....:) supposed to read Rick is a man who stands behind his ukes...:)

Raygf
07-03-2013, 10:34 AM

The audio quality doesn't do the uke justice, neither does my playing. I thought the Star Spangled Banner, based on Dominator's excellent tabs (http://dominator.ukeland.com/Images/ssb.pdf), was appropriate for the upcoming July 4th.

Congratulations! What a marvelous instrument. I enjoyed your playing. Love the big smile at the end. Thanks for posting a link to the tab. Let me go run through it once or twice. "And the rockets red glare . . ."

hawaii 50
07-03-2013, 11:08 AM
[QUOTE=Gillian;1315411]Hi, Stan,
Aloha Gillian,
I am glad to hear you got your uke fine tuned and it is sounding even better than before....Happy strummings... is Rick a man who stands behind his ukes...

Yes, Rick stands behind his ukes. It came across to me, after talking to him and his assistant luthiers, that they have much pride in the instruments they build.[/QUOTE

OOPS, Mistype Rick and Gillian...I know Rick is a stand up guy....:) supposed to read Rick is a man who stands behind his ukes...:)

Hey Stan I been telling you about Rick for almost a year now..he is a "stand up guy" if you have a chance to meet him or talk to him you will understand..but the internet causes problems for everyone..

and Rick does stand behind his work..if you read his threads that is what he is all about..quality first and always..

because of the internet no more real human contact...just people looking for the negative instead of the positive in other people....

just my 2 cents

mm stan
07-03-2013, 11:44 AM
Aloha Len,
It was a mistype.....:) one day I will be fortunate to get a ukulele from him I hope... :)

[QUOTE=mm stan;1315481]

Hey Stan I been telling you about Rick for almost a year now..he is a "stand up guy" if you have a chance to meet him or talk to him you will understand..but the internet causes problems for everyone..

and Rick does stand behind his work..if you read his threads that is what he is all about..quality first and always..

because of the internet no more real human contact...just people looking for the negative instead of the positive in other people....

just my 2 cents

strumsilly
07-03-2013, 11:52 AM
wow, what a beauty. I ,m kind fond of the redwoods as tops. I just got an MP with a sinker redwood top. I'm not happy with the strings on it. I'm going to try some Alohi with the 2 wound bases. congrats on that beauty again,

hawaii 50
07-03-2013, 12:01 PM
Aloha Len,
It was a mistype.....:) one day I will be fortunate to get a ukulele from him I hope... :)

[QUOTE=hawaii 50;1315515]

Sorry Stan I was not on your case...
just wanted to echo what Gillian said about about Rick and Compass Rose ukes....

Newportlocal
07-03-2013, 01:56 PM
[QUOTE=mm stan;1315481]

just my 2 cents

I hope to do that soon. It's only a six hour drive from here. Everyone that has met him says he is great.

Dan Uke
07-03-2013, 02:01 PM
Thanks. I thought I'd do a calm, mellow rendition. The Jake-thing isn't my style. :)

You can really tell your instrument is great cuz the intonation was spot on...I like calm and mellow. :)

guitharsis
07-21-2013, 09:34 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_mEYfZuMfo

Beautiful sounding uke. Great playing too. Congrats!

Radio Flyer
07-21-2013, 12:48 PM
looks beautiful and i'll bet it SMELLS good too!

jinsk90
07-21-2013, 01:43 PM
looks beautiful and i'll bet it SMELLS good too!

They sound REALLY good too!!!