Votes: 35 32.1%
  • Tenor

Votes: 36 33.0%
  • Baritone

Votes: 11 10.1%

• Total voters

BIGDB

Reaction score
Since all sizes sound different I'm wondering what everyone's favorite size ukulele is for sound? Also id love to hear why you like it the most.

Last edited:
You should make the poll multiple choice. The answer depends on what I'm in the mood to listen to. I like the vintage soprano sound on occasion, but I also love a modern tenor... Concert doesn't sound overly unique to me. I have a Baritone I bought during the "Baritone Revolution" (is that still going on?), but I personally didn't care for it.

I like tenor, but concert is my favourite. Large enough for comfort yet small enough for classic ukey vibe.

Soprano (which is all I currently have) is great, but I find it a little small for playing comfort.

I'm afraid I never really got into bari. They just seem, to me, like guitars that can't be bothered to make the effort. Just my personal thing - no disrespect intended to baritone players or makers.

Traditional sound, soprano.....
Love my concert, tenor and baris too...does it really matter if you have a ukulele passion?:eek:

Concert is my preferred size for playing because it is the most comfortable. I have 5 concerts and the sound range is from bright and punchy (the KoAloha) to deep and rich (the Kamaka Ohta San). They all sound great as does my KoAloha soprano.

Interesting that nobody, thus far, has singled out tenor in their narrative as their true preference, but nine of twenty chose tenor in the poll. I guess most tenor fans like to keep a low profile.

As for me, I have two tenors and two sopranos and I rarely pick up the sopranos. The concerts that I have played didn't feel good to me. Had I not come from years of guitars and mandolins, things might have been different although, even with mandolins my playing preference is an octave mando which is the tenor uke of the mandolin world, size wise.

I only play sopranos, but voted baritone. That sound is my favorite, I just don't like playing it.

For sound definitely the soprano. For fingering, have historically preferred concert scale but I'm finding myself leaning heavily toward tenor.

Oh...and if I could have selected two I would have chosen soprano and baritone because I like the baritone, too, but for entirely different reasons.

The tenor is actually my least favorite sound but is becoming my most favored scale...what a quandary...if only the tenor-necked sopranos weren't so ungainly in appearance and balance.

John

I love the soprano the most. But I love the concert since it can sound like a soprano or a tenor when it wants to.

I like the sound of baritones the most. With no disrespect intended, I don't understand people who think that a baritone ukulele is merely a small guitar. I think they're missing the nuanced differences between the two. I have both, as well as a steel string tenor guitar (four-stringed guitar tuned DGBE, like my baritones) and they don't sound the same at all. Baritones have a deeper voice than the voices of smaller ukuleles, but they retain that strong percussive quality that you find in smaller ukuleles but don't find in guitars. people who "dis" baritones as small or inadequate guitars ought to go to a music store that carries guitars and baritone ukuleles to appreciate the difference.

Listed concert, but in reality it is whatever uke happens to be in my hands.

I like the sound of baritones the most. With no disrespect intended, I don't understand people who think that a baritone ukulele is merely a small guitar. I think they're missing the nuanced differences between the two. I have both, as well as a steel string tenor guitar (four-stringed guitar tuned DGBE, like my baritones) and they don't sound the same at all. Baritones have a deeper voice than the voices of smaller ukuleles, but they retain that strong percussive quality that you find in smaller ukuleles but don't find in guitars. people who "dis" baritones as small or inadequate guitars ought to go to a music store that carries guitars and baritone ukuleles to appreciate the difference.

What you said.

Concert for me.
I have a Lanikai LU-21c and a Fluke which I find much more forgiving if a string (any, or all of them) should go out of tune a little bit. Also more forgiving of fretting errors at the nut especially.
If I had a Kamaka soprano instead of a Makala, my vote might be less biased but if that Dolphin is not fastidiously tuned, it is a little harsh.

Nothing beats the sweet, mellow sound of a great soprano uke for me. In the past year, I've learned to love the deep, mellow tones of the baritone uke as well.

Lately, I've learned that if I tune a tenor uke down to FBbDG, the sound has more of the mellowness my ears love. Still, soprano!!!!!!

Tenors are my favorite to listen to or to play. I also like to play the baritones. My one decent soprano is really a novelty. I have large hands with long fingers, not much room to move around on a soprano.

If I were going to explain the ukulele to a visitor from another planet I'd show 'em a good soprano first.

My first Uke was a concert and I loved playing it, however after I got my Tenor that has become my favorite and my go to. It's a low G and I just love the sound. Recently I got a soprano but still gravitate to the tenor

I love the way sopranos sound in the right hands, unfortunately those hands don't belong to me yet so I play a concert most of the time.

Top Bottom