My trip to the Islands

Tigeralum2001

Reaction score
A ukulele love affair story by TigerAlum...

A few weeks ago I went to the Islands; specifically The Big Island, Kauai, and Oahu for a total of 2 weeks. It was a great time in which I spent plenty of time with my family while mixing in some awesome ukulele related events.

The first ukulele event was a meet-up with one of my ukulele heroes, Mr. Chuck Moore. Chuck and his wife Bonnie are just filled with Aloha. They are wonderful people and most gracious hosts. My wife and I had a great time visiting with them. It was an amazing experience that I will cherish. If you have a chance to meet Chuck sometime, definitely do it! The beauty of his ukes are but a small reflection of the man! I could go on, but it would border on fan-boy gushing. ;)

On to Kauai. I arrived on a Wednesday, which just so happens to be a day Aldrine plays at the Oasis. Guess where we ate dinner? ;) Ok, I know Aldrine is talented because we've all seen the videos- but, I was blown away! We are talking HUGELY talented- one of the best in the world! I was amazed. If you have the chance to see him, go. If you need to buy tickets, do it. I'm not sure why I never bought his CD, but I did after that concert (and you should, too- great tracks on there. Mostly originals, but at least one cover). I got to meet him and chat a little while. He is also a nice guy. It was great seeing the tourist who had no idea "Oh, look honey, a ukulele player..." Yep- one of the best in the world. Watching peoples' stunned reactions when he started shredding was almost as fun as listening to him tear it up. Go see him!

Later on Oahu I celebrated Ukulele Day, a holiday I made up, but one we should all celebrate in our own way. To get warmed up on Ukulele Eve, I went to tour Kanilea. While there, I ran into the owner of Ukulele Source (my local ukulele store) who was also there on vacation. The next day (Ukulele Day), I got to meet another one of my UU heroes, one Mystery Man Stan! My friend Len (Hawaii 50) and I met up with Stan and went to tour KoAloha. Afterward we met Andrew from HMS at Ko'olau where he introduced us to Noa and gave us a tour of Ko'olau. Once that was through, we hung out with Andrew and took him to lunch, where we happened to bump into Aaron from HMS (it's a small island). We then we went to HMS and met Corey and Eli and played some amazing ukes. Then we topped all of that off with a shave ice from Matsumoto's. I don't know what the others would say, but I had a most wonderful day!!! I mean doing all of that ukulele related stuff all in one day... that IS a holiday!

The only "K" factory I didn't have a chance to tour was Kamaka. I learned a lot about the production of ukes and the major differences between the brands. That is a post for a different day, though. It was a great learning experience and a ton of fun! If you get a chance to do any of it, I highly recommend it! I'm not sure what it is about ukulele people, but they were all just awesome! It made me truly believe the talk about the power of the ukulele to change the world, as corny as that may sound.

To all involved, thanks again for taking the time to meet me and for the Aloha you shared with me! Thank you, dear reader, for reading my tome! I'm sure for most it was tldr. :)
Aloha!

Wow! That sounds like an amazing time in paradise! What a great experience!

Dream trip. Really happy for you. What an amazing time!

Sounds like an awesome time pal. Last year we only went to The Big Island and Kauai, and Aldrine wasn't gigging because he was just about to leave for a tour. At least I had a chance to say hi and shake his hand when I recognised him in Lihue Quiznos :)

We're going back in November 2014 for our 20th wedding anniversary, and I'm going to shoehorn a trip to Oahu in so I can hang out with MM Stan and Andrew & the guys at HMS.

Where did you stay on Kauai ? We've stayed at The Islander on the Beach south of Kapa'a the last 4 times, but we're always open to alternatives.

Hey CJ

wow that was some "ukulele holiday" huh? had way too much fun..
Stan was great hanging with us..he paid the price the next couple of days,,lots of pain,,but I am sure it was worth it for him to meet you too..

and Andrew,,,, what a great time picking his brain..man we talked about everything ukulele in those 4 hours...Noa and John(their dad) were a wealth of knowledge too..sorry Andrew from keeping you away from your work..

too bad Mike(MGM) was away in NY..but you can meet him next time you on Oahu..

July 21 is the Ukulele festival in Kapiolani Park..that is a first for me..i am going to help MGM out and enjoy all the Music there..they expect 10,000 people at the festival..wow

we gots to do it again CJ..see you soon

Hey CJ I forgot..you should post the picture of you standing on the KoAloha uke body..haha

Last edited:
Aloha CJ,
Amazing Vacation you had....I am sure you will return back soon again, and yes it was an amazing jam packed day of fun, was a pleasure to finally meet you in person...Must have been great to be on Kauai and the Big Island and meeting Chuckie and Aldrine.....
and here at the Koaloha and Kanilea factories...meeting Andrew, John, Noa, Aaron, Eli, and Cory.... And the shave ice was a great treat to end the Perfect day...
I paid the price for a couple weeks, but like Lenny says, lets do it again when you are back in town.... :)

Aloha CJ,
Amazing Vacation you had....I am sure you will return back soon again, and yes it was an amazing jam packed day of fun, was a pleasure to finally meet you in person...Must have been great to be on Kauai and the Big Island and meeting Chuckie and Aldrine.....
and here at the Koaloha and Kanilea factories...meeting Andrew, John, Noa, Aaron, Eli, and Cory.... And the shave ice was a great treat to end the Perfect day...
I paid the price for a couple weeks, but like Lenny says, lets do it again when you are back in town.... :)

Right on Bruddah Stan..
see you soon CJ

A dream come true, and the seed of dreams to come.

Oh man..I could have cruised all day. It was like a badass crew of ukology professors.
Unfortunately, most people aren't as passionate about ukulele as we are. What's wrong with them?

Oh man..I could have cruised all day. It was like a badass crew of ukology professors.
Unfortunately, most people aren't as passionate about ukulele as we are. What's wrong with them?

Aloha Andrew..wow we are ukology professors huh? haha
but you are the Dean of Ukology(and you so young yet..)

could of spent all day with You and Noa and Your dad..thanks again..so much fun!
that was a once in a lifetime moment..bowl of Saimin and the Ukulele ..wow

Glad you had such a great trip. I'm jealous though, the only islands we can afford to visit from New Jersey are Manhattan, Staten and Long.

Scooter

Mahalo Len for being a big trooper and driving us around and Andrew for the great hospitality, and meeting CJ and Andrew, they are two cool dudes man....CJ and I really enjoyed it.........made my day:)

Auwe! I can't believe I missed it! Stupid job! :)
I hope next time something like this happens I can tag along. Len, I will for sure stop by on July 21. I will probably be playing with the strummers again. See you then!

Auwe! I can't believe I missed it! Stupid job! :)
I hope next time something like this happens I can tag along. Len, I will for sure stop by on July 21. I will probably be playing with the strummers again. See you then!

I will be Mike's(MGM) assistant at the Ukulele Site(aka HMS) booth..come say hello..this my first Ukulele Festival..since I lived on Northern Calif..for so long..

in fact I hope all the UU members that are at the festival comes up to say hello..

Top Bottom