Greener grass? Should I get a Kanilea instead of my KoAloha? Luxury problems...

we tigers

Reaction score
Am I just a little spoiled and am I imagining luxury problems?

Recently I bought a KoAloha concert. I love it to bits. It has a beautiful stripy grain and the sound is absolutely top-notch!

But...

When I bought it I was also considering a Kanilea concert. And now that Kanilea is still nagging in the back of my mind. My Covered Bridge has a 1.5" nut and is my most comfortable uke. It plays like a dream. My sister in law has an Islander concert and also has the 1.5" nut (the same neck shape as the Kanilea) and also is really comfortable for me and my bass player hands.

Should I try and find someone who is willing to trade? Or is this a case of greener grass and should I just shut up about it?...

UAS.

You gots it. :smileybounce:

EDIT: Alright, just to actually contribute to the thread and answer your problem. I actually purchased a KoAloha a couple months ago, and I did have similar nagging "what-if" questions going through my head. But after sticking to my ukulele, I've really grown accustomed to the nuances of my ukulele over my others--even tried Collings, Kamakas, and other KoAlohas at a local shop and I still hold mine as #1. If that 'grass is greener' feeling doesn't go away after a few weeks or months, then maybe you should consider trading, or if you wallet can take it, get both K brands.

Last edited:
Two different sounds....depends on preference... keep the KOaloha and get the kanilea from HMS....then decide....(((Keep both)))) :)

My KoAloha concert is bright and loud, but very sweet. It has also become more warm with age. My Kanile'a is more woody sounding, it is a tenor however. I don't think you should part with the KoAloha concert. I have a KoAloha Tenor, Concert, and Soprano, but the concert is the one I grab first. I haven't played a Kanile'a concert for awhile, but it could and should be a very sweet uke.

Too many variables. Very likely that overall sound differences as originally strung might become vastly different simply with different strings. Then, there is the fact that virtually all solid wood instruments change their tone over time. And some woods change more quickly than others. Both of my tenors are of similar age but one has "matured" more quickly than the other.

I bought a second uke because I wanted two distinctive sounds. As it turned out, despite having quite different tonewood combinations (all acacia vs. mango back/sides with cedar top), I am of the opinion that the greater sound difference between the two comes with string changes even to the effect of certain string choices bringing both ukes closer in overall sound nature and quality while other string combos tend to make them sound worlds apart.

Last edited:
Based on what you just said, I think the key issue, more than sound, is what feels best in your hands. Sound and quality wise, you can't lose either way. Both have their fans, and both are often called "tone monster", but if you like the neck of the Kanilea better, you will likely play it a bit better.

the only way you'll really know is to get one and play it awhile. be patient and get a used one, play both, and then keep one. [ or if you;re like me you'll end up keeping both]. I have a Koaloha concert [satin] and a Kanilea tenor [gloss] I think they are both great ukes and it would be hard to part with either.

See if there is any way you can hear the Kanile'a you want to buy. While they all sound good, some do sound better than others.

OK, ... Now do you want Gloss, Satin, or UV Satin.... while we're at it....regular, deluxe, or premium ? :D

I've never played a stringed instrument of any kind with a more comfortable neck profile than my Kanile'a. Not tried a Koaloha (mainly because of the aesthetics of their Ukes...I know it's shallow, but it transcends mere "dislike" and borders on "hatred"), but I heard they're quite chunky.

See if there is any way you can hear the Kanile'a you want to buy. While they all sound good, some do sound better than others.

OK, ... Now do you want Gloss, Satin, or UV Satin.... while we're at it....regular, deluxe, or premium ? :D

Premium Gloss...you know you want it!

I had both and preferred the Koaloha much more than the Kanilea. I didn't like the geared tuners on the Kanilea and preferred the feel of the neck on the Koaloha. I can't remember but I recall that you are really tall like 6'4" so your hands are much larger than mine. If that's the case, I would imagine the 1.5" nut to be more comfortable.

I've never played a stringed instrument of any kind with a more comfortable neck profile than my Kanile'a. Not tried a Koaloha (mainly because of the aesthetics of their Ukes...I know it's shallow, but it transcends mere "dislike" and borders on "hatred"), but I heard they're quite chunky.

I am curious what you mean by "chunky"?

help me out here folks. ;)

It's got a fat sound. It's big. It's bright. I just got one and it was the sound that sold me. There are fancier lookin' instruments out there, but my concert sounds incredible to me.

The opposite of thin. Fatter. Deeper from front to back. Erm...help me out here folks. ;)

I thought the opposite...Koaloha don't taper as most ukes...it's the same thickness up the neck. I thought the Kanilea was fatter and rounder, more in lines of a Pono. I like the feel of Kamaka and Koaloha necks.

Of course, I'm going all by memory as the Kanilea didn't last long.

Both KoAloha and Kanilea are great instruments, good sound and necks feel good on both too (I have both in tenor size). To me the difference between the two is sound type. KoAloha sounds more traditional Hawaiian and Kanilea is a little more smooth and modern sounding to my ears.

My 11 year old daughter recently got a KoAloha Pikake, thanks Dana, and that little thing is a canon. What a great sounding and easy playing instrument. I"m 6'4" and have no issues with the neck and playing it. Gets a little tight higher up the frets playing all four fingers within 2 frets, but what a great uke!

Top Bottom