It's "High G" for Me!

musiccityuker

Reaction score
Very inexperienced... need advice. Have a Tenor strung Low G. Is there any more to making that a High G tenor than simply changing the strings?

You should be able to get away with just changing the strings. Going from high G to low G sometimes entails working on the nut and bridge a little to make the heavier string fit, but that shouldn't be a problem for you.

Great!

Thanks Haole. I'll give it a go!. Time to change the strings anyway... nothing to lose. Any advice on the best brand of strings for my situation?

There are a million different threads on that. In a nutshell pick the answer you agree with most from the following:

1. Its all personal opinion
2. Aquila
3. Worth (the brown ones look ugly)
4. D'addario
5. fishing line works fine
6. Buy a bulk pack of differing brands from MusicGuyMic on Ebay and try 'em all.
7. Its all dependent on your uke. If its mahogany, use D'addario; Koa, use Aquila.

Personally, I'm still not sure of the best brand of strings. I have ordered a set of Worths, a set of Aquila and a set of D'addario for my concert (mahogany). I plan on trying them all and staying with the ones that feel and sound best. I like the Aquilas that came with my laminate mahogany soprano, so I'll leave that one as-is.

Worth (the brown ones look ugly)

Funny...I actually like the way the brown ones look. Maybe it depends on your ukulele. I suppose against a cedar or other light wood they might not look as good as they do on koa or mahogany. I bought a set because aside from the fact that I think the Aquilas are brighter and I prefer more mellow tones, I also thought the brown Worth would be more aesthetically pleasing as well. Different strokes for different folks, I guess...

It really is personal taste and preference. Maybe its dependent on the style of music you dig at the moment too. I plan on experimenting with as many different types of strings as I can get. Instead of buying a new uke every time I want a new sound, I'm just changing out the strings.

New strings give you a new leash on life.

Top Bottom