What uke does James Hill play in this video?

n00bii

Reaction score
Hi all.
Can anyone help me figure out what make is that uke James playing here?
I think I'm in love. :eek:

Nevermind. It is a G-String. Just fugured it out. Now... where to get one...

Last edited:
One word of caution...having the same uke James plays won't make you (or I) sound anything like him. Guys like James, Jake, etc., can wring magic out of a Kala while we mere mortals still sound pretty average even on premium ukes. :)

Oh...I lied...two words of caution - that video was shot with a very nice microphone in an acoustically perfect space (radio studio).

Still...it's a great goal to shoot for. :)

John

It's a custom uke made for him by G-String. They made similar ones as a 'James Hill' signature series as well (http://ukulelefriend.com/?portfolio=custom-james-hill-ukulele-2) but I'm afraid G-String is now closed down so it's not in production anymore. Perhaps if you ask James Hill kindly, he might donate it to you? ;) Or if you're lucky you might find one in secondhand one day.

That James Hill GString was built in 02 by Derek, if I remember right. The signature models were made in 07 (?) and had the slotted headstock rather than the slanted headstock.

I've sent an email to Derek. Being is a nice person he agreed to make a custom uke for me. Not a full replica of James uke, but a close copy.
Lalz, He is not out of business. What makes you do such a statement?

Top Bottom