Aquila red low G- big surprise, larger diameter than wound low G

wendellfiddler

Reaction score
It won't fit in the slot on my Collings - but the wound string does. I picked up a few of them to try out - I guess I'll wait til I have a uke with a winding block instead of a slot. I'm not about to increase the size of the slot for it.

I thought they were supposed to be smaller diameter!

Anyone else surprised by this?

Has anyone mixed a Flourocarbon Low G with Aquilas? Are the FL low G's smaller diameter than the Red?

Doug

I'm not surprised at all. That's the nature of a wound string. It adds the desired mass without the diameter. If you want an unwound low G string then it has to be thick. That's the physics.

Anthony

I thought they were supposed to be smaller diameter!

I think the reds are supposed to be thinner diameter than other unwound strings. I certainly wouldn't expect them to be thinner than wound strings for the same pitch. Wound strings for ukes are typically a nylon or fiber "rope core" surrounded by a very thin metal wire winding. That metal winding, being very dense, allows for a high density to diameter ratio.

John

Just slightly increase the slot size... if you use some sort of a file that has a beveled bottom then you have zero worries about slightly increasing the slot. If your file has a square bottom, then you may have a problem with it rattling. I can't imagine a Collings has such little back-pressure that a thinner string added in a properly-widened slot would rattle later on.

Top Bottom