PDA

View Full Version : Pants Wetter: Pono CE solid body!

coolkayaker1
06-14-2013, 07:43 AM
http://theukulelereview.com/2013/06/14/new-pono-ce-solid-body-tenor-review-comparison/

Goodness sakes, that looks amazing.:drool:

I have a KoOlau CE-1 and I truly love it. It plays so solidly. It just feels different than a traditional uke.

Andrew...this is going to be huge. Thanks.

P>S> How in the world does Mr. Fujimoto do that 3rd and 10th finger stretch on a tenor neck at 2:50 minutes? Oh, my!

caukulele
06-14-2013, 08:37 AM
Wow, that sounds incredible...and Corey just keeps getting better and better...He's a fantastic player.....and I love the sound of this Pono!

Hippie Dribble
06-14-2013, 10:08 AM
Oh...this is about a uke? Shucks, I'll grab my coat then....

When I read Pants Wetter I thought this thread was about the new German jazz maestro.

mds725
06-14-2013, 11:17 AM
I love the ukulele, but I didn't wet my pants. Is there something wrong with me?

AndrewKuker
06-14-2013, 11:45 AM
Thanks for sharing Steve.
Just a tid bit for you guys. One of the top Pono builders did this side project electric with flame mango. my dad saw it and sent me this picture from the factory saying- they have a batch of really nice mango, what do you think about using it on some of the TE models? I could hardly even reply, I just kept staring...
http://theukulelereview.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Pono-Mango.jpg

King David
06-14-2013, 12:09 PM
Hey Andrew, real quick question on the Godin comparison to the others. Does the Multiuke have more volume unplugged with the added "sound holes"(below the fretboard + holes near EQ nobs) or do I have the complete wrong idea/am seeing the images wrong? Whatcha think? Aloha

ichadwick
06-14-2013, 01:14 PM
Did I miss the price? Looks great but what cost? I've been pondering another solid-body uke for a while...

Jim Hanks
06-14-2013, 01:24 PM
Says $649 at the top of the article. I know Corey could make bailing twine strung over a wet paper bag sound good, but, holy smokes! :drool: I like the warmer Godin sound too. Why would *anyone* would get the KoOlau when the alternatives are so dang good?

Sparkle
06-14-2013, 01:26 PM
Good lord. I WANT A UKE THAT LOOKS LIKE THAT. And sounds like the video...

AndrewKuker
06-14-2013, 01:38 PM
Hey Andrew, real quick question on the Godin comparison to the others. Does the Multiuke have more volume unplugged with the added "sound holes"(below the fretboard + holes near EQ nobs) or do I have the complete wrong idea/am seeing the images wrong? Whatcha think? Aloha
Below the fingerboard is the truss rod access for adjusting. The slider Eq ports do add volume.

hawaii 50
06-14-2013, 01:57 PM
http://theukulelereview.com/2013/06/14/new-pono-ce-solid-body-tenor-review-comparison/

I have a KoOlau CE-1 and I truly love it. It plays so solidly. It just feels different than a traditional uke.

P>S> How in the world does Mr. Fujimoto do that 3rd and 10th finger stretch on a tenor neck at 2:50 minutes? Oh, my!

Hey Cool

I am glad Corey getting some buzz on the UU lately..he is only in his early 20's but he can play for real!..could be the best kept secret on Oahu,,i know he working on a CD now..

he does not visit the UU but I will relay all the nice words to him..

greyghost
06-14-2013, 01:58 PM
Wow, that sounds incredible...and Corey just keeps getting better and better...He's a fantastic player.....and I love the sound of this Pono!

Did I read that right? Does he seriously refer to himself as an "average" player? I might as well just give up now.

bborzell
06-14-2013, 03:27 PM
Well, guess who is having a birthday on October 1st? This will be the easiest birthday gift my wife will ever have to come up with.

BTW, can someone remind me the name of the tune that Corey opens with in the video? Thanks.

bborzell
06-14-2013, 03:28 PM
Did I read that right? Does he seriously refer to himself as an "average" player? I might as well just give up now.

I don't believe that Corey wrote the body of the review.

OldePhart
06-14-2013, 03:33 PM
Okay...I've been known to suffer from UAS on occasion...I've even been known to drool a little at the sight of a really nice piece of work or stunning wood grain. But...if I ever...I mean ever...wet myself over a ukulele you have my permission to have me carted off to a long-term care facility... :biglaugh:

John

iDavid
06-14-2013, 03:47 PM
I think many of us with have our favorite acoustic uke and a solid body Pono. It is just a no brainer. I will be visiting Hawaii this summer and hope to try one out. Either way, I will be getting one in the near future.

bborzell
06-14-2013, 04:29 PM
Okay...I've been known to suffer from UAS on occasion...I've even been known to drool a little at the sight of a really nice piece of work or stunning wood grain. But...if I ever...I mean ever...wet myself over a ukulele you have my permission to have me carted off to a long-term care facility... :biglaugh:

John

I wonder if boiler plate advance directives include terminal incontinence?

AndrewKuker
06-14-2013, 05:55 PM
Brah, watchu said?
Ahh the BE..
I better not say. I'm pretty sure all your bodily fluids will find their nearest exit and you'll be in a mess.
My best advice is to truly believe whatever you want is coming and it will manifest.

iDavid
06-14-2013, 06:38 PM
Are these ukes available now? Do you think production will keep up with demand????

UkeKiddinMe
06-14-2013, 09:11 PM
Very beautiful.

mds725
06-14-2013, 09:54 PM
Ukuleles and urination. Thanks for planting that off-the-wall connection in my head.

dkcrown
06-15-2013, 01:38 AM
Thank goodness for Depends!

bborzell
06-15-2013, 04:14 AM
So I guess nobody knows the name of the first tune Corey places on the demo video?

The Big Kahuna
06-15-2013, 04:24 AM
Corey does.

bborzell
06-15-2013, 11:58 AM
Corey does.
No, I don't think that's the one. Maybe you could hum a few bars.

AndrewKuker
06-15-2013, 01:33 PM
Corey does.

lol..often he doesn't.
Europa by Santana?
One of Jupiters moons...the one with oceans and.... extraterrestrials !

experimentjon
06-15-2013, 01:56 PM
Nice!

I'm not a huge fan of the acacia grain (especially on the photographed model) but I bet that a highly figured maple or mango top (as alluded to in the review) would be beautiful...and perhaps some top binding too. Then it might truly be irresistible to me.

bborzell
06-15-2013, 01:58 PM
Thanks Andrew. And for correctly identifying the title of this song, my wife will order a TE for my birthday on October 1st. Now, about that mango top...

iDavid
06-21-2013, 11:01 PM
When will the Pono Solid body be available?

bborzell
06-22-2013, 03:46 AM
When will the Pono Solid body be available?

They are scheduled to release them for my birthday, October 1st.

PTOEguy
06-22-2013, 04:52 AM
OK so the CE pictures were very cool, but my drawers were intact until the flame mango picture. While actual urination did not occur, I did make a vow to save my money and not buy other ukuleles (except for my school ukulele project) in hopes that a flame mango CE will be available.

coolkayaker1
08-09-2013, 11:15 AM

Edit: No pick is every used with this instrument, shady. All ukes one could use a pick, and I know, because it's shaped like an electric guitar, many assume a pick is used. But, nope, with the amplification or not, it's a fingering delight. Thanks for your comment.

coolkayaker1
08-09-2013, 11:24 AM

(see post below for the front photos) Hi, all. I just wanted to post my new (used) KoOlau CE Myrtle. Some uke pics next to my koa CE. I was changing the strings on the Myrtle, and the light seemed right, so I took photos of the brothers together. lol

Andrew knows I dig these KoOlau CEs. There is something about the flatness that makes them easy to hold, yet dense and solid. The action is super low, no buzzes, and it just plays so sweetly. Yep, even without any amp. I love them. The heft and feel--I just can't explain it.

Anyhow, I got a deal on both of these, and I assume the Pono CEs coming out soon will be killer great, too! I think KoOlau has hit it out of the park on this model--much less feedback and a clearer sound than any amplified traditional bodied uke I have ever seen.

So, everyone, save your coins for a KoOlau--or for the new Pono CEs coming out soon (maybe Andrew or Mike have an update). I think Len saw a Pono CE this summer he said, so maybe they're around already?

Cheers.

PS These were satin finish, but a couple thin coats of Tru-Oil and the bodies shimmer like a gun stock.

PPS One has KoOlau branded tuners, one Grover tuners. Anyone know why? Older model, newer model? Thanks

Shady Wilbury
08-09-2013, 11:38 AM
Oh, that's pretty...and sounds gorgeous. Pity he's using a pick, but I suppose you need the attack with an electric instrument. :)

Wicked
08-10-2013, 03:57 AM
Why is it a "pity" to use a pick?

coolkayaker1
08-10-2013, 12:54 PM
I think Brittni Paiva often uses a pick, no?

Wicked
08-10-2013, 04:00 PM
I think Brittni Paiva often uses a pick, no?

Many of the pro/semi-pro players do - unbeknownst to many on these forums, aparently. It's just another tool in the box.

Radio Flyer
08-10-2013, 04:29 PM
i noticed in the 'ukulele for dummies' book the author was adamantly against the use of a pick. is this a purist sort of thing? i like using my fingers only but have to admit, after guitar it was kind of hard to strum with just my finger.

Wicked
08-10-2013, 05:28 PM
i noticed in the 'ukulele for dummies' book the author was adamantly against the use of a pick. is this a purist sort of thing? i like using my fingers only but have to admit, after guitar it was kind of hard to strum with just my finger.

It is a total crock of #%€£. There, I said it.

The whole "real ukulele players never use picks" seems to be stronger the further you get from Hawaii, in my experience. Many of the Hawaiin masters that I have seen will use a pick at least some of he time. Thumb picks appear to be more popular than flat picks among that crowd, but it pretty much proves that "ukulele purity" is just ridiculous.

The ukulele is a tool to make music... however you chose to play it. Don't let some knucklehead tell you what's right and what's wrong... Just make music. You never hear anyone complain when James Hill uses chopsticks... so why do people get their panties in a bunch over what is essentially an artificial thumb nail?

13down
08-11-2013, 03:13 PM
The whole "real ukulele players never use picks" seems to be stronger the further you get from Hawaii, in my experience. Many of the Hawaiin masters that I have seen will use a pick at least some of he time. Thumb picks appear to be more popular than flat picks among that crowd, but it pretty much proves that "ukulele purity" is just ridiculous.

That's hilarious.

I do somewhat understand the anti-pick bias. Many of the unique qualities that we associate with the sound of the ukulele are related to a very specific style of playing: fingers (in some cases, just two or three fingers) plucking/strumming the strings where the body of the instrument meets the neck.

I often find myself playing the uke with a pick and closer to the bridge. It's a different sound - certainly different from the classic uke sound that many people think of. I did that for a while as a beginner before discovering the "real" way to play. When I discovered the "real" way, I was amazed at how much different it sounded, and how much more it sounded like the sound I'm used to hearing in recordings. It's a good style to know.

For that reason, I definitely agree with how teachers have their students play it that way.

Here's an interesting thought that occurred to me: in the Mainland (and other parts of the world), the ukulele faces much more competition from the guitar, so ukulele players often feel a need to go out of their way to distinguish it. Saying "No picks! And never play it near the bridge!" certainly distinguishes uke-playing from guitar playing.

I should add that I don't think that's necessary, and it sometimes bothers me when people have that attitude. But I feel like I understand where it's coming from. I especially understand when people ask me, "How come you don't just play guitar?" But I still play the uke in "non-uke" ways sometimes, and I don't feel like I'm doing anything wrong.

On another note, I recommend getting Pickbody wooden picks if you play the uke with a pick.I had thought that a light plastic pick or a felt pick would be best for the uke's light strings, but, to my surprise, wooden picks actually sound the most natural to me.

Radio Flyer
08-11-2013, 06:06 PM
chopsticks...that sounds interesting!

Jim Hanks
08-11-2013, 06:56 PM
chopsticks...that sounds interesting!
This thread has gotten seriously derailed but here ya go - http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?62553-James-Hill-plays-ukulele-with-chopsticks!

FWIW, I play with Wedgie rubber picks.

To get back on track, I'm looking forward to the comparo between the new Ponos and Tetons

Wicked
08-12-2013, 02:13 AM
You are correct. I appologize for steering the thread so far afield.

By the way, those Ponos look pretty nice - especially when you consider the expected price point. I think that the increase in selection for these types of instruments bodes well for the ukulele, in general. They make it easier for the ukulele to be included in an ensemble... which contributes to its acceptance as more than a novelty.

coolkayaker1
08-12-2013, 04:47 AM
No issue, all. I love digressions. I think it was a healthy discussion regarding picks.

It is funny how the CEs look like small Fenders, and now we're discussing picks. I doubt we'd be talking about this if the thread was about a new line of sopraninos. Lol.

Although I have the CEs I need for now, I can't wait for those Pono CEs. I wonder if, esp. At the mentioned price point, they'll hurt Koolau CE sales. Likely, I'd say, unless their not too similar for some reason.

A CE-1 sample from Aaron. wow!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=o92nhGuLR8Y#at=56

Doc_J
09-08-2013, 11:05 AM
Any update on the new Pono solid body electric tenors?

http://vimeo.com/68374120

coolkayaker1
09-09-2013, 07:00 PM
I agree. What's the 411?

AndrewKuker
09-09-2013, 09:57 PM
October. My dad's been going back and forth. He leaves for Java again in a few days. Been raving about the workers over there, and is real happy with these TE models. Although, he had to pay 6 grand to Indonesian customs for the shipment of Misi's. So that sort of blew his mind. I told him next time we gotta smuggle them in. Covert Misi ops... He didn't seem as excited as me about that idea, just said we won't be able to maintain the price that we introduce them at. Probably raise it next year. Other than that all is going to plan. Thanks for asking.

coolkayaker1
09-10-2013, 03:56 AM
October. My dad's been going back and forth. He leaves for Java again in a few days. Been raving about the workers over there, and is real happy with these TE models. Although, he had to pay 6 grand to Indonesian customs for the shipment of Misi's. So that sort of blew his mind. I told him next time we gotta smuggle them in. Covert Misi ops... He didn't seem as excited as me about that idea, just said we won't be able to maintain the price that we introduce them at. Probably raise it next year. Other than that all is going to plan. Thanks for asking.

Thanks, Andrew. Appreciate the information. Wow, customs ding for Misi's is outrageous. There's got to be some way to get Misis, or some other name brand pickup, in there without that outlay.

Will be looking on your website when they're out in about a month.

The Big Kahuna
09-10-2013, 04:05 AM
Do MISI pickups have sharp edges ? Just wonderin' about a possible sideline.

coolkayaker1
09-10-2013, 04:29 AM

Make it happen, Big!

grahamdh
09-27-2013, 08:17 PM
Checking HMS/TUS every day. She will be mine. Oh, yes, she will be mine.

AndrewKuker
09-30-2013, 07:04 PM
Caught Noa glueing up a bari CE today. This one is going to James Hill!

https://s4ee134128e51b.img.gostorego.com/809E82/cdn/media-v2/s4/ee/13/41/28/e5/1b/koolau_bari_ce_4_james.jpg

Here's some in production-

https://s4ee134128e51b.img.gostorego.com/809E82/cdn/media-v2/s4/ee/13/41/28/e5/1b/pono_ce_models_copy.jpg

A few will come out with a Tahitian influence....

https://s4ee134128e51b.img.gostorego.com/809E82/cdn/media-v2/s4/ee/13/41/28/e5/1b/tp8.jpg

ahhh, everything takes too long though. waiting waiting waiting...

hawaii 50
09-30-2013, 07:19 PM
Caught Noa glueing up a bari CE today. This one is going to James Hill!

https://s4ee134128e51b.img.gostorego.com/809E82/cdn/media-v2/s4/ee/13/41/28/e5/1b/koolau_bari_ce_4_james.jpg

Here's some in production-

https://s4ee134128e51b.img.gostorego.com/809E82/cdn/media-v2/s4/ee/13/41/28/e5/1b/pono_ce_models_copy.jpg

A few will come out with a Tahitian influence....

https://s4ee134128e51b.img.gostorego.com/809E82/cdn/media-v2/s4/ee/13/41/28/e5/1b/tp8.jpg

ahhh, everything takes too long though. waiting waiting waiting...

Hey Andrew..let me know if James Hill comes over to test drive his new uke....haha

AndrewKuker
09-30-2013, 10:13 PM
Hey Andrew..let me know if James Hill comes over to test drive his new uke....haha

oh man, that would be so epic I would forget to call! I'd be running for my camera. Nah, actually this one will fly off. He's getting married and too busy to come play for us. He said his next album will be very baritone based. Way different I would think. He's often tuned up a step and reentrant. Of course, he's so musical whatever he does will be great.

hawaii 50
09-30-2013, 10:19 PM
oh man, that would be so epic I would forget to call! I'd be running for my camera. Nah, actually this one will fly off. He's getting married and too busy to come play for us. He said his next album will be very baritone based. Way different I would think. He's often tuned up a step and reentrant. Of course, he's so musical whatever he does will be great.

maybe next time....

grahamdh
10-01-2013, 02:48 PM
Oh man, those are looking nice. Any idea on when they'll hit the site?

coolkayaker1
10-02-2013, 05:49 AM
Those photos are off the hook, A! Those Ponos are going to sell like pancakes at a church breakfast.

And who'da thunk it--James Hill playing a baritone CE! Can you imagine the deep bass on that thing when he whips out the chopsticks!?

hawaii 50
10-02-2013, 06:12 AM
Those photos are off the hook, A! Those Ponos are going to sell like pancakes at a church breakfast.

And who'da thunk it--James Hill playing a baritone CE! Can you imagine the deep bass on that thing when he whips out the chopsticks!?

Oh Yeah Cool

should be interesting to see what he does with that Uke....wow!

AndrewKuker
10-02-2013, 09:16 AM

You crack me up, the chopsticks were my first thought too. Subwoofer action. I have no idea what his direction is but I'm gonna jump on for the ride. They got pancakes at church? I may have to repent!

coolkayaker1
10-14-2013, 04:49 PM
Love the info on James Hill's baritone CE on your blog site, Andrew. Wow.

Will the new Pono CEs have thick Pono neck of the tenors?

AndrewKuker
10-15-2013, 02:32 AM
Love the info on James Hill's baritone CE on your blog site, Andrew. Wow.

Will the new Pono CEs have thick Pono neck of the tenors?

thx ck, Ya, they have the Pono neck. Ko'olau is a bit slimmer. Do you still have two? I wish I had kept mine.

coolkayaker1
10-16-2013, 02:54 PM
thx ck, Ya, they have the Pono neck. Ko'olau is a bit slimmer. Do you still have two? I wish I had kept mine.

Thanks, Andrew, for the 411. I do still have two. I like the low profile KoOlau neck profile. I'm sure the radiused fretboard on the Ponos will be keen, though. Nice~ I'm sorry the Ponos are a tad behind anticipated schedule bc of that MiSi and import taxation debacle.

SparkyD
10-19-2013, 01:03 PM
Any news lately on the Pono TE? I've been doing a bunch of searches all over the place, and this solid-body electric seems to have dropped off the radar. The only mention on the Ko'olau site is on their Pono FAQ page, but I can't find any other reference. Or am I just looking in all the wrong places?

I'm still lovin' my Teton, so I'm not in EUAS mode, but I'm always curious about what's out there, electrically-speaking.

bborzell
11-08-2013, 07:12 AM
Wondering if the Pants Wetting has been cured? Have not heard of any symptoms for the last 30 days or so.

October Birthday came and went. Christmas list currently being compiled.

coolkayaker1
11-15-2013, 04:26 AM
Pants are still damp, bborzell. While we wait for Andrew to post an update, I'm going to buy a box of adult diapers.

Fluffy cotton cloth, washable, big pink safety pins. The good stuff.

iamesperambient
11-15-2013, 06:08 AM

I would climb the highest snow covered mountain and than fight a yeti for one of these things really nice!!!!!

coolkayaker1
11-15-2013, 09:21 AM
I would climb the highest snow covered mountain and than fight a yeti for one of these things really nice!!!!!

You might not have to do any of that, i. Just knock your piggy bank on the forehead with a ball peen hammer and Andrew will ship you one when they're out. ;)

AndrewKuker
11-15-2013, 11:26 AM
Yes, I am often a victim of faith. Optimistic like a dog. Word is next week. So definitely between now and never.... I have some great Godin's with little blem discounts :cool:

paw123los
11-15-2013, 07:54 PM
Yes, I am often a victim of faith. Optimistic like a dog. Word is next week. So definitely between now and never.... I have some great Godin's with little blem discounts :cool:

I don't see those mentioned Godin's on the webpage. Where we can find them ?

AndrewKuker
11-16-2013, 01:33 AM
I don't see those mentioned Godin's on the webpage. Where we can find them ?

Sorry if I got off topic CK. It was more of a diversion from the lack of good news on the topic. But yes, we have a handful of the Godin's with super minor blemish stuff rejected at setup. I haven't listed them but call me anytime (808)781-9168. I'll be at the Ukulele Guild meeting in the morning but will have my phone. I give u goo deal. :shaka:
(hope to show some new Pono's soon :()

iDavid
11-16-2013, 02:31 AM
I got a Godin from Andrew and it is Awesome.

AndrewKuker
12-06-2013, 11:29 AM
Aloha friends. Update for those interested. The import tax of pickups was solved. Joel and Danny at Ko'olau will install the pickups here, and there will be different options. The new CE case included really nice too BUT...bummer is the price... gonna be higher than I thought (and said). So I bought the first small batch and was allowed to sell them cheaper in a small attempt to uphold my info. Mahalo, email or check site...shoooots
http://s4ee134128e51b.img.gostorego.com/809E82/cdn/media/s4/ee/13/41/28/e5/1b/catalog/product/cache/1/image/6e3e117d8c70e39179cbb6e84d26cc33/p/o/pono_te_gloss_cedar-.jpghttp://s4ee134128e51b.img.gostorego.com/809E82/cdn/media/s4/ee/13/41/28/e5/1b/catalog/product/cache/1/image/6e3e117d8c70e39179cbb6e84d26cc33/p/o/pono_te_gloss_cedar--5.jpg

aquadan
12-06-2013, 12:17 PM
Wonder if the kids would mind skipping Christmas so I can have one of these.

Also, it's good to see you back Andrew!

iDavid
12-06-2013, 12:23 PM
Love the cedar top. Looks great and the price is really good.

KoaDependent
12-06-2013, 12:42 PM
Wonder if the kids would mind skipping Christmas so I can have one of these.

Also, it's good to see you back Andrew!

If they really loved you, they'd understand.

If they don't really love you, you can threaten to play nothing but the tin can-jolele you're getting all day long until they agree.

Doc_J
12-06-2013, 02:00 PM
Andrew, I was looking at the back of this new Pono TE-2 (beautiful uke!).
I didn't see any battery cover. Then I realized, it is a MiSi pick up!
There is an adjustable truss rod, too. Wow!

http://s4ee134128e51b.img.gostorego.com/809E82/cdn/media/s4/ee/13/41/28/e5/1b/catalog/product/cache/1/image/6e3e117d8c70e39179cbb6e84d26cc33/p/o/pono_te_gloss_cedar--11.jpg
http://s4ee134128e51b.img.gostorego.com/809E82/cdn/media/s4/ee/13/41/28/e5/1b/catalog/product/cache/1/image/6e3e117d8c70e39179cbb6e84d26cc33/p/o/pono_te_gloss_cedar--15.jpg

ukulelecowboy
12-07-2013, 05:12 AM
Andrew,

Any chance for a Bari version?

Mike

coolkayaker1
12-07-2013, 06:06 AM
Those are amazing looking instruments, Andrew. Wow! And for the price, with Mi-Si, this is an absolute steal. Even if the price goes up, it'd be a no-brainer. Thanks for the looksey.

Although I still play and love my Pono slot-head maple cutaway (from HMS about two years ago...man, it's great stuff), I do favor a thinner neck (might not be as much of an issue now that the Ponos have radiused fretboards, I think), and I'm enjoying the neck and feel of my KoOlau CE-1s.

Even then, these Ponos are tempting. I'll bet that cedar topped one sounds fantastic even unplugged, given the chambered body and the resonance of cedar. Hopefully, you'll get some time to put up the others that you have in stock on your website.

These are fantastic instruments, for anyone on the fence. There's something about the size of the body, the thinness of it, that makes it super easy to play, hold, and enjoy. It's like a regular laptop, and a MacBook Air--they may do similar things, but the Air just feels, oh, so good! With my KoOlaus, I can play soft or loud, still hear myself play well (not just a little, but clearly and very well), and yet can really strum it when I pretend I'm Brittni or Jake, and it doesn't kill everyone in the house. I honestly think that, with an acoustic uke, I play with a little bit of reservation because of the volume, even when no one is around. Hard to explain, but I think you know what I mean, Andrew.

aquadan
12-07-2013, 06:13 AM
If they really loved you, they'd understand.

If they don't really love you, you can threaten to play nothing but the tin can-jolele you're getting all day long until they agree.

HAHAHAHAHAHA
I think child protective services might pay me a visit if I do that.

coolkayaker1
12-08-2013, 06:04 AM
Who's getting one? Just curious.

Doc_J
12-08-2013, 07:10 AM
Who's getting one? Just curious.

I had been thinking about getting an electric chambered tenor for a while.

I almost bought a used Ko'olau CE-1. But I like the MiSi and the gloss finish. So, a TE-2 is on the way to Georgia. I've got an inexpensive ($20) Rogue amp. Anybody recommend a decent amp for this?

coolkayaker1
12-08-2013, 11:57 AM
Good deal, man! That will be fun, Doc. Wondering about the details, if you got the cedar topped one or a different one. Gloss is good. I think you'll like it (even if not amplified). I wish I could tell you which amp to use; I use a Fender Tweed Deluxe, which is huge, weighs about 80 lbs, and I can set it at only volume level 1 when I play in the house (2 when the wife's away). Not a great amp for this uke. lol Let us know here when you decide which amp to get, Doc. Cheers!

PS I think hat recent thread by Gerald Ross about his Yamaha may be the one for you...I saw it when I saw him live and it was sweet! May have to UU search Gerald Ross Yamaha.

I had been thinking about getting an electric chambered tenor for a while.

I almost bought a used Ko'olau CE-1. But I like the MiSi and the gloss finish. So, a TE-2 is on the way to Georgia. I've got an inexpensive ($20) Rogue amp. Anybody recommend a decent amp for this?

Doc_J
12-08-2013, 01:33 PM
Thanks Steve. I'll check out the Yamaha amps, my other thought was a Roland Cube GX.

This batch of Pono TE-2 ukes is all cedar topped. Not sure how much difference the top wood makes on these. But I did see James Hill had a softwood (spruce?) on his custom Ko'olau CE.

grahamdh
12-08-2013, 02:31 PM
Mine's headed to Portland. Gonna get my jam on.

coolkayaker1
12-09-2013, 01:07 AM
Post #72 on this thread sure shows grahamdh and Docs cedar Ponos well. Wow! Congratulations to you both.

Personally, I'd get the Yamaha over the Roland. Gerald did his entire concert in a huge place with that one shoe box sized amp. Amazon sells it, so liberal returns. But, it's all good. Roland, too.

Why is this called a TE-2? Is there a TE-1?

bborzell
12-09-2013, 08:58 AM
I gave the HMS link to my wife as soon as Andrew posted the notice that they were available. Since Christmas presents have to be secrets, I can't say with absolute certainty whether I'm getting one or not. Time will tell. Sounds like they are going fast, though. As in, no longer listed on the site.

If I do luck out though, I'll play it through a Princeton Reissue.

coolkayaker1
12-09-2013, 12:41 PM
Bborzell, you are lucky to get that for a gift. So, we have three people on UU alone getting it (and there were six to start with, I think). BTW, my KoOlaus are both satin, but guess what--a little fine coating of Tru-oil with an old t-shirt, and they both sparkle. Look just like gloss--honestly. So, for anyone getting a satin, who prefers gloss, that's one idea.

PLease, the three of you, tell us what you think of those ukes. Wow, exciting.

Doc_J
12-09-2013, 01:16 PM
P
Why is this called a TE-2? Is there a TE-1?

Bborzell, you are lucky to get that for a gift. So, we have three people on UU alone getting it (and there were six to start with, I think). BTW, my KoOlaus are both satin, but guess what--a little fine coating of Tru-oil with an old t-shirt, and they both sparkle. Look just like gloss--honestly. So, for anyone getting a satin, who prefers gloss, that's one idea.

Steve, I'm guessing that at least 1 difference between the TE-2 and the TE-1 maybe gloss vs. satin. I recall the HMS listing said these 4 tenors were all TE-2, gloss deluxe models with upgraded MiSi pickups. So these 4 TE-2s all are gloss. Satin models are supposed to be $100 less, according to the listing. But they haven't listed the satin models yet.

grahamdh
12-09-2013, 03:00 PM
Mine is actually a little different. I had a credit with HMS and was the first to get on "the list" as it were. It's one of the solid acacia prototypes, I believe, and it's got a passive Pono pick-up.
I may try to score one of the satin finish, as well, but that's dependent on whether or not I can unload my Xbox One.

bborzell
12-09-2013, 07:44 PM
I tried to casually inquire whether she had any idea if I might be seeing a new instrument of any as yet undisclosed nature and I was summarily ignored.

Just in case, I might stop in at Costco tomorrow and pick up a box of adult diapers.

grahamdh
12-10-2013, 11:15 AM
Duuuuuuuude
Easily... EASILY... the tightest, most exquisite instrument I've ever used. This is the be all, end all of electric UAS for me. Still need an acoustic tenor, but... Man. Damn. Tuning pegs so tight, smooth and precise, not a hint of wiggle, unplugged tone is sweeter than any guitar could hope to be, and case... the CASE. Beautiful. So much effort went into this ukulele, that's clear. The perfect satin finish (my personal preference), a single, perfectly placed volume knob, the whole thing is awesome.
I had to take away my Cordoba's belt and shoelaces, as it's well aware of its new place in the line up.

Pictures are from my subpar phone, but they'll do for now.

coolkayaker1
12-10-2013, 06:45 PM
Thanks for explaining the TE-2 vs -1, Doc.

Wow, g, that is the bomb! What a great looking ukulele. And acacia, huh. Well, that really does beat all. I think Corey played an acacia one on the comparison video from HMS: looked at Pono v. KoOlau v. that one from Canada, shoot, I'm blanking here. There's something about the feel of these flatties that just is solid and good, I agree with your description. I see no battery door for 9V on yours, though--so that must be a rechargeable MiSi? You mention proto Pono pickup...is it passive? Does the battery go in that one back door?

bborzell, your wife called in an order of two cases of Depends to the Costco that my brother manages out your way in colfax, so something tells me you're getting a Kala under the tree, and she knows it's going to go over like a ballerina's tutu at boot camp. LOL

Hey, brother b, seriously, I think you'll be getting a Pono; that is, except that they are all accounted for except the one on the wall in the video below. could that be yours on lay-away!?

Anyone else notice behind Mr. Gamaio's right shoulder, on the wall, is a cedar topped Pono chambered electric?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJNXc1b1LdA

I did see

bborzell
12-10-2013, 07:05 PM
bborzell, your wife called in an order of two cases of Depends to the Costco that my brother manages out your way in colfax, so something tells me you're getting a Kala under the tree, and she knows it's going to go over like a ballerina's tutu at boot camp. LOL

Hey, brother b, seriously, I think you'll be getting a Pono; that is, except that they are all accounted for except the one on the wall in the video below. could that be yours on lay-away!?

Anyone else notice behind Mr. Gamaio's right shoulder, on the wall, is a cedar topped Pono chambered electric?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJNXc1b1LdA

I did see

Hard to tell how this will play out; timing is everything. But, the Depends has to be a better option than a catheter.

She did ask me to confirm that I really wanted a Masonite top, though. Maybe something got lost in the translation.

coolkayaker1
12-10-2013, 07:25 PM
Hard to tell how this will play out; timing is everything. But, the Depends has to be a better option than a catheter.

She did ask me to confirm that I really wanted a Masonite top, though. Maybe something got lost in the translation.

Masonite top. You slay me. I think you'll have to go with a KoOlau custom. Noah can do soundboards in Masonite, Formica, even Spanish tile.

There's a rumor that the soundboard in Pergo from Home Depot sounds like aged koa. Or was that aged Feta? I forget now, to be honest.

OldePhart
12-11-2013, 03:06 AM
Or was that aged Feta?

Okay...I just sprayed oatmeal all over my keyboard and monitor. Who is going to clean up this mess! LOL

John

bborzell
12-11-2013, 04:58 AM
Okay...I just sprayed oatmeal all over my keyboard and monitor. Who is going to clean up this mess! LOL

John

That's gonna be a tough one. What with all available hands either holding a bowl and spoon or hunting and pecking. Might have to get used to sticky keys.:drool:

bborzell
12-11-2013, 05:00 AM
I do have a Masonite type Danelectro guitar. Sometimes I think about turning it over and using it as a cheese cutting board.

Doc_J
12-11-2013, 02:37 PM
These new Pono electric tenors really sound good. New HMS video by Corey.

http://player.vimeo.com/video/81585935

And this is the TE Cedartop with the passive pick up!

grahamdh
12-11-2013, 04:15 PM
Yeah, the passive pickup is pretty remarkable. I picked up a new Marshall practice amp today, just a little one, but the Pono sounds fantastic. With the gain dialed up there's a great crunchy AC/DC sound, and clean is a beautiful jazzy sound. I figure it's gotta be the solid body that causes that. The sustain is pretty awesome for a nylon stringed instrument.
I really couldn't be happier, I even managed to fit my strap in the case, rolled up behind the neck. Now I need an effects pedal, can't wait to Wah out with my uke out.

Doc_J
12-17-2013, 07:48 AM
Mine just arrived. Great sound and looks. The body looks a little more like mahogany than acacia to me. But, I'm no expert. Either way is fine with me.

Ran it though a Yamaha THR-5A with some chorus and hall effects. Sounds very cool.
https://app.box.com/s/o63dk19qonc8id4mieev

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=62034&d=1387304963
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=62035&d=1387304989

coolkayaker1
12-17-2013, 10:13 AM
My goodness, Hodge. That sounds so crazy awesome! Thanks for the sound sample. You don't need another amp, do you? I'm impressed. So fine looking on your photos, too. Doesn't it have a certain feel, also. It feels heavy yet compact. Easy to play unplugged, kicking back on the couch.

Doc_J
12-17-2013, 12:06 PM
Doesn't it have a certain feel, also. It feels heavy yet compact. Easy to play unplugged, kicking back on the couch.

Yes, well said Steve. It is heavier than an acoustic uke, but feels right, very easy to play. The radiused fretboard is nice too. Sounds great unplugged too.

BTW the THR-5A amp is new, and goes well with the TE-2. Thanks for the suggestion.

grahamdh
12-17-2013, 04:46 PM
Mine is definitely a different wood... I think... maybe... possibly. But I did get one of the prototypes rather than the final design. I believe it's Acacia, but I'm not certain. Either way, yours looks great, Doc! I'll have to see if I can get as good a picture as you have.

bborzell
12-17-2013, 08:28 PM
Only 7 more shopping (waiting) days until I discover if I join the ranks of the solid body Pono folks.

Macmuse
12-18-2013, 02:04 AM
Only 7 more shopping (waiting) days until I discover if I join the ranks of the solid body Pono folks.

Only hours (hopefully) until I see what and hear what ours is actually like. :)

bborzell
12-20-2013, 08:18 AM
Only hours (hopefully) until I see what and hear what ours is actually like. :)

And, hours having passed, what's the verdict?

I wonder how many were sold since the offering at the originally stated price? Did they all go to UU folks? If so, why are we not inundated by gushy reviews?

Macmuse
12-20-2013, 08:44 AM
And, hours having passed, what's the verdict?

I wonder how many were sold since the offering at the originally stated price? Did they all go to UU folks? If so, why are we not inundated by gushy reviews?

Hours have indeed passed... it did arrive on the 18th.

Sorry, busy time at work and sending off my fellow uker on holiday travels.

The initial verdict is over here: http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?91265-Electric-invasion-New-Ukes-Day

Aquadan noted that our, um, less than perfect playing is quite noticeably amplified (hmm, wonder why that would be?) when this one is plugged in. We've been all acoustic here until about a week ago. I hadn't gotten around to getting an amp to try out the Brüko until this Dec. ;)

The Pono sounds just wonderful, even unplugged (which is how I will be dealing with it until I get a song down well enough to be comfortable plugging it back in). It is NOT as quiet as I would have expected when unplugged. You can actually get decent sound out of it acoustically (due to it being chambered - not actually a solid chunk of wood?).

I love the cedar top. Straight, clean, lovely color. I am tickled with the grain "stripes" up the side - visible to the player when in playing position - it's not as noticeable in my pics as it is in person. Just delightful character, complete with a little beauty mark on the back to the left of the pickup cover. I'm a sucker for unusual and lovely grain (hence the choice on the Timm's 0 for Aquadan - love that one) Andrew picked well for us from the satins he had available. We couldn't be happier. :)

As to how many were sold and to whom... only Andrew could say. I'm guessing they are all gone and absolutely, a good few went to UUers -- Andrew (if you are keeping an eye on this thread) was it all us UUer's who manage to snag this first round?

coolkayaker1
12-26-2013, 10:03 AM
bborzell must have gotten a Kala.

bborzell
12-26-2013, 12:53 PM
bborzell must have gotten a Kala.

Whoops. I posted some shots in a Santa thread. Here we go:

http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll468/bborzell/a2a5019b54eabd9361374a692e5cf675.jpg

http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll468/bborzell/0f42e7776519071704a2cee9fb7749bc.jpg

http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll468/bborzell/2ef39ba5cd172465e11f75e81a48c3b5.jpg

http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll468/bborzell/3068089d74da253bd4c50ce7da2393e4.jpg

Might as well plagiarize what I wrote there:

"Neck and radiused fretboard are a pleasure to play. Neck is a bit thinner than my Pono acoustic ATDC. Only burp is higher action than I expected.

So far I have played it through a Polytone bass amp, a Fender Princeton Reissue, a Genz Benz Shenandoah Acoustic and Roland Cube 60. Strange as it might seem, the clearly best sound is with the modeled Acoustic setting of the Roland. All the amps produce a clear and balanced tone, but I was seriously pleasantly surprised by the Cube 60.

The Pono was worth the wait. Thanks, Santa."

coolkayaker1
12-26-2013, 01:18 PM
Bborzell, that looks awesome! Wow, it really pops.

That's great news about the neck being thinner than the acoustic Ponos, not such great news about high action (but, can be sanded to your preference at next string change). I have no wound strings on my CE-1s, I use Fremont Blacklines. I see all of yours come with two wound and two unwound. Wondering what you and the others thing of the acoustic (non-amped) playability of it? Thanks for the pics, brother.

bborzell
12-26-2013, 01:30 PM
I wasn't surprised by the acoustic volume because I have a Godin electric mandolin with a chambered body and it is much louder than the solid swamp ash bodied J. Bovier electric mando that I own.

Having said that, I should add that the volume is more than adequate for practicing, but there is a decent but different tonal quality acoustically that gets blown away when amplified. The CE presents a full and lush tone. Gotta assume tha the pickup is doing outstanding work here. If I could figure out a way to carry a quality amp around wherever I went, i'd be tempted to make the CE my daily player.

Gonna leave the action alone for awhile. Guessing that it has a positive effect on volume/quality. If it starts feeling like too much effort plsying up the neck, I'll lower it. Does mske me wonder how the other CEs were set up, though.

Thanks for bringing this grand bargain electric uke to our attention.

Doc_J
12-26-2013, 01:45 PM
I concur the neck has a good comfortable feel. It is thinner than on acoustic Pono ukes, more D than C shaped. My TE2 setup was good, low with no buzz. Mine arrived with Mahana reentrant (no wound) strings, different from yours. It sounds excellent with the Mahana strings. Seems the setup varied a bit.

grahamdh
12-26-2013, 06:11 PM
The action on mine is a bit higher than I thought it would be, but only slightly, less than a millimeter. Mine also came with non-wound strings, clear and they sound great, but a bit thicker than I like.
The acoustic sound is just about perfect for practice, but doesn't do justice to the amped sound. I've run mine through my Marshall practice amp and it's got a great, clean sound but a really fun crunch with the gain dialed up.
Today I've been having some fun with the iRig I got for Christmas, laying down rhythm tracks and soloing over them.
The TE2s are a seriously good time.

RedRamen
12-30-2013, 05:58 PM
Man. I'm so jealous of the people that got these. Any idea when a new batch will be available?

bborzell
12-30-2013, 06:09 PM
Man. I'm so jealous of the people that got these. Any idea when a new batch will be available?

They will be featured at NAMM in January so I would think that they will be in decent supply shortly thereafter.

coolkayaker1
12-31-2013, 03:06 AM
They will be featured at NAMM in January so I would think that they will be in decent supply shortly thereafter.

I did not know this.

bborzell
12-31-2013, 08:24 AM
I did not know this.

It is entirely possible that my pronouncement is rectally derived, but I am close to swearing that I read this comment from Andrew along about the time that Pono got their (shipping/customs/whatever it was) delivery speed bumps resolved on the CEs.

coolkayaker1
01-02-2014, 05:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g9eGUzTWUg

Oh, snap! Corey is playing gloss black, and check out that wall to screen right--it's loaded with these Ponos, including a pineapple six-string (maybe) in lower row, and what looks to be a baritone far left. Yet, none are on HMS website!

RedRamen
01-02-2014, 06:02 PM
wow. good find. the black one looks pretty great.

hawaii 50
01-02-2014, 06:13 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g9eGUzTWUg

Oh, snap! Corey is playing gloss black, and check out that wall to screen right--it's loaded with these Ponos, including a pineapple six-string (maybe) in lower row, and what looks to be a baritone far left. Yet, none are on HMS website!

Hey Cool...

the black ones going to Namm then going to be sold....I guess Andrew let the cat out of the bag...haha
I saw these black TE's they are pretty nice!! super glossy finish....

you got to visit the Ko'olau/Pono warehouse...when you come on Vacation...

coolkayaker1
01-07-2014, 06:47 AM
Thanks for the information, Len.

Here's an interesting video. A similar model has just been released by Island Ukulele, Mr. Rapozo. I confess, I owned a concert sized, acoustic Rapozo in the past, and it was deadwood. A truly attractive doorstop. Rayan of UU posted a thread about Raymond's ukuleles in the past, a warning, if you will. He was right.

Perhaps Raymond's latest models have improved, and they will need to be judged unto themselves. In particular, this solid body style instrument: perhaps it is the best of this style (besting Pono, KoOlau, Godin and even the one offs from KoAloha)--I do not know. But, here's one of several videos just released on the Raymond Rapozo solid body electric ukulele. I post it here, on this thread, in case someone is in the market for this ukulele styles and might consider Mr. Rapozo's latest creation. A buyer may wish to check them out in person when visiting his island.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGV0jKP4qPI

http://www.ukuleledirect.com/index.php

coolkayaker1
01-07-2014, 07:27 AM
And, since I mentioned it, here's KoAloha's rendition:

http://vimeo.com/70778568

bborzell
01-07-2014, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the information, Len.

Here's an interesting video. A similar model has just been released by Island Ukulele, Mr. Rapozo. I confess, I owned a concert sized, acoustic Rapozo in the past, and it was deadwood. A truly attractive doorstop. Rayan of UU posted a thread about Raymond's ukuleles in the past, a warning, if you will. He was right.

Perhaps Raymond's latest models have improved, and they will need to be judged unto themselves. In particular, this solid body style instrument: perhaps it is the best of this style (besting Pono, KoOlau, Godin and even the one offs from KoAloha)--I do not know. But, here's one of several videos just released on the Raymond Rapozo solid body electric ukulele. I post it here, on this thread, in case someone is in the market for this ukulele styles and might consider Mr. Rapozo's latest creation. A buyer may wish to check them out in person when visiting his island.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGV0jKP4qPI

http://www.ukuleledirect.com/index.php

Seems like quite the different animal what with the steel strings and magnetic pickups. I find myself thinking about steel string ukes with a blank look on my face. Guess I just don't get the same sound satisfaction as with FC strings with a quality acoustic pickup.

But it does sound good.

RedRamen
01-09-2014, 04:28 AM
Just found this:

http://theukulelereview.com/2014/01/03/variations-from-the-new-pono-electric/

More info on the new builds, including sample vids of the mango solid body (I want that so badly)

KamakOzzie
01-11-2014, 06:03 AM
Well, I'm officially on the list for a solid mango electric. Andrew didn't say when, or how much, so I'll just keep saving.............

Bill

The Big Kahuna
01-11-2014, 06:14 AM
Regarding the Rapozo ukes, I've tried several of his acoustic models on Kauai, and they're overpriced, badly finished junk, with all the tonal qualities of a barrel of hair. The solids will have to be several thousand times better to be worth considering.

xyz
01-11-2014, 07:00 AM

On this tune you'll see him do a 2nd to 12th finger strech... the most infamous stretch I have ever seen... man he has huge hands ;) and he's so talented ! to play that stretch I have to use my thumb and pinky...

http://vimeo.com/75634881

drewp
01-11-2014, 07:45 AM
Sorry to kinda jump thread...that is a gorgeous solid body Pono! BUT what is that song that Corey is playing in the first video on the first post? I've been watching it and have the beginning part down. I really like it. I think I've heard Carlos Santana play it (?cover it)). Thanks!

bborzell
01-11-2014, 09:05 AM
Europa. Europa. Had to say it twice cause one time was too short a message.

bborzell
01-11-2014, 09:13 AM
I've been playing my cedar topped TE-2 plugged in a fair amount, but not more than 16 hours.

Reason I know that it hasn't been 16 hours (how long it is said to last on a charge) is that the Mi-Si pickup is still going strong. Yesterday I read up on the PU charging method and realized that my Pono didn't come with the charger. Andrew is sending me the charger this weekend. Nice place to do business with.

Anybody with a TE with a Mi-Si have any input on how long the charge has lasted for them?

drewp
01-11-2014, 09:43 AM
Thanks!! I really mean Thanks! (message too short....)

OldePhart
01-11-2014, 01:44 PM
On this tune you'll see him do a 2nd to 12th finger strech... the most infamous stretch I have ever seen... man he has huge hands ;) and he's so talented ! to play that stretch I have to use my thumb and pinky...

Go go Gadget fingers! :)

OldePhart
01-11-2014, 01:48 PM
I've been playing my cedar topped TE-2 plugged in a fair amount, but not more than 16 hours.

Reason I know that it hasn't been 16 hours (how long it is said to last on a charge) is that the Mi-Si pickup is still going strong. Yesterday I read up on the PU charging method and realized that my Pono didn't come with the charger. Andrew is sending me the charger this weekend. Nice place to do business with.

Anybody with a TE with a Mi-Si have any input on how long the charge has lasted for them?

I have Mi-Si pickups in three of my ukes. I just charge them for 30 seconds before I'm going to use the pickup and don't worry about it. Longest I've played using the pickup at one stretch was about 3 hours, if I remember right, and I couldn't tell any difference in volume at the end. "Shelf life" between charges seems to be months.

John

bborzell
01-11-2014, 02:01 PM
I have Mi-Si pickups in three of my ukes. I just charge them for 30 seconds before I'm going to use the pickup and don't worry about it. Longest I've played using the pickup at one stretch was about 3 hours, if I remember right, and I couldn't tell any difference in volume at the end. "Shelf life" between charges seems to be months.

John

Thanks. Good to know that the charge life is adequate for any stretch I am likely to play. Nice that the Mi-Si also offers the additional perk of full and natural sound.

bborzell
01-13-2014, 11:01 AM
Spoke a few hours too soon. The Mi-Si just started breaking up a few minutes ago. Now that I think about it, I gotta have nearly 20 hours on the battery since the TE-2 arrived. Also got the shipping notice for the charger this morning.

OldePhart
01-13-2014, 11:50 AM
In a pinch you can recharge the capacitor in the uke from a 9V battery. All you need is a TRS (stereo) 1/4" cable. Go to the MiSi web site and poke around, they have instructions on how to do it. The 9V battery has a lot higher internal resistance than the charger so it takes a couple of minutes instead of 30 seconds to charge the capacitor.

To me this is one of the coolest things about the pickup. I don't think I've ever played a gig where there wasn't at least one 9V battery around that I could borrow for a couple of minutes.

John

ukulelecowboy
01-13-2014, 11:57 AM
I'll second John on this one. I have a MiSi installed in my Graziano and I love it's sound and versatility when we gig. I have a Ko'aloua CE-1 baritone and I wish it had a MiSi installed. Excellent choice for the new Pono.

bborzell
01-13-2014, 12:22 PM
In a pinch you can recharge the capacitor in the uke from a 9V battery. All you need is a TRS (stereo) 1/4" cable. Go to the MiSi web site and poke around, they have instructions on how to do it. The 9V battery has a lot higher internal resistance than the charger so it takes a couple of minutes instead of 30 seconds to charge the capacitor.

To me this is one of the coolest things about the pickup. I don't think I've ever played a gig where there wasn't at least one 9V battery around that I could borrow for a couple of minutes.

John

Thanks. Interesting that they require a stereo 1/4" cable. Off to dig through the only stereo 1/4" cable that I have (haven't used it since I played my 4001 bass in stereo mode, and that was a loooooong time ago).

EDIT: OK, I just figured out why it has to be TRS. Never mind.

bborzell
01-13-2014, 03:04 PM
Struck out looking for the stereo cable that I have not seen since Jimmy Carter was in the White House. Made a run to the "Shack" and found a TRS cable. Back up to full power. Great sound production and incredible ease of use. It's always nice to have two good reasons for doing something.

Big B
01-30-2014, 09:35 AM
Has anyone heard when the next round of ukes will be available (particularly the Mango version)?

joesilver
01-30-2014, 03:48 PM
Has anyone heard when the next round of ukes will be available (particularly the Mango version)?
Andrew at the Ukulele Site told me via email nine days ago that "In February more will arrive, or so I hear."

I actually had a gloss cedar-top model in my hands for a short time. It was a lovely instrument, in terms of both sound and appearance. Unfortunately, there was a minor issue with the finish, but Andrew was gracious enough to allow me to return it, in exchange for another one once the next batch comes in. I would encourage anyone who is is looking for a high-quality electric tenor uke to give serious consideration to the Pono TE-2 - and to budget for a pro setup, especially if you plan to perform with it and use the full range of the fingerboard.

Big B
02-19-2014, 09:13 AM
This should be on my doorstep tomorrow. Very excited! :D

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb135/bigbinbigd/PonoTE-MD_zpsce7523bf.jpg (http://s207.photobucket.com/user/bigbinbigd/media/PonoTE-MD_zpsce7523bf.jpg.html)
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb135/bigbinbigd/PonoTE-MD-2_zps9b0f11bd.jpg (http://s207.photobucket.com/user/bigbinbigd/media/PonoTE-MD-2_zps9b0f11bd.jpg.html)

ichadwick
02-19-2014, 12:04 PM
Know anyone in Canada who has one for sale?

Big B
02-19-2014, 02:08 PM
I'm pretty sure HMS ships to Canada. They have the cedar top version in stock now. Not sure who else carries them at the moment.

AndrewKuker
02-19-2014, 03:39 PM
Most are in stock. Spruce or cedar gloss and satin, the black finish, all acacia in satin or gloss, pretty much all except the mango. I just haven't listed them because I have to install the pickups. I've been just trying to keep up with setups, helping customers, and all that jazz, but I'll get to it soon. They're great though. I'm very pleased with the quality.

hawaii 50
02-19-2014, 03:44 PM
Know anyone in Canada who has one for sale?

I know that James Hill has a brand new Ko'olau electric...but I don't think he selling....:)

coolkayaker1
02-20-2014, 05:18 AM

[

It is beautiful. Did you get this same model, as pictured, and if so, did you have to pay extra for the secret whiskey flask with drinking hole below the bridge, or is that included free?

coolkayaker1
02-20-2014, 05:20 AM
I would encourage anyone who is is looking for a high-quality electric tenor uke to give serious consideration to the Pono TE-2 I'm confused, with KoOlaus, CE-1 is one volume knob; CE-2 is two knobs: volume and tone. CE-3, as rare as Sasquatch, has three knobs, and I would guess that the third knob is wired to the barmaid to call for more beer. Does the Pono TE come with more than one knob option? Or are they all just TE-2s? I'm not understanding the new nom...nomenc...noemenclat... naming system.

Big B
02-20-2014, 08:32 AM
It is beautiful. Did you get this same model, as pictured, and if so, did you have to pay extra for the secret whiskey flask with drinking hole below the bridge, or is that included free?

That is the actual one. The booze holder was extra. :) (The pickup hadn't been installed yet when the picture was taken)

joesilver
03-10-2014, 02:59 PM
...Only burp is higher action than I expected...
I found this to be the case with mine as well. I bought this instrument specifically for performing in a duo where I play electric uke exclusively, and I use the full range of the fingerboard, so reasonably low action is pretty important to me. Therefore, I didn't waste much time in sanding down the bottom of the bridge saddle.

This brought the action down to a more comfortable height, although still not quite as low as I would have liked. Unfortunately, it also had a detrimental effect on the amplified sound of the uke. Apparently the string break angle was now too low, plus only a small portion of the bridge saddle was now above the top of the bridge slot. (From what I understand, for optimum tone at least half the bridge saddle should normally be exposed.) The amplified volume is now reduced, and the G string (I use a low G) is lower in volume than the other strings.

However, I had a flash of inspiration! The Pono solidbody has an unusual design feature that lends itself to tweaking: It has a bolt-on neck. I decided to try a hack that has long been used by many electric guitar repair people and players who work on their own instruments: I unscrewed the neck and placed a thin shim in the neck pocket at the base, thereby increasing the neck angle (i.e., tilting it backwards a bit). I replaced the neck and tuned the uke up to pitch, and found that the action was now as low as that of any uke I've ever played! All I need to do now is replace the bridge saddle with one closer to the original height (or perhaps put a shim under the saddle I already have), possibly adding a second shim under the neck once I've done so, and I think I'll be in business!

I wanted to share this information for the benefit of bborzell and anyone else who may have purchased a Pono solidbody and been disappointed with the action. I definitely want to recommend shimming the neck before messing around with sanding the bridge saddle. There's lots of information to be found online about shimming electric guitar and bass necks, particularly Fenders, for anyone who is curious.

One more observation about my uke: The cedar top dings easily, possibly more easily than that of any other stringed instrument I've ever owned, including a cedar-topped acoustic uke and a classical guitar. I've owned mine now only a short time and, I dare say, treated it very gently, and the top is already full of fingernail pockmarks. If you are the sort who is at all anal about such things, I would advise you to relax and let it go - or buy a different uke! Otherwise, you will be miserable.

Jim Hanks
03-10-2014, 03:12 PM
I've never owned a Pono or a uke with a truss rod, but isn't this kind of adjustment what the truss rod is for?

joesilver
03-10-2014, 03:18 PM
I've never owned a Pono or a uke with a truss rod, but isn't this kind of adjustment what the truss rod is for?
Not exactly. The neck on my uke is already straight. Tightening it further would make it bow convex, which would not be desireable.

OldePhart
03-10-2014, 03:20 PM

No, the truss rod adjusts the relief in the neck (i.e. the neck should have a slight forward bow and tightening or loosening the truss rod controls this).

The neck set angle is how the entire neck is set relative to the soundboard and bridge. You can see on guitars where a typical flat top has a relatively shallow neck angle but an arch top will usually have a much higher neck angle and bridge, making the strings quite high off the body.

John

bborzell
03-10-2014, 08:19 PM
I found this to be the case with mine as well. I bought this instrument specifically for performing in a duo where I play electric uke exclusively, and I use the full range of the fingerboard, so reasonably low action is pretty important to me. Therefore, I didn't waste much time in sanding down the bottom of the bridge saddle.

This brought the action down to a more comfortable height, although still not quite as low as I would have liked. Unfortunately, it also had a detrimental effect on the amplified sound of the uke. Apparently the string break angle was now too low, plus only a small portion of the bridge saddle was now above the top of the bridge slot. (From what I understand, for optimum tone at least half the bridge saddle should normally be exposed.) The amplified volume is now reduced, and the G string (I use a low G) is lower in volume than the other strings.

However, I had a flash of inspiration! The Pono solidbody has an unusual design feature that lends itself to tweaking: It has a bolt-on neck. I decided to try a hack that has long been used by many electric guitar repair people and players who work on their own instruments: I unscrewed the neck and placed a thin shim in the neck pocket at the base, thereby increasing the neck angle (i.e., tilting it backwards a bit). I replaced the neck and tuned the uke up to pitch, and found that the action was now as low as that of any uke I've ever played! All I need to do now is replace the bridge saddle with one closer to the original height (or perhaps put a shim under the saddle I already have), possibly adding a second shim under the neck once I've done so, and I think I'll be in business!

I wanted to share this information for the benefit of bborzell and anyone else who may have purchased a Pono solidbody and been disappointed with the action. I definitely want to recommend shimming the neck before messing around with sanding the bridge saddle. There's lots of information to be found online about shimming electric guitar and bass necks, particularly Fenders, for anyone who is curious.

One more observation about my uke: The cedar top dings easily, possibly more easily than that of any other stringed instrument I've ever owned, including a cedar-topped acoustic uke and a classical guitar. I've owned mine now only a short time and, I dare say, treated it very gently, and the top is already full of fingernail pockmarks. If you are the sort who is at all anal about such things, I would advise you to relax and let it go - or buy a different uke! Otherwise, you will be miserable.

Thanks for your post. It is very timely as I was playing mine tonight and got to thinking about whether I wanted to sand down the bridge saddle. Ultimately, I decided that I would instead experiment with shimming the neck. I have a Godin electric mandolin that needed that tweak, too.

Glad to hear that you were successful in getting the action where you want it.

AndrewKuker
03-10-2014, 08:39 PM

Hey Joe,

When you sent it back for dings you never mentioned action or I would have taken care of it. It was set at 2.5 mm or a hair under at the 12th with ample relief in the neck for a possible tighten on the rod if need be and technique permitted. This is considered "low" action. Lower than anyone's "factory" specs. But if you wanted it lower I could have done that when I sanded and buffed it. And I have had to shim a neck on these but it is not a common necessity. Your signal may be affected by the perfect flatness of the saddle you sanded down. Let me know if you need help. I can send you another saddle.

kmac66
05-14-2014, 12:48 PM
How loud is the Pono solid body when played unplugged? Would it be drowned out by an acoustic uke?

bborzell
05-14-2014, 03:27 PM
How loud is the Pono solid body when played unplugged? Would it be drowned out by an acoustic uke?

It is plenty loud to practice, but playing it alongside an acoustic being play loudly would be both an exercise in futility as well as a misuse of the design. It is a solid body electric uke with a chambered body that is primarily designed to enhance tone, not provide volume.

coolkayaker1
09-09-2014, 10:21 PM

Wanted to quickly update this thread for anyone searching for a Pono chambered-body uke via Google or UU search. I was waiting for this--the baritones. Yum, yum! I picked up this one tonight from Andrew at HMS. Exciting! I'm looking forward to enjoying it. Will answer any questions when I've played it for a while.

Here's a video of the chambered-body baritone from KoOlau customs for an owner that I've never heard of, but, oh well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIOUYckdMog

Mahalo, all.

consitter
09-09-2014, 10:23 PM

Wanted to quickly update this thread for anyone who searches it for a Pono chambered-body uke. I was waiting for this--the baritones. Yum, yum! I picked up this one tonight from Andrew at HMS. Exciting! I'm looking forward to enjoying it.

Here's a video of the chambered-body baritone from KoOlau customs.

Mahalo, all.

Good for you Steve! I look forward to your review....

Cornfield
09-10-2014, 01:58 AM

Wanted to quickly update this thread for anyone searching for a Pono chambered-body uke via Google or UU search. I was waiting for this--the baritones. Yum, yum! I picked up this one tonight from Andrew at HMS. Exciting! I'm looking forward to enjoying it. Will answer any questions when I've played it for a while.

Here's a video of the chambered-body baritone from KoOlau customs for an owner that I've never heard of, but, oh well.

Mahalo, all.

James Hill model no less

PhilUSAFRet
09-10-2014, 02:26 AM

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb135/bigbinbigd/PonoTE-MD_zpsce7523bf.jpg (http://s207.photobucket.com/user/bigbinbigd/media/PonoTE-MD_zpsce7523bf.jpg.html)
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb135/bigbinbigd/PonoTE-MD-2_zps9b0f11bd.jpg (http://s207.photobucket.com/user/bigbinbigd/media/PonoTE-MD-2_zps9b0f11bd.jpg.html)

When I clicked on this pic to get a closer look at the missing knob, I got a popup from a Windows repair application that wanted to update my media player.

Big B
09-10-2014, 05:49 AM
Those are my pics stored on Photobucket. Not sure what is going on; should I take them down?

Jim Hanks
09-10-2014, 07:04 AM
pics worked fine for me

VegasGeorge
09-10-2014, 07:51 AM
Not that it doesn't sound good, because it does, but I just don't like it. I miss the resonance of the acoustic body, and the string and picking noise amplified by the pickup bothers me. Yes, it sounds like a Ukulele, and I guess the solid body is a lot easier to manufacture. But the price really doesn't reflect that. I think there are $650.00 Ukuleles out there that sound better. Of course, all this is just my opinion, which is essentially worthless in the overall scheme of things.

Cornfield
09-10-2014, 08:59 AM
What are the differences between the KoOlau customs and the Pono?

PhilUSAFRet
09-10-2014, 01:18 PM
pics worked fine for me

Did you click on the pic(s) for a closeup? Not sure if it's on photobucket or my computer.

Jim Hanks
09-10-2014, 01:49 PM
Did you click on the pic(s) for a closeup? Not sure if it's on photobucket or my computer.
Yes, but this was on my ipad.

coolkayaker1
09-24-2014, 04:06 AM
Not that it doesn't sound good, because it does, but I just don't like it. I miss the resonance of the acoustic body, and the string and picking noise amplified by the pickup bothers me. Yes, it sounds like a Ukulele, and I guess the solid body is a lot easier to manufacture. But the price really doesn't reflect that. I think there are $650.00 Ukuleles out there that sound better. Of course, all this is just my opinion, which is essentially worthless in the overall scheme of things.

I certainly respect your opinion on acoustic versus chambered body, Vegas. Good thoughts. I don't know any $650 ukes that sound better, but most people do, in fact, own acoustic-bodied ukuleles.

I got the BE baritone chambered body yesterday from Andrew at HMS and, as expected, it's exquisite. My wife, Cathy, when she saw me noodling on the couch with it, said: "What, are you taking up the electric guitar now?" lol On first glance, it's big and bold and beautiful. It is, to me, far and away the easiest ukulele to hold; rests comfortably in the lap. I plugged it into my Fender Deluxe tweed tube amp (which looks pretty dinky in the photo, but it's truly a 3 foot by 2 foot heavy monster--and I can only turn it up to "2" volume or the neighbors will call the cops). Played it for two full hours, and it's lovely. Linear DGBE is foreign to me (my Mya Moe baritone is dGBE), and to pluck the D-note more gingerly than I am accustomed--a re-entrant tuned 4th string can be plucked with wreckless abandon--is easily remedied by appropriate conditioning of the sound through the amp (i.e. turn down the bass, turn up the treble...lol). Playing plugged in truly makes me a better player, I'd say. I can hear every nuance of what I'm playing: every sour note, every fret buzz, etc. lol

I guess one could say that I am ginormous fan of chambered body ukes (this is my third). None better for noodling on the couch during TV commercials or when chatting with the family.

The Acacia striping and gloss on this thing are out of this galaxy!

mds725
09-24-2014, 10:10 AM
The Acacia striping and gloss on this thing are out of this galaxy!

Congratulations on your new ukulele! I'd love to see a photo.

coolkayaker1
09-24-2014, 02:59 PM
HI, Mark. Sure, a couple quick snaps just to get the feel of it. I'm super lousy at photography, though. lol

Terrible, and quick bc Million Dollar Listing is on in three minutes LOL Josh Flagg rocks! Anyhow, you get the gist. The freboard swirls are to die for. You should get one! I know you and Andrew are like this (twirls fingers together). lol cheers, Mark.

mds725
09-24-2014, 08:31 PM
HI, Mark. Sure, a couple quick snaps just to get the feel of it. I'm super lousy at photography, though. lol

Terrible, and quick bc Million Dollar Listing is on in three minutes LOL Josh Flagg rocks! Anyhow, you get the gist. The freboard swirls are to die for. You should get one! I know you and Andrew are like this (twirls fingers together). lol cheers, Mark.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=70547&d=1409888419

coolkayaker1
09-25-2014, 03:07 AM
]71215.........

coolkayaker1
10-05-2014, 06:00 PM

George, these ukes have a $150 (Mya Moe charges $200 for passive MiSi) MiSi pickup, plus a $90 KoOlau perfectly-fitted, high-end case. They are also with perfect intonation up and down the fretboard and an astonishing sound. To be frank, I cannot think of another $650 uke with all this.

Gerald Ross
10-06-2014, 09:51 AM
Solid body ukes? Here's my Dave Talsma "Les Talsma" model. MI-SI pickup. Video from 2011.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtD4X11WWt0

coolkayaker1
10-06-2014, 01:56 PM
Wow, Gerald. I thought you had only the two tenor Talsmas. That is a beauty! I've not seen you use it recently in any videos. Thanks for sharing. I do see it in the background here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L-ckVtz7rE

And three knobs, Gerald. Is that something like Joe Perry--see what he said a couple months ago about his three knobs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z944p7yC_8

P.S. Every great string man has a leather vest like Joe's. I think Smeck started the trend, actually.

Gerald Ross
10-06-2014, 02:10 PM
It's the MI-SI trio pickup. Three knobs. Bass, Treble and Volume. I prefer two knobs - volume and tone. With three I have to always remember which is which, and I always get it wrong - not too good when on stage.

sam13
10-06-2014, 02:48 PM

Dude, you talked me out of a Pono Baritone ... but I think you just talked me back in with these amazing pictures ... how fabulous is that! Nice.

coolkayaker1
10-06-2014, 03:27 PM
Simon, that was before I knew (a) you have such a baritone-friendly fret reach, and (b) you, like me, want one of everything. lol. And those photos are not representative of how nice this truly is--it has lovely brown-and-black swirls on the fretboard.

If you want to play haunting sounds like Danielle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i67pbCPi8a8

Or like brother Kharmachanic on the intro (0:00 - 0:37) to this video, with fingering shown at 2:40 minutes, you need a baritone (and in this case, a capo).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nezQSAJ_ib0

Bottom line: I was wrong--you need one. lol

akanotanindof
01-27-2016, 08:51 PM
since it is a travel uke, any clip when unplugged? It is in my wishlist.

coolkayaker1
01-29-2016, 02:37 AM
Sorry, don't understand the question.

Rakelele
01-29-2016, 06:48 AM
I don't understand the question either. The Pono TE is a solid body electric, much like an electric guitar. You can hear it fine unplugged, but it's really meant to be played through an amp. And while the TE is much slimmer than a regular uke, it is also heavier, with the electronics and the solid (or actually: semi-hollow) body (almost 960 gr, compared to an average tenor of about 650 gr). So I wouldn't consider this to be a "travel uke" like the slimline Kala.

Here is Zach from The Ukulele Site providing a sound sample and an explanation about it's functions (remarks about playing it unplugged and a brief sound sample are to be found at 1:03): https://vimeo.com/88589116

DaveY
01-29-2016, 09:58 AM
I think that the way it can be seen as a travel uke is that it can be played quietly (unplugged), not disturbing strangers; also, there are fewer humidity issues due to the almost-solid body. It's also smaller than a normal-sized tenor (depth), and the case that comes with it from HMS is smaller.

akanotanindof
01-29-2016, 12:00 PM
I don't understand the question either. The Pono TE is a solid body electric, much like an electric guitar. You can hear it fine unplugged, but it's really meant to be played through an amp. And while the TE is much slimmer than a regular uke, it is also heavier, with the electronics and the solid (or actually: semi-hollow) body (almost 960 gr, compared to an average tenor of about 650 gr). So I wouldn't consider this to be a "travel uke" like the slimline Kala.

Here is Zach from The Ukulele Site providing a sound sample and an explanation about it's functions (remarks about playing it unplugged and a brief sound sample are to be found at 1:03): https://vimeo.com/88589116

I think that the way it can be seen as a travel uke is that it can be played quietly (unplugged), not disturbing strangers; also, there are fewer humidity issues due to the almost-solid body. It's also smaller than a normal-sized tenor (depth), and the case that comes with it from HMS is smaller.

Thank you, it helps.

sam13
01-31-2016, 03:31 PM
Simon, that was before I knew (a) you have such a baritone-friendly fret reach, and (b) you, like me, want one of everything. lol. And those photos are not representative of how nice this truly is--it has lovely brown-and-black swirls on the fretboard.

If you want to play haunting sounds like Danielle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i67pbCPi8a8

Or like brother Kharmachanic on the intro (0:00 - 0:37) to this video, with fingering shown at 2:40 minutes, you need a baritone (and in this case, a capo).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nezQSAJ_ib0

Bottom line: I was wrong--you need one. lol

I stumbled on this. Lol

I did buy one. A RBSHC Spruce top. Amazing tone.