Tuning a Ukulele

t58martin

Reaction score
My son just purchased a Ukulele. He bought a Kamaka Pineapple model.
I was trying to help him put it into tune. I have a couple of questions.
I know next to nothing about Ukulele's but play guitar a bit....

The Ukulele is said to be a soprano model. Is this tuned differently than other models? I bought a tuner that clips on, it is a GoGo tiki model for Ukulele's. The options are for chromatic, Uke c, and Uke d. Which option should I use for standard tuning? The other issue is that the meter seems to go from flat to sharp in a fraction of a turn of the peg.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Hello,

welcome to the forum!

The Kamaka Pineapple ukulele is really great, I have one and love it. It sounds good both in GCEA ("Uke c") and ADF#B ("Uke d"), but GCEA is today's standard, so go with "Uke c". Remember that the 4th string (the one closest to your face) will be, differently of a guitar, tuned higher than the 3rd string.

About the other issue, that's a characteristic of friction tuners, but you get used to it. If it is loose, take a screwdriver and tighten the screw on the back of the tuners, or loosen it if it's too tight. Have fun!

Welcome to UU! I have a tiki gogo tuner. Use uke C for standard tuning. At first with new strings it will go out of tune frequently until the strings settle in. Yes, it takes very little movement turning the pegs when you are close.

^ What Newportlocal said. It's going to be a finicky b*tch for a few days. That's just the way it is.

thanks

Thanks for the quick response. I actually used my Korg guitar tuner in Bass mode to tune up. I then used the tiki to confirm. In tune and ready to go for when he comes home. The friction tuners are finicky alright. One quick question for the other Pineapple owner, what strings do you recommend? I wanted to get a spare set.

Yep, friction tuners take a lighter touch as compared to geared guitar tuners.

I have a Kamaka pineapple too, albeit a vintage one. I like Martin M600 strings on mine. I am not a big fan of Kamaka strings (which are Di'addario).

Top Bottom