Ukulele slotted headstock tuners on e-bay

Timbuck

Reaction score
Just spotted these...UK e-bay

4 STRING MACHINE HEADS 2+2 PAIRS SLOTTED HEAD STOCK TUNER UKULELE BANJO UKE ETC.

Well done ken. Saw these months ago and concluded quickly that they are in every sense wrong! They have a 23mm spacing so are built off a mandoline jig - the spacing needs to be 35mm which is guitar spacing to be properly in proportion.... IMHO :)

These are 4.99 on ebay and have a 35mm spacing. Not tried them so can't comment on quality.

View attachment 54577

Very cleverly done :).....These were once 3 on a plate or maybe 4 and they have had one tuner removed at the screw hole centre line with a fancy punch tool that also puts a new screw hole a few mm higher up the plate...I like it! ;)
*EDIT* After more research.. It seems more likely that the factory has the backing strip feeding thro' the press and cropping it at 1, 2, 3, or 4 pitches .. as required by the customer.:)

Last edited:
So far, this looks to be a real race to the bottom quality-wise. Why would a luthier put low end tuners on a high end uke? Are you that desperate for factory made slot head tuners? Why not just get out the jeweler's saw and modify a decent guitar set? You can cut brass, you know!

Check into Rubner tuners. My son is going to get a set for a Dobson-style banjo he's going to build this summer. They make decent stuff.

http://www.rosetteguitarproducts.com/rubnertuners.html

I have a couple of sets of Rubher tuners on order - should be here in a couple of weeks.

They are 29 euros without anydesign on the plate and plastic buttons, and about double that for ebony/rosewood/cocobolobuttons etc.

We're going to get wider string post spacing for my son's Dobson banjo repro...metal parts from Bill Rickard Banjos.

Top markes Ken. Those are fantastic - have ordered a couple of sets to check out.

Last edited:
I emailed them and they have sent me a catalogue (pdf) which I can provide if anyone wants a copy. They will supply any of their mandolin or guitar tuner styles for the uke.

Then I just ordered online from their shop:

http://rubner-markneukirchen.de/onlineshop/index.php

The only pain is that you have to send money orders unless you happen to have a german bank account - but I reckon if you were bulk buying they would come to some alternative agreement.

Giles.

Spoken to Rubner!

Great news!
I've just spoken to Jeffrey at Rubner and if there is enough interest they will add ukulele tuners with 35mm spacing to their catalogue. Please respond to this so i can give them positive feedback.

That is good news and should make ordering easier.

I had an email this morning from Jeffrey asking what roller spacing I wanted on my sets - I suggested 35mm also.

Pete, id get some 35mm for my Maccaferri uke im building. Perfect!

Yes they are certainly not budget but if they can get the 'styling' right, much better than a clunky set of guitar tuners! Customers will pay :) Am in good discussions with them. If there is significant demand then the costs will come down because instead of hand building them, they will contract the plate work out to laser cutter!!! Can you believe it? Still cutting the plates by hand on some of their sets :)

Last edited:
Pete- let us know how it goes and please pass on our thoughts re 35mm orders

As already mentioned, they should put that middle screw hole in the....well....middle.

But I think they look fantastic and would buy them for slotted headstocks. The price is high and taking the piss a bit but if they are hand made(ish) then a small up charge to ukes adorning them is worth the extra $$$.

I would like to see different engraving styles too and different choices for the ends of the plates, but now im taking the piss a bit :)

And yes, thanks Rick for pointing these out

The price of these on eBay is high because the spec is high the ebony buttons and special bearings add €45 to the cost. I am getting two sets for a total of €116 inlcuding shipping - one set to the ebay spec and one 'off the shelf'. If I can get them to stock design what we expect and want, the price will come down.

So - my Rubner tuners have arrived.

Rubner Coco.jpgRubner Coco 1.jpg

They look pretty fine - cocobolo buttons look nice. Have some with Cherry buttons also.

Can't wait to get these on my next project (Kasha Baritone) - once I have finished my current project that is (Concert Pineapple).

Got mine today. Base plate is 16.5 mm wide making a 18 mm thick headstock possible. Going to see if they will go into production with middle hole in the centre. My buttons are smaller - more in scale to the uke.

Top Bottom