PDA

View Full Version : Daft Punk's "Get Lucky" on Uke?

Unforgotten
06-15-2013, 02:36 AM
Hi guys,

I was watching the video to this on YouTube (a great summer song IMHO) and, given Random Access Memories is a "back to basics" album with (mostly) conventional instruments, I was interested in the technique Nile Rodgers uses on the guitar...

I am a complete noob so what would you call this style? It looks as if most of it is just played on the top fours strings fairly high up which would be ideal for the Uke!

I realise that music videos are rarely accurate but I expect someone of Mr Rodgers' calibre to have to concentrate to NOT mime correctly, even if he has been handed a strange, perspex guitar :)

There's also an acoustic cover by Nicole Cross. I can't say I care for her singing over Pharrell's but her only accompaniment is a guy with an acoustic guitar. This sorta confirms the "guts" of the song are the guitar and the vocals. Again, it looks as though the guy is right around the "Uke area" of the guitar although he is playing the lower strings to make up for lack of bass.

Any suggestions or comments from those wiser musicians than me?

teruterubouzu
06-15-2013, 03:59 AM
I will let the musicians chime in on the guitar styles. Here's a thread from another UUer who did a cover. (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?81129-Get-Lucky-%28Daft-Punk%29-cove) They might know.

Unforgotten
06-15-2013, 04:42 AM
Thanks for that! I think I made the mistake of using the forum search :(

Looks better than the mangled Frenglish tutorial on YouTube :)