Uke Vs Guitar Tuning Machines

dmecha1012

Reaction score
I am new. I have 3 cheap concert/tenor ukes with poor quality gear tuners that I would like to replace. Can I buy two sets of labeled "Guitar Tuners" rather than 3 sets of "uke tuners"?
(There seems to be an incredibly larger selection under the Guitar tuner headings.)

Thanks for your help

From a functional point of view there is no real difference, trouble starts with the physical measurements. Guitar tuners might not fit to the existing "mount points" (guitar headstock is usually bigger in every dimension than a uke headstock) - and even if they do, they still might be heavier and kick your uke out of balance.

Bottom line: I would stick with uke tuners.

What exactly makes you consider the tuners as poor quality? Depending on how cheap the ukes are, replacing them altogether might be the better investment...

What you need to consider is the thickness of the headstocks and the length of the tuning posts. Ukulele's TYPICALLY have thinner headstocks so therefore ukulele tuning heads have shorter posts although this is not always the case. Some ukulele's have thick headstocks. You need to match headstock thickness to post height.

Anthony

Many ultra cheap ukes go with cheap guitar tuners anway - from the parts bin. The result is a top heavy neck in many cases, and buttons that stick out and make the uke headstock look like Mickey Mouse!

Top Bottom