PDA

View Full Version : Uker's back?

armchair_spaceman
06-15-2013, 04:36 PM
Hey all, so I've been at my uke a bit more than usual over the last week or two, a couple of hours a day, and I'm feeling some soreness/tighness in my back and around the ribs on my left side (I'm right handed). Does anyone else experience this? Doubtless I'm sitting poorly while I'm playing/practicing...any tips for posture or any suggestions for clips/examples of good players' posture to watch?

itsme
06-15-2013, 05:45 PM
Doubtless I'm sitting poorly while I'm playing/practicing...
Sounds like you already know what your problem is.

If you're slouching on the couch or whatever, the best I can suggest is sitting upright in a real chair. Sometimes I practice at my computer so I'm sitting on a desk chair. My dedicated practice area in the living room has a small piano bench with a wheelchair buttpad atop for comfort. There is no back, and I am more or less forced to sit up straight. It's actually very comfortable once you're accustomed to it, as your body is better aligned and less likely to develop aches such as you described.

Years ago I bought one of these Nada chairs (http://www.nadachair.com/) at a computer fair. Basically, they are a belt/back support that hooks around your knees when you're sitting and puts your spine into proper alignment. It can help train you in how to sit.

I say this as someone currently sitting kinda sideways with my knees crossed in front of the PC. :p

OldePhart
06-15-2013, 05:54 PM
itsme has it right. Sit upright and hold the uke as if you were standing. If you need a strap get one. You should never slouch over your uke. If you have developed the habit of trying to see the fretboard then work very hard at getting over it as it leads to bad posture any way you cut it (either you will be hunched over the uke or you will be turning the uke up to face you which bodes ill for your wrist).

John

sukie
06-15-2013, 06:00 PM
Yep. I agree with everything they say.

I have started standing up whilst playing. I know it might seem weird, but I think it really helps. A strap also helps. I don't have to worry about holding my ukulele.

armchair_spaceman
06-17-2013, 05:30 AM
Thanks all. I have a strap, had a go at standing today and it was surprisingly relaxed and comfortable. And thanks Old Phart for the pointers about not looking down (in uke as in surfing, bike riding, tightrope walking... etc :) )

river_driver
06-17-2013, 07:49 AM
What everybody said. Posture is everything. When I was a kid and my mom always told me to sit up straight... well I wish I'd listened!

I suffer from lower back problems and sometimes have to lay flat on my back to get relief. Playing uke in that position gives me something to do while I stare at the ceiling. Since there's no way to hunch over the instrument I think it has helped me to learn way around the fretboard better - forced me to stop using sight and rely on sound and muscle memory. just my 2 cents.