Teaching Kids

Lime

Reaction score
Has anyone taught a child (mine is 5) how to play ukulele? Either professionally, or just your own kid? Any book/website/technique that works?

I myself do not play ukulele and we will be learning together, so something step-by-step that doesn't assume expertise from a teacher is needed.

It would be nice to have something that graduates to learning actual music theory, so a series of books or levels that could carry you all the way to proficiency would be nice. I guess I'm used to Suzuki books, since my son did Suzuki violin and is going to be taking Suzuki classical guitar soon. Not necessarily exactly like that, just something more than just goofing around. Not that it shouldn't be fun, but learning an instrument is more than just learning song after song, ya know?

Anyway, any suggestions?

Has anyone taught a child (mine is 5) how to play ukulele? Either professionally, or just your own kid? Any book/website/technique that works?

I myself do not play ukulele and we will be learning together, so something step-by-step that doesn't assume expertise from a teacher is needed.

It would be nice to have something that graduates to learning actual music theory, so a series of books or levels that could carry you all the way to proficiency would be nice. I guess I'm used to Suzuki books, since my son did Suzuki violin and is going to be taking Suzuki classical guitar soon. Not necessarily exactly like that, just something more than just goofing around. Not that it shouldn't be fun, but learning an instrument is more than just learning song after song, ya know?

Anyway, any suggestions?

Well I think it is ok to avoid theory for awhile. So please take that into consideration.
I use a children's ukulele DVD that I got from http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/category/ukulele-dvds-books here. I can not remember the name but it has the kids strumming alone from the get go.

Well I think it is ok to avoid theory for awhile.
At first, yeah, they're learning the sound and feel. The ears and hands learn first and higher learning is added on later, I just meant that it would sure be convenient if there were a program that led into the theory after a year or two. But no, it's not essential.

I'll check out the DVD, thanks. :)

ETA: Is it the DVD that goes with the Ukulele Primer? That's the only DVD I see there.

Last edited:
At first, yeah, they're learning the sound and feel. The ears and hands learn first and higher learning is added on later, I just meant that it would sure be convenient if there were a program that led into the theory after a year or two. But no, it's not essential.

I'll check out the DVD, thanks. :)

I wish I could remember the name, but I don't. It is on the tip of my tongue.

I understand but I'm glad no one taught me theory. I would have given music up. I want to learn theory, but I always say why? I can make music now.

That DVD has a guy wearing a bow tie. I used it with 3rd -5th graders.

I understand but I'm glad no one taught me theory. I would have given music up. I want to learn theory, but I always say why? I can make music now.

But I really do wish I knew it. So please don't think I am against a kid learning it.

Ralph Shaw has a great DVD for children on Amazon. He has kids playing the songs with him and he starts with chords and easy songs. Good luck!

I think it depends on the kid. My 7-year-old son absolutely loves theory. But, he also used to write math equations on his colouring sheets in kindergarten because colouring was boring. So, I guess it depends on your brain wiring. My daughter's less extreme in that regard, but I still think it will enhance her music learning.

I do agree that playing an instrument shouldn't be arduous, so if she plays ukulele for a while and says she's happy just playing and never wants to learn theory, then that's fine. I'm just not approaching the ukulele like a "fake" instrument that can't be taken seriously. She can learn theory with it just as well as a violin or piano, I really believe that.

ETA: Not to say other people aren't taking ukulele seriously, I'm just always dealing with people telling me "Just make her take piano lessons!" as if the ukulele isn't a valid instrument. Well, she doesn't want to take piano lessons, and I don't see why she can't be introduced to music with a ukulele.

Last edited:
I think it depends on the kid. My 7-year-old son absolutely loves theory. But, he also used to write math equations on his colouring sheets in kindergarten because colouring was boring. So, I guess it depends on your brain wiring. My daughter's less extreme in that regard, but I still think it will enhance her music learning.

I do agree that playing an instrument shouldn't be arduous, so if she plays ukulele for a while and says she's happy just playing and never wants to learn theory, then that's fine. I'm just not approaching the ukulele like a "fake" instrument that can't be taken seriously. She can learn theory with it just as well as a violin or piano, I really believe that.
Definitely. I think all kids should start on the uke. I think it is much easier to grasp the basics. If I had been taught theory at a young age I would have enjoyed it. The ear took over and I taught myself to play by playing. But if one learns theory the are numerous musical doors that open.

James Hill also has some excellent teaching materials for kids.
I was about to suggest this. Although 5 may be considered a little young and he suggests 8 years old to start. Since it's your own child, you can work more casually through his material. Through his system, we teach melody first and get around to chords later. If you play with them, or have more than one student, you can teach how harmonies work and build a foundation for more advanced theory. It's a great system. His books are available at Empire Music.

I was about to suggest this. Although 5 may be considered a little young and he suggests 8 years old to start. Since it's your own child, you can work more casually through his material. Through his system, we teach melody first and get around to chords later. If you play with them, or have more than one student, you can teach how harmonies work and build a foundation for more advanced theory. It's a great system. His books are available at Empire Music.

So if someone knows nothing of theory, would the James hill thing be over there head?

Oh, that's Ukulele in the Classroom. That was actually suggested to me by someone else. As for harmonies, I really need to pick a ukulele for myself so I can play with her.

So if someone knows nothing of theory, would the James hill thing be over there head?
You will learn to read music, theory and how to play the ukulele. Shouldn't be over anyone's head. It also works for teachers teaching students at slightly different levels.

Oh, that's Ukulele in the Classroom. That was actually suggested to me by someone else. As for harmonies, I really need to pick a ukulele for myself so I can play with her.

Yeah, it helps. There are simple 4 measure exercises where two players can play different parts and you hear the harmony working and you get that "ah ha!" moment.

Yeah, it helps. There are simple 4 measure exercises where two players can play different parts and you hear the harmony working and you get that "ah ha!" moment.
Do you think it matters if I have the same size ukulele as her? She has a soprano, but I wanted a concert.

Do you think it matters if I have the same size ukulele as her? She has a soprano, but I wanted a concert.
No, it doesn't make a difference. But the suggestion is to use linear tuning (low g). It's not necessary, but it makes sense when new students are learning how scales work.

Top Bottom