Awful buzz developed from beach weekend

Depthy

Reaction score
So my mainland mahogany tenor slothead has developed a terrible buzz after I brought it to the beach this weekend (friday - saturday night). Of course I played the heck out of it so much that my thumb hurt and jammed with some great street performers in ocean city MD. I did not use a humidifier, rarely kept it in its case, and slept with it in my friends room (does that void the warranty? if mainlands come with one).

Heres what it sounds like now:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0sJgjY3nl3b

iPhones don't really do a great job at picking up buzzing sounds, but its so apparent that you can still hear it.

It buzzes when played open as well as almost all the frets. It is basically unplayable in this state.

The buzz started developing slightly on saturday night, but was still playable and really showed up this morning after leaving it on the couch in my house all night. The weather was great all weekend, but the humidity was probably high. The strings kind of felt slick and watery at night after being outside all day.

I just changed out the strings (which are living waters) and am keeping it in its case with an oasis humidifier for a few days. Do you guys think this will be enough to help it? Should I possibly send it back to mainland or bring it to someone around here who can fix it? (let me know if you guys know of anywhere near columbia/olney maryland that does setups/repairs). I thought it needed a setup anyway before it started buzzing (fret dressing etc).

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
I've got the same sound on my KoAloha Sceptre (which I didn't take to the beach!) and it's driving me mad. I think it needs a new nut, which isn't a big thing at all.

Why don't you just call Mike at Mainland; it's easy to do, and I'm sure he will have a good answer.

If the strings were slick and watery then that uke got way too much moisture. I think I would take the humidifier out of the case (if the uke is already that wet you won't need the humidifier for a few days) and then give it a few days in the case to recover a bit. If that doesn't resolve the buzz then I'd start looking to see if the neck twisted from the moisture or something like that.

It's fairly unusual for an over-humidified uke to buzz, though, because usually the top will swell and rise up some, increasing the action. What often happens after that though is people shave the bridge saddle down to compensate, then when the instrument is allowed to return to normal the top sinks back flat and the uke begins buzzing because of the low saddle.

I don't know what kind of glue they use when making Mainlands (Mike - aka Hoosier Hiver - can probably tell you) - if it's anything that's water soluble the uke may have gotten wet enough that a brace came loose or something - that will cause buzzing.

John

Most GC locations do not have folks on site who can help but they may be able to point you to other local resources, guitar repair shops with a good rep, etc.

So heres an update:

I just took it out of the case and stopped humidifying it. I brought out in to my sunroom and played the strings as they are still stretching. Magically the buzz went away for a few minutes and was playing good, then slight buzzes came back on some strings/frets, and then it went completely out of whack again, buzzing everywhere. Maybe the pickup wires are loose or something? I guess I really should just take it to a luthier, how would I find one around my area? Olney maryland.

My guess is that some of the pickup wires have come loose. I was experimenting with chopsticks James Hill style and drumming on the strings and playing pretty hard. It was also in my car out of its case sometimes. How can I check and put the wires back if needed?

Last edited:
Similar story with maybe a different ending.
My baritone with installed MiSi developed a buzz. It buzzed when played open and on every fret up and down the neck. I changed strings and made certain they were wound to the bottom of the posts--still buzzed. Then I noticed the nut for the pickup jack was loose. Tightened that and the buzzing stopped.

I felt a little foolish for not checking the nut first.

I would follow the advice to locate a luthier or repair guy near you. As a musician, if you don't need a skilled repair person now you will need one down the road and its best to be prepared.

Take it to a luthier. That's why god made us...

Rick is Right.....we need to have the Uke in our hands to make the proper diagnosis....any music shop can direct you to a good luthier.....of course you could send it to Rick..

Only Kidding Rick.... :)

....Then I noticed the nut for the pickup jack was loose. Tightened that and the buzzing stopped.

Heh, heh. I did the same thing after installing a pickup in one of my ukes. Had me panicked for a moment until I figured out what was going on.

Also worth checking the nuts holding the tuners on - that's one thing that's bitten me a couple of times.

If it's buzzing "everywhere" it's a fair chance it's something silly like that.

John

...... I guess I really should just take it to a luthier, how would I find one around my area? Olney maryland. ......

Find a local shop that isn't Guitar Center that specializes in guitars and/or ukuleles, and ask for a referral. Or you could try Google or Yelp.

Heh, heh. I did the same thing after installing a pickup in one of my ukes. Had me panicked for a moment until I figured out what was going on.

Also worth checking the nuts holding the tuners on - that's one thing that's bitten me a couple of times.

If it's buzzing "everywhere" it's a fair chance it's something silly like that.

John
yep, I had one with a buzz and that's what it was, a loose tuner nut. I hope it's something simple. I've had pickup wires buzz too, and the pu nut. shake it around. hear anything moving? strum it sideways or upside down. does it get better [or worse] put your ear close and see if you can hear where it's coming from. the head, fretboard, body. ?

You've really got to think about the environment with solid wood ukes.
Too wet= not good, too hot from laying in the sun= not good, salt water and electronics= not good, going quickly from hot and humid to air conditoning= not good.

It was also in my car out of its case sometimes.

There were a lot of little red flags. A solid wood uke is not a good beach uke, but This is a HUGE red flag! It is a solid wood uke and not to be exposed to huge variations in temperatures and humidity. Not that it needs to be babied, per se. But a car, at the beach, in the sun... gets HOT! In or out of a case, that can crack your top, warp your neck, pop your frets. Basically is a big no no. And, it will get dry in there. Heck, people die being left in a car. Your poor uke has probably had just as much as it can stand. Lets google:

Lets say it was 90 degrees outside (for sake of argument and plus I looked it up)

In 10 minutes the car will be 109 degrees
In 20 minutes 119
In 30 it is 124
In 90 it would be 138

Then if you decide to grab your uke... lets say even after 30 min, you subject it to an immediate 35 degree temperature drop. Bring it inside for a 20 more degree temperature drop. That is a 50 degree drop. And the heat is extreme.

And... the strings will stretch and contract in those elements, so a string change was wise.

But don't worry... there is a solution ;)

First, bring it somewhere, get it fixed! Not GC, please!
Then... go on line, buy you a "go anywhere" uke. $80 tops... ALL LAMINATE...
what one would call a "beater". My favorite is the Ohana 10 series. But just ANYTHING laminate laminate laminate!!! Yes, LAMINATE! People knock them, but they are practical!

Make sure it is by one of us that do set ups. So it will still be enjoyable to play and be a good sounding uke! It then is your beach uke, your camp uke, your let a friend borrow it for a couple days uke, your hand it to the little kid and not panic uke! EVERYONE needs one!

Then... you don't baby your Mainland... but don't abuse it either. That is with any all solid wood uke! They will open up with time and treat you well, but there is a certain amount of care you have to give it!

Last edited:
Not to threadjack, but for those of us this summer that may choose to travel with a solid wood uke, on planes, etc, where there may be big temperature and humidity swings, what can we do to protect our instruments?

Not to threadjack, but for those of us this summer that may choose to travel with a solid wood uke, on planes, etc, where there may be big temperature and humidity swings, what can we do to protect our instruments?

In general, treat it like it was alive, even like a toddler. Don't leave it in the sun, don't leave it in a hot car, don't expose it to rapid temp changes. A case with a humidifier helps, but even then, act as if it were a living animal.

In general, treat it like it was alive, even like a toddler. Don't leave it in the sun, don't leave it in a hot car, don't expose it to rapid temp changes. A case with a humidifier helps, but even then, act as if it were a living animal.

Ditto! Humidifer and case.

And no hot cars. And lets say you are at the beach, keep it under an umbrella (black case + sun = hot).
Take it inside with you instead of leaving it in the car! Yes, it is weird to be walking around Target with a ukulele case, but far better than coming back to a sickly ukulele! Maybe someone will want you to play for them :)

I have no problem with that. I've lived in NYC too long, I'm used to carrying everything with me at all times. :)

How sensitive should I be about temperature swings? Are we talking 5 degrees or are we talking 30? Like waiting outside to be picked up and then getting into the car--low A/C I'm sure...but what is common sensical here?

Alternately, I keep seeing how bad A/C is, and at home I don't have it, but my folks do. Should I store in the garage when we aren't playing or just keep it humidified in the house?

At home, it's been temperate enough that I've not worried about the affect of temperature indoors, but reading all of this, I'm wondering as the summer heats up, what affect will the rising temperatures inside have?

Clearly, this is my first nonlaminate. :-D

Top Bottom