Help help help mods, webmaster ryan uuers serious problems on a certain pm..

mm stan

Mystery Man
UU VIP
Reaction score
Aloha Ryan,
this morning I received a PM and at times when I try to open it my computer feezes and I have to shut my browsers down...and when it sometimes opens, I cannot do nothing as when I try to click anything the screen freezes and only thing works is to close my browser....the page for the PM looks different from the regular one...I cannot even delete it
Can you help me or have any ideas.....all my other PM's I open work fine and got the same format look
thanks Stan:(

Last edited:
Stan, is the PM from a known UU member whose name you recognize? If not, it may be some kind of spam. Spammers have been known to register here just to send spam PMs.

If you don't recognize the user and can look up their name in the member's list and they have no posts, I'm willing to bet it's a spammer. I would delete the PM without trying to open it.

They may have included a javascript link (script/html links should not be allowed on a forum, but perhaps the admin forgot to disallow it) or an image hosted by a third party that when it loads will trigger something nasty. Sometimes javascripts are designed to hijack you to another page, like auto re-directing you to a site they are spamming about.

If you're brave, you might try disabling javascript in your browser and see what happens then.

At any rate, run a full scan with whatever virus/malware programs you've got to see if you've been infected with anything.

Aloha It's me,
It is a UU member and I know him...I cannot even get to delete it without my screen freeze....don't know how to disable java script.....I cant even do anything and it freezes any click
right or left....will check my virus program...you got any other ideas...thank you so much....and for the speedy response...Stan
Just checked my viruus protection is fine...

Last edited:
It is a UU member and I know him...I cannot even get to delete it without my screen freeze....don't know how to disable java script.....I cant even do anything and it freezes any click
right or left....will check my virus program...you got any other ideas...
So, does your screen freeze without even trying to open the PM? You should be able to see your PM list without opening any PMs. From there you could put the check next to it and delete without opening.

Perhaps it's the other UU member who's got a virus or has had their account compromised by a spambot?

What browser/operating system are you using?

On Windows in Firefox20 it would be Tools > Options > Content, then uncheck the box that says "enable javascript."

In IE8 it would be Tools > Internet Options > Security (make sure Internet is highlighted), scroll down until you see Scripting, then under Active Scripting, click Disable.

Aloha It's me, even when I click to open it mostly freezes....
tried that and the same results...everythings fine to go to my PM list...when I click ONLY on that PM it freezes at times and I keep clicking my browser closes...sometimes it opens
but when I click to type, everything freezes...I am using IE...went to firefox and doing the same thing....shoots...

Aloha It's Me,
I went to firefox and this time it opened up my PM and I was able to delete the PM....it said on the bottom for message confirmation too...
Do you suppose it is my IE and I have to clean something...let me know please S....thank you so much

Last edited:
Do you suppose it is my IE and I have to clean something...let me know please S....thank you so much
I don't know what virus software you're running. MSE is pretty good (and free) and you can have it on in the background to catch things live as they try to happen.

IE is generally thought of as a less secure browser than FF. I primarily use FF now with the "No Script" extension. It prevents any scripts from running unless I allow it on a particular site. You can also allow for scripts from the site vs. all scripts, like some that might be injected by a spammer or a third-party provider, like an ad network. These days a lot of infections are because of spammers hacking into ad networks.

Aloha It's Me,
thank you so much..I have no idea how clean my scripts off my IE, I will try again what you told me above...what do I lose if I disable it....
I seem to not have any problems now...I did not try to answer that PM, I knew better and just deleted it right away...:(

Sorry you weren't able to open the PM, Stan.

Stan, you runnin AV and MalWare apps? You should just fo be on da safe side.

Top Bottom