what is a good setup to record your stuff

hapuna

Reaction score
i have tried to get this info before but not successfully. is there a good economical setup for ipad or pc that will give me a good quality recording of a single uke and singing while playing. under $500 would be great and also easy to setup. Thanks

There are tons of affordable mics and audio interfaces available for both ipad and pc. $500 should be enough to get a fairly decent vocal mic, instrument mic, and two channel audio interface. I would recommend this as a starting point - http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul12/articles/rsg.htm

Thanks Jim will check it out

If you want to keep it easy, the Zoom H3 has good mics, and takes video too. There's not as much capability for working on it later but you just sit in front of it and play.

I got an H3 last year for $85.00, they were coming up with a high def version for more $$. But the sound is quality either way. One nice feature, it has a short USB cable built in so you can plug it right in to a computer. You can even use it to move files around, like a memory stick. It uses SD cards.

Zoom also makes the H4N which doesn't have video, but has 4 track capability so you can overdub a recording and add other instruments, then mix down later. The H4N also allows you to plug in other microphones and provides phantom power for them. You can also record 4 channels at once, with two built-in mics and two additional, then mix the tracks down later.

I have had several Zoom products and still use them for every video. I have used the H2, H2n, H3 and H4n. The one I didn't use very much is the H3. The problem is that you need to have the mic and the video recorder at different distances and this is not possible on the H3. In any case, your average compact camera takes better video. I use two different machines: a still amera for the video and either an H2n or an H4n. The H4n is superb, but it is bigger and heavier and I find I don't always use many of the features. I use the H2n most. It is a great machine: light, small, superb sound, works as USB mic or audio recorder, level controls, good interface, etc.

I started with 2 mics, an audio interface [usb dual pre] and a webcam for video. for me it was a hassle setting it up and then synching the audio and video. I saw a barely used Zoom Q3HD on craigslist at about half retail and being basically lazy, that's all I use. decent video, great audio, can record anywhere, you can trim right on the unit and upload straight to youtube. it does have limitations, but it is so easy I make a lot more videos.

I'm planning to get a Focusrite 2i2 audio interface and use with two mikes: Shure SM58 for voice recording and Shure PG81 for uke recording.

I have a Zoom H1 handheld recorder that I like, but don't use much. I know it works as a USB mic as well, but never tested.

About how much is a Zoom H2N?.

Top Bottom