Fluke Endpin?

CharlieDog

Reaction score
Is there someway to attach regular , not pickup, endpin to a Fluke Tenor solely to hold a strap. I can't see all the way inside, but I think there is no end block, so just screwing into the relatively thin plastic isn't going to work.

I suppose I could put some sort of wood block in, but the uke end is a good six inches from the soundhole making it pretty difficult, but not impossible .

A fella at the NY Uke fest fashioned an endpin for his fluke out of an old school plastic hanger affixed with glue. He uses a rope as his strap. It's lasted him about 10 years and doesn't affect the sound of the instrument. They make clear versions now that are more aesthetically pleasing. There are colored cords and ropes that could work to give it more style if you need it. To me that seems the best solution to the fluke given the material it's made from.

I'm not sure of the Flukes, but I was just up at Flea Market Music and they installed a plastic strap button on the end of my tenor Flea.
Very sturdy. They also said they have some stick on strap buttons that could be used. I suggest you contact them for more info.

I really like the idea of an endpin, but one of the main features I like about my fluke is it stands on end.
I use a Uke-Leash or no strap.

Yes, I like to stand it up sometimes, but mostly tilt it against the wall. I tried the uke-lease idea by sticking my arm through the loop end of a guitar strap, but it limits where I can pick. I've been learning classical music and like to vary the place to pick depending on where on the neck the notes are fingered. You pretty much need to anchor the end of the uke with your arm to keep the neck in the same place.

What Bill1 said works great. I did it to my mine, too. One thing I learned-the sticky back velcro works great on the plastic body of the uke, but is a b***h to sew onto the strap end using a sewing machine. The adhesive gummed up the needle badly. Had to stop and clean it every half inch. . ..

my Fluke will even stand on it's end with the strap still attached. . .

Some members of the German Forum were experimenting with using those small but super strong magnets. Of course I wasn't paying attention because I don't have a flea/fluke, but they had sewn the magnets into the strap. No idea how they got them to stay inside the uke, though...

I screwed an end button on the bottom of my Flea a couple of years ago. I've never had a problem with it and it has never come loose. I never liked standing my Flea on its end so that didn't bother me. Before I did the deed, I called FMM and asked about it. They told me to be careful to place the button between the interior "ribs" that are moulded into the sides and bottom. If you look carefully on the outside you can see the slight moulding marks indicating where the ribs are. Also, I did'nt make a pilot hole first but rather a pilot dimple with a scratch awl. I wasn't worried about anything splitting but wanted as much material for the screw to bite into. Go slow and use hand tools only. Good luck!
-joe

Top Bottom