Just got my first solid-wood soprano from UKE Repuplic - Ohana SK-35G

Brian W

Reaction score
Sorry about the misprint in the title, it should read : Just got my first solid-wood soprano from UKE Republic - Ohana SK-35G

I just received my first solid-wood soprano, an Ohana SK-35G that I purchased from Mike at UKE Republic. I absolutely love this uke! This has to be one of the best sopranos in the under $400 price range. The tone is warm and punchy; it is just what a solid mahogany instrument should sound like. The fit and finish is also surprisingly very good, with only a small, very minor flaw where the neck meets the body. Peeking inside the soundhole, reveals a body that is very clean and tidy, with just a few spots of glue run-off. Best of all, Mike did an absolutely fantastic job setting it up for me. The neck and fret work are as good as any expensive Hawaiian made instrument that I have played. The action is at the perfect height, with no buzzing at all, and the intonation is near perfect. I had him change out the stock Aquila strings and replace them with a set of Fremont Blackline mediums—these really sound and play so much better than the Aquila's. If you are looking to purchase a ukulele from an on-line retailer, then you owe it to yourself to contact Mike at UKE Republic. He is great to talk to, very knowledgeable, and will set up your instrument correctly. Thank you Mike!

Last edited:
Congratulations on your new ukulele!!

Congratulations, Brian.

Ohana makes great all-solid wood ukes with wonderful tone and they are very playable. The best thing is: their prices are hard to beat!

Congrats Brian. Ohanas are great and Mike is the best!

If you want a more mellow sound try Worth browns on it

Enjoy and keep us posted

Happy new uke day! I just got a Mainland concert red cedar/rosewood from Uke Republic. It's the 2nd uke I've bought from Mike. Great guy to do business with, Very competent and friendly.

Something very satisfying about a new uku, I nearly bought one of these myself beautiful looking as well as a great sound, a good buy.

Ohana SK35s are modern classics. Congrats.

You're gonna love it. I have two. (OK, one Sk-35 and one SK-38, almost the same) I wanted a spare in case Ohana stops making them.

A real safe buy...great little uke for the money. Congrats

Top Bottom