PDA

View Full Version : Out of curiosity...

Captain Google
01-01-2009, 07:35 PM
What are your opinions on the late Tiny Tim? Personally, I like him. :cool:

Pippin
01-01-2009, 08:58 PM
Tiny Tim, in reality, had a great baritone voice. I never liked his stage persona.

salukulady
01-01-2009, 09:42 PM
Herbert Khaury (birth name) was really a talented baritone singer. He was a vaudevillian type performer born a generation late. Check out his other recordings before assuming "Tiptoe" was his only number. Yes, most of his stuff was weird, but entertaining and definitely interesting.

http://scubyndo.blogspot.com/

j312311
01-01-2009, 10:37 PM
I've always liked Living in the Sunlight since seeing it on Spongebob.

Brad Bordessa
01-02-2009, 06:16 AM
I'm not too fond of the guy myself. Because he was the 'ukulele in the 60s and that's all people on the mainland have to associate with the instrument. It makes our life harder because when you tell someone you play 'ukulele (sometimes they just give you a blank stare when they hear oo-koo-lay-lay. Some will get it others won't. Then you go: (sigh) (deep breath) you-ka-lay-lee! Then the recognition pops on - thanks to tim) they think Tiny Tim instead of Herb Ohta Jr. So most of the time, they will blow you off musically unless you can play something to win their respect. It's just a pain - thanks to Tim.

Just my take.

E-Lo Roberts
01-02-2009, 06:25 AM
What are your opinions on the late Tiny Tim? Personally, I like him. :cool:
Tim was a great entertainer. One of a kind, lost in his own beautiful but tragic world. God bless Tiny Tim...e.lo

uke142464
01-02-2009, 07:31 AM
if he sang in his baritone voice not that falsetto ear-piercing thing, I might be appreciating him, but he made a joke of the ukulele, not many people took him seriously, so most people around here, at first glance wouldn't take me seriously.
For example, last year in the school talent show I was going to play my uke. in the band room while I was waiting with all the other performers, my librarian (who obviously was around 20 or 30 during the '60s) came over, grabbed my uke and said "OOOOOOOO, how neat!" she started swaying back and forth, nearly breaking all my strings strumming the thing. ("Wow you actually have it in tune!!")
ugh, I'm assuming this had something to do with how tiny tim made people think that ukuleles were used for laughs only:mad:

haole
01-02-2009, 08:42 AM
Bad exposure for the ukulele is still exposure, right? ;)

I dig Tiny Tim, even if his constantly out-of-tune ukulele and goofy music didn't do much for the instrument's image. I know that one of our goals as a uke community is to prove to others that the ukulele is more than a novelty, but rather than being bitter about Tiny Tim, why not just bust out a few bars of "Bandito Tyler" for a friend? :D

Tanizaki
01-02-2009, 08:56 AM
I don't know why ukulele players get all butthurt about Tiny Tim. You think he was bad for the ukulele's image? Fine. Who gets to tell you that you hurt the instrument's image?

Haole's attitude is the correct one. If you don't like people's notions about the ukulele because of Tiny Tim, it is up to you to do something to change those views.

He had a great love of music from America's early recording days, and many of his recordings are sung in his natural baritone. Only his most well-known tunes are in the falsetto. So yes, I happen to think Tiny Tim was top notch. :rock:

marymary
01-02-2009, 09:33 AM
in reality, a friend of mine ran into him while he was taping a program at some radio station in nyc. he was being obnoxious and rude to all the staff, including his own.

perhaps he was frustrated with the persona he was "forced" to wear.

salukulady
01-02-2009, 09:37 AM
Tanizaki,
I LOVE your word, "butthurt". Seriously, it made me crack up! Permission to use it?

UkuLeLesReggAe
01-02-2009, 12:26 PM
heard that one song... never turned it back on

it scared me :/

nickulele
01-02-2009, 12:29 PM
I wonder how many people wouldnt have bothered picking up a uke if it wasn't for Mr Tim making such a novelty of them at that time?

'Tiptoe...' was one of the 1st songs i learned when i first got mine and his more psychedelic work (Strawberry Tea for example) was a real bonus find once I went and bought more of his records.

So needless to say, I'm on TEAM TIM!

allinfun
01-02-2009, 12:58 PM
Not a Tiny Tim fan. A little too out there for my liking. As for his hamming on the uke, I wish he had picked a different instrument as his prop, like the bongos.

hoosierhiver
01-02-2009, 01:16 PM
I've got no problem with Tim,but I get completely irritated that,"Tiny Tim" is first thing alot of people say when you say "ukulele".
There have been SOOO many fantastic ukulele players thru the years and people say" uh Tiny Tim,huh huh"

Captain Google
01-02-2009, 01:41 PM
I've got no problem with Tim,but I get completely irritated that,"Tiny Tim" is first thing alot of people say when you say "ukulele".
There have been SOOO many fantastic ukulele players thru the years and people say" uh Tiny Tim,huh huh"

This is exactly why Jake Shimabukuro should have been offered a gig at Times Square for the New Year's festivities. The world missed a chance to realise the true power of the uke! I blame the Jonas Brothers.

There's always next year, I guess.

nickulele
01-02-2009, 01:48 PM
I blame the Jonas Brothers for most of the evils in modern life.

salukulady
01-02-2009, 01:52 PM
This is exactly why Jake Shimabukuro should have been offered a gig at Times Square for the New Year's festivities. The world missed a chance to realise the true power of the uke! I blame the Jonas Brothers.

There's always next year, I guess.

Those damn Jonas Brothers. Maybe Jake should sign a contract with The Mouse and then they could "handle" him, control his music writing and have him wear a purity ring. They could put him in the Electrical Light parade at Disneyland and light him up like a rhinestone cowboy. Now that would make his career soar!

Plainsong
01-02-2009, 02:19 PM
No problem with him personally. George Harrison liked him and that's good enough for me. (Little Stevie played a duet of theirs on his radio show) If you define yourself by the people who played your instrument then remember George Harrison played. There's even proof on the Anthology DVD set. It's just that people can be small minded and it's frustrating. Anyone who's listening to my Craig Robertson CD would STFU about out of tune ukes and falsetto voices.

Tanizaki
01-02-2009, 02:21 PM
Tanizaki,
I LOVE your word, "butthurt". Seriously, it made me crack up! Permission to use it?

I wish I could claim I coined it but I cannot. Use it all you like! (see the "butthurt" article at Encyclopedia Dramatica for more)

salukulady
01-02-2009, 02:31 PM
I wish I could claim I coined it but I cannot. Use it all you like! (see the "butthurt" article at Encyclopedia Dramatica for more)My 16 year old just said, "Mom, everyone uses butthurt, where ya been?" (God, I'm so old.)

Captain Google
01-02-2009, 03:00 PM
My 16 year old just said, "Mom, everyone uses butthurt, where ya been?" (God, I'm so old.)

This made my day. :cool:

ukusaurus
01-02-2009, 03:01 PM
He kind of seems like the original Marilyn Manson to me...but thats just me :confused:

Waterguy
01-02-2009, 03:49 PM
I've Got mixed feelings on Tiny Tim. Most poeple my age would have no clue what a uke was were it not for him.....well not exactly. We would know now. We would likely be clueless back in the day though.

Thing is, the majority of folks in the world tend to have a limited imagination. I really hate to say that, but it's true. When I first showed my sister in law one of my Uke's, she offered to buy me a Tiny Tim Wig. This was about 3 months ago. My sister in law is a SMART lady. I want that understood. Her only exposure to ukulele music had been the Tiny Tim appearances on Laugh In back in the day. I showed her Jake playing Weeps after her comment and openned her eyes.

We cannot rely on someone like me being around someone like my sister in law when the subject comes up.

I have no issue with Tiny Tim.

I have a serious issue with everyone who has seen Tiny Tim's ukulele performance and has come to the conclusion that THAT is what the uke is all about.

Not sure what can be done about it but I'm pretty sure that my attitude is the healthiest way to look at it.

Tiny Tim got famous playing a uke when no one else was making an impact playing that instrument. Much of today's uke community looks at the way he did it and crys foul.

Now I have to say at this point that I HATE Tiny Tim's version of Tiptoe Thru The Tulips. On the other hand, I have nothing but respect for an entertainer who managed to get his stuff noticed and bought.

Tiny Tim was succesful as a musician using a uke when most of the world had no idea what the hell a uke was.

Tiny Tim was never the problem. The lack of imagination of the majority of the population is what causes the misconception of what the uke is capable of.

uke142464
01-02-2009, 04:01 PM
My 16 year old just said, "Mom, everyone uses butthurt, where ya been?" (God, I'm so old.)

Ive never heard anyone say butthurt:D

salukulady
01-02-2009, 04:22 PM
Ive never heard anyone say butthurt:DMaybe it's a west coast thing. Oh, and my daughters gonna kill me if she reads this...she's now 17, I forgot she had a b-day last month.

uke142464
01-02-2009, 04:29 PM
Maybe it's a west coast thing. Oh, and my daughters gonna kill me if she reads this...she's now 17, I forgot she had a b-day last month.

haha, shes gonna kill you just cause you said she was 16?? jeebers:D

Tanizaki
01-02-2009, 04:51 PM
Ive never heard anyone say butthurt:D

lurk moar...

Tanizaki
01-02-2009, 04:53 PM
Tiny Tim was never the problem. The lack of imagination of the majority of the population is what causes the misconception of what the uke is capable of.

QFT. Humans, on the whole, are unimaginative and not curious.

haole
01-03-2009, 10:21 AM
I still think we need to have a Tiny Tim cover contest. :B

salukulady
01-03-2009, 11:09 AM
I would so kick ass on that.....but Deach would probably win.

ichadwick
01-03-2009, 11:32 AM
A great entertainer and very talented. He got stuck in the novelty schtick mode, even though his own interests lay elsewhere (he was a revivalist of vintage and classic pop music and damn good at it). Watch Sweet and Lovely (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVS59qMay6A) for a sample.

Watch this one, too. You'll see he had a sense of humour and could even laugh at his own image:
Tiny Tim: Do You Think I'm Sexy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N_jlF-sRqk)

If he appeared today rather than in the mid-60s, he'd be up there with Ian Whitcomb as a performer.

ricdoug
01-03-2009, 11:37 AM
Maybe it's a west coast thing. Oh, and my daughters gonna kill me if she reads this...she's now 17, I forgot she had a b-day last month.

Just got off the phone with my 23 year old daughter (our baby of the three), Sally. I asked her about the etymology of "butthurt" and she said "GAAAWWWD, Dad! You're so 'squarepants'". She lives in Spring Valley - (San Diego). I decided not to ask her about the etymology of 'squarepants' at that point. LOL! Ol' man Ric

Captain Google
01-03-2009, 11:41 AM
Just got off the phone with my 23 year old daughter (our baby of the three), Sally. I asked her about the etymology of "butthurt" and she said "GAAAWWWD, Dad! You're so 'squarepants'". She lives in Spring Valley - (San Diego). I decided not to ask her about the etymology of 'squarepants' at that point. LOL! Ol' man Ric

Squarepants came from the popular cartoon "Spongebob Squarepants", I'd imagine.

*sigh* Kids these days... :D

salukulady
01-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Just got off the phone with my 23 year old daughter (our baby of the three), Sally. I asked her about the etymology of "butthurt" and she said "GAAAWWWD, Dad! You're so 'squarepants'". She lives in Spring Valley - (San Diego). I decided not to ask her about the etymology of 'squarepants' at that point. LOL! Ol' man RicToo funny. Isn't getting old is amusing when you have kids?

ricdoug
01-03-2009, 12:04 PM
Too funny. Isn't getting old is amusing when you have kids?

Dat's da' fax, Sally! We also have four granddaughters and our soon to be three year old (end of this month), is learning at a rapid rate. It will be a whole new dialect! LOL! I'm ready! Ric

Tanizaki
01-03-2009, 01:22 PM

That is a top shelf idea.

mhh
01-03-2009, 05:12 PM
It's hard to say... no one was getting any attention for playing the ukulele in the '60s until Tiny Tim started using it for novelty appeal, so he effectively popularized and patronized the ukulele at the same time. I think he did more good than harm, because I'm sure most mainland americans wouldn't know what the ukulele was if he hadn't brought it to america's attention, and besides even prior to Tim ukulelists were being denied membership to the american musicians society in the '20s, so ukuleles never really did have that great a reputation in the mainland.

P.S. I'm all for a Tiny Tim cover contest, especially if there's an eyebrow-raising prize.

Howlin Hobbit
01-03-2009, 07:16 PM
. . . my daughters gonna kill me if she reads this...she's now 17, I forgot she had a b-day last month.

If she gets huffy about it just tell her not to act all butthurt.

Pippin
01-03-2009, 11:12 PM
No problem with him personally. George Harrison liked him and that's good enough for me. (Little Stevie played a duet of theirs on his radio show) If you define yourself by the people who played your instrument then remember George Harrison played. There's even proof on the Anthology DVD set. It's just that people can be small minded and it's frustrating. Anyone who's listening to my Craig Robertson CD would STFU about out of tune ukes and falsetto voices.

Have you heard Craig's latest CD, DeChirico Street? If not, check it out at Psychic Hamster Records.

Plainsong
01-05-2009, 06:41 AM
That's the CD I was referring to. ;)

Ukuleleblues
01-05-2009, 10:46 AM
My observation is that most of the folks that were watching Laugh In or (whatever he played "tip toe" on) in their prime, appear to think the uke is for dorks. Folks born after his brief Tip Toe period are way more open minded about the uke. Also, folks 80-90ish that heard the uke played by others or played themselves are also a lot more receptive to the uke.

I think "Tip Toe" played as a novelty by Tiny Tim polarized a lot of folks against playing the uke. I understand he was a good player and singer. That would be a hell of a thing to be remembered for if you loved playing the uke as he appeared to.

I am doing a spring garden show, guess what I am going to sing, yup "Tip Toe Through the Tulips" it's actually a very pretty song.

Captain Google
01-05-2009, 11:05 AM
My observation is that most of the folks that were watching Laugh In or (whatever he played "tip toe" on) in their prime, appear to think the uke is for dorks. Folks born after his brief Tip Toe period are way more open minded about the uke. Also, folks 80-90ish that heard the uke played by others or played themselves are also a lot more receptive to the uke.

I think "Tip Toe" played as a novelty by Tiny Tim polarized a lot of folks against playing the uke. I understand he was a good player and singer. That would be a hell of a thing to be remembered for if you loved playing the uke as he appeared to.

I am doing a spring garden show, guess what I am going to sing, yup "Tip Toe Through the Tulips" it's actually a very pretty song.

Something tells me you won't be trying falsetto. ;)