Out of curiosity...

Herbert Khaury (birth name) was really a talented baritone singer. He was a vaudevillian type performer born a generation late. Check out his other recordings before assuming "Tiptoe" was his only number. Yes, most of his stuff was weird, but entertaining and definitely interesting.

http://scubyndo.blogspot.com/

I've always liked Living in the Sunlight since seeing it on Spongebob.

I'm not too fond of the guy myself. Because he was the 'ukulele in the 60s and that's all people on the mainland have to associate with the instrument. It makes our life harder because when you tell someone you play 'ukulele (sometimes they just give you a blank stare when they hear oo-koo-lay-lay. Some will get it others won't. Then you go: (sigh) (deep breath) you-ka-lay-lee! Then the recognition pops on - thanks to tim) they think Tiny Tim instead of Herb Ohta Jr. So most of the time, they will blow you off musically unless you can play something to win their respect. It's just a pain - thanks to Tim.

Just my take.

if he sang in his baritone voice not that falsetto ear-piercing thing, I might be appreciating him, but he made a joke of the ukulele, not many people took him seriously, so most people around here, at first glance wouldn't take me seriously.
For example, last year in the school talent show I was going to play my uke. in the band room while I was waiting with all the other performers, my librarian (who obviously was around 20 or 30 during the '60s) came over, grabbed my uke and said "OOOOOOOO, how neat!" she started swaying back and forth, nearly breaking all my strings strumming the thing. ("Wow you actually have it in tune!!")
ugh, I'm assuming this had something to do with how tiny tim made people think that ukuleles were used for laughs only:mad:

Bad exposure for the ukulele is still exposure, right? ;)

I dig Tiny Tim, even if his constantly out-of-tune ukulele and goofy music didn't do much for the instrument's image. I know that one of our goals as a uke community is to prove to others that the ukulele is more than a novelty, but rather than being bitter about Tiny Tim, why not just bust out a few bars of "Bandito Tyler" for a friend? :D

I don't know why ukulele players get all butthurt about Tiny Tim. You think he was bad for the ukulele's image? Fine. Who gets to tell you that you hurt the instrument's image?

Haole's attitude is the correct one. If you don't like people's notions about the ukulele because of Tiny Tim, it is up to you to do something to change those views.

He had a great love of music from America's early recording days, and many of his recordings are sung in his natural baritone. Only his most well-known tunes are in the falsetto. So yes, I happen to think Tiny Tim was top notch. :rock:

in reality, a friend of mine ran into him while he was taping a program at some radio station in nyc. he was being obnoxious and rude to all the staff, including his own.

perhaps he was frustrated with the persona he was "forced" to wear.

Last edited:
Tanizaki,
I LOVE your word, "butthurt". Seriously, it made me crack up! Permission to use it?

I wonder how many people wouldnt have bothered picking up a uke if it wasn't for Mr Tim making such a novelty of them at that time?

'Tiptoe...' was one of the 1st songs i learned when i first got mine and his more psychedelic work (Strawberry Tea for example) was a real bonus find once I went and bought more of his records.

So needless to say, I'm on TEAM TIM!

Not a Tiny Tim fan. A little too out there for my liking. As for his hamming on the uke, I wish he had picked a different instrument as his prop, like the bongos.

I've got no problem with Tim,but I get completely irritated that,"Tiny Tim" is first thing alot of people say when you say "ukulele".
There have been SOOO many fantastic ukulele players thru the years and people say" uh Tiny Tim,huh huh"

I've got no problem with Tim,but I get completely irritated that,"Tiny Tim" is first thing alot of people say when you say "ukulele".
There have been SOOO many fantastic ukulele players thru the years and people say" uh Tiny Tim,huh huh"

This is exactly why Jake Shimabukuro should have been offered a gig at Times Square for the New Year's festivities. The world missed a chance to realise the true power of the uke! I blame the Jonas Brothers.

There's always next year, I guess.

I blame the Jonas Brothers for most of the evils in modern life.

This is exactly why Jake Shimabukuro should have been offered a gig at Times Square for the New Year's festivities. The world missed a chance to realise the true power of the uke! I blame the Jonas Brothers.

There's always next year, I guess.

Those damn Jonas Brothers. Maybe Jake should sign a contract with The Mouse and then they could "handle" him, control his music writing and have him wear a purity ring. They could put him in the Electrical Light parade at Disneyland and light him up like a rhinestone cowboy. Now that would make his career soar!

No problem with him personally. George Harrison liked him and that's good enough for me. (Little Stevie played a duet of theirs on his radio show) If you define yourself by the people who played your instrument then remember George Harrison played. There's even proof on the Anthology DVD set. It's just that people can be small minded and it's frustrating. Anyone who's listening to my Craig Robertson CD would STFU about out of tune ukes and falsetto voices.

Tanizaki,
I LOVE your word, "butthurt". Seriously, it made me crack up! Permission to use it?

I wish I could claim I coined it but I cannot. Use it all you like! (see the "butthurt" article at Encyclopedia Dramatica for more)

Top Bottom