Speaking of Dust collection

afreiki

Reaction score
I use 1/2 of a garage for my shop. The other 1/2 of my "better half" is expensive telescope equipment ...

All I have for dust collection is a shop vac, and I jury rig the hose close to some of the worst dust makers, but...

Those telescope people don't appreciate perfectly good wood dust. I've looked at "systems" but they all seem to be in the multiple thousand dollar range. Is there a good way to get this (dust) going (elsewhere) without spending thousands?

Any suggestions will be helpful.

Anne Flynn

I've heard that a large pool of molasses on the floor collects dust particals in optical enviroments :D

best to build another room for the telescopes.

strong airflow through the space, like a spray booth, can be simple, and prevent dust from settling too badly inside the garage. The problem with most 'easy' dust collectiuon systems, or units, is that they only kind of deal with the big annoying dust. The really unhealthy small stuff, and the stuff that puts a nice coating on fine equipment, that dust just gets propelled by a lot of dust systems.

or, maybe.. best to build a shop for your tools!

Well, I would like my own shop, or to put the telescopes elsewhere, but that isn't possible right now. I was thinking maybe I could hang some of those big plastic walls with the zipper down the middle that construction guys use. Of course, it doesn't help MY dust problem, but it would solve the telescope thing.
Anne

Your best bet may be to ante up for one of the incredibly expensive...and worth it...Festool dust extractors, get the Dust Deputy, hook the thing up to a Festool oscillating sander and then to any other sawdust producing power tool that you use, and get one of the simple and relatively inexpensive downdraft sanding table accessories that some of the woodworking tool places sell.

Like I said, catch the dust BEFORE it's airborne, and you're way, way ahead of the game.

Put a light wiegh partition wall between our shop and the telescope area, cover with plastic and then seal the area as best you can. Pressurise the area with air being blown into the telescope area, any leakages will have the pressurised air blowing out of it, keeping the telescope area clear of dust.
h

Top Bottom