Kala banjo ukulele availability?

TG&Y

Reaction score
I've had Kala banjolele on the brain for a while, or in the back of my mind anyway, since they were announced. Thought they might have been out in the world by now but they don't seem to be available in the usual places I look. Anyone have the inside skinny on when they are likely to be commonly available? Or a production update?

Thanks.

I know Mike at Uke Republic was an early recipient of some of Kala's resonators, maybe he has the skinny on the banjo ukes.

Just sent an email to Kala requesting info on the release status. Got a "we're experiencing extremely high email volumes..." reply. I'll report back when I get an answer.

Sorry I just realized it was a flea banjo ukulele so I edited this post.

Last edited:
Why are you set on a Kala banjo uke?

There are several fine banjo ukes currently on the market at most price ranges. And they have had a chance to be played so you can find reviews of these existing products.

Howdy. Haven't had time to be on the site much lately.

Well, I'm a Kala fan. I have a couple and kind of think of them as the people's instrument - although I think Oscar Schmidt has a claim to that title too. Nice instruments at an affordable price. If I think someone is tentatively thinking about dipping their toe in the ukulele world, I (if I don't just buy them a Dolphin) point them toward Kala or OS. I think a lot of us start out without understanding how crazy this instrument will make us and are unwilling to spring for the higher-end or even mid-range. That described me. My first uke was a $69.00 Kala - and I thought I must have lost my mind to spend that much money. Heh. It's still one of my favorites and has a sweet sound.

Anyhow, I like the Kala prototypes I've seen online. They're a cool black-stained maple that turns my screw. Not real crazy about the three hundred proposed purchase price and that may just make me a window-shopper. Have a couple of other banjo ukes - Eddy Finn EF-BU1f rocks! - but that Kala sure looked sweet. And I 'need' it like a hole on the head. Ukuleles are like that, don't you think?

I completely agree about the reviews. I'll be watching for those closely.

Why are you set on a Kala banjo uke?

There are several fine banjo ukes currently on the market at most price ranges. And they have had a chance to be played so you can find reviews of these existing products.

Well now, isn't that the smart thing to do. Thanks. I'm looking forward to their response to you.

Just sent an email to Kala requesting info on the release status. Got a "we're experiencing extremely high email volumes..." reply. I'll report back when I get an answer.

Just received Kala's reply....

Hi Jim,

The banjos are going to be available in August. I’m not sure on what backorders are like.

With something like the banjo ukes, it is best to have one on order to be “inline” for them when they do come in.

Many times with an item such as the banjo, they are spoken for before the orders go out.

Thanks!
Joy

Any pictures or details about this? I can't seem to find any info online.

Ah...now I see them. They look too heavy for me. I'm picky about weight.

Top Bottom