Cover of John King's version of Carol of the Bells.

TJ Uke

Reaction score
Hi all!

Here's an attempt I took at this challenging arrangement.

Got my first tenor uke a few days ago and thought this would sound nice on it :-D

nicely done.

John would have been proud to hear it!

keep uke'in',

nicely done.

John would have been proud to hear it!

keep uke'in',

Thank you! I've been a fan of his for some years but never really played uke. I had a cheap soprano for a while but sold that about 8 months ago. When I got a nice tenor as a gift a few days ago something clicked.

That was a great cover! How long did it take you to learn it?

Thanks!

I got the uke on Saturday and I started looking at it then or the next day.

Put in a stupid number of hours across those few days though, and you can see I don't play with the authority that comes with spending a lot of time knowing a piece.

You did a great job. His video of that is one of my all time favorites. You did an incredibly good cover of it.:D

You did a great job. His video of that is one of my all time favorites. You did an incredibly good cover of it.:D

Really glad you think so!

I've flicked through his youtube at least once every fortnight for probably 2 or 3 years even without having a uke, thinking how I could take his adapted guitar technique back to guitar but electric - and separate phrases into 4-string blocks.

I had a cheap soprano for a while but sold that about 8 months ago. When I got a nice tenor as a gift a few days ago something clicked.

I got the uke on Saturday and I started looking at it then or the next day.

Put in a stupid number of hours across those few days though, and you can see I don't play with the authority that comes with spending a lot of time knowing a piece.
Excuse me while I pick my jaw up off the floor. You've only been playing that for a few days?

I had some years of classical guitar before I took up uke, another four years later I'm nowhere near your level. :eek:

Some of King's arrangements are indeed challenging, especially that far up the neck. He mainly played soprano, and sometimes his stretches are really hard on a tenor.

My hat's off to ya, TJ! Really awesome job and I look forward to more videos from you. :)

Amazing job TJ. I'm with itsme, the hat is off and the jaw is on the floor. Just wonderful mate.
:cheers:

Excuse me while I pick my jaw up off the floor. You've only been playing that for a few days?

I had some years of classical guitar before I took up uke, another four years later I'm nowhere near your level. :eek:

Some of King's arrangements are indeed challenging, especially that far up the neck. He mainly played soprano, and sometimes his stretches are really hard on a tenor.

My hat's off to ya, TJ! Really awesome job and I look forward to more videos from you. :)

Thank you, but I really did put silly hours in so it's not like "normal" practice. Plus the vid is like take 4 or 5 :p

I had nothing else to do for a few days!

I've just received King's "classical ukulele" book...

I may do some slightly less maniacal vids before I tackle any of these hahaha.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments, I always stress when I put up something new!

Yeah, mostly crazy stuff.

Can sightread the first three pieces in the classical ukulele book and a bit of the chop waltz and then... uh oh.

Can sightread the first three pieces in the classical ukulele book and a bit of the chop waltz and then... uh oh.
I'd recommend Tony Mizen's books "Lute to Uke" and "Baroque Uke". Nice sounding arrangements and a bit easier overall than much of King's. :)

I'd recommend Tony Mizen's books "Lute to Uke" and "Baroque Uke". Nice sounding arrangements and a bit easier overall than much of King's. :)

They look really good...

I'm going to do this book first though.

Top Bottom