Misty Mountains Cold (The Hobbit) - Ukulele Cover

Nice.

If that is a concert then you are very small. A tenor in that position doesn't get past my left shoulder.

Tip - take your pinky off the soundboard, that stops it vibrating, big no-no. Keep hand/wrist straight in-line with forearm (causes tendinitis). For this classical guitar style picking, angle the instrument up so fingers meet strings at right-angles, drop the lower bout lower. Makes it easier to play.

Hi, Hannah!

That was lovely!!! I love your fingerpicking!!!

I was just reading the comment above mine, made by UU member jefrs, about your pinky. I, too, place my pinky like you do to fingerpick -- it's how I "anchor" myself. I don't know how else I could fingerpick otherwise.

Maybe, jefrs, if you read this, could you please tell us how we can work around this -- or what other option there is to help improve our ability to remove our pinkies?

Also, jefrs, you also mention how to properly hold the uke -- could you do a video of how the uke should be held (or provide a link to one) for this type of classical guitar-style picking you mention? That'd be wonderful.

I DO have tendonitis in my fretting hand wrist/arm, so this would help a lot to know how to do it correctly.

Hannah, I am sorry for highjacking your thread here -- just thought that jefrs' comments were helpful and wanted to see if jefrs could take them a step further for us both and any others out there who are interested.

GREAT JOB, HANNAH!!! Your doggie is SUPER cute, too -- my dogs do that to me, too, all the time when I play! :)

Last edited:
That's freaky - I just finished an arrangement of this tune yesterday in both high G and low G forms but I haven't recorded it yet. Will try to do that soon. Thanks for sharing.

Ok, lets see - for a start please do only take my comment as constructive criticism. It was nicely played Hannah. I may be a newbie here but I've been a player for fifty years.
I was taught classical guitar by a lady who was a student of John Williams, who was a student of Segovia. She was very insistent that one does not place the heel of the palm on the bridge, nor fingers resting on the soundboard. Nor the back tight against your belly.
Because it damps the sound.
It also stops you from moving the picking point from near the bridge to the fingerboard to vary the tone.

It is mainly practice, but it helps if the strings are (almost) at right-angles to your fingers. Move the instrument to the hand not the hand to the instrument.
Having an odd angle in the wrist can cause or aggravate tendinitis, it also stops the fingers moving freely. This applies to both hands. The fretting hand should not curl under the neck, the picking hand should not be twisted. Anchoring the pinky stops the ring finger from moving freely. And of course you cannot then pick with the pinky. Believe it or not, it is actually easier, more ergonomic, to play this way.
The hand is basically anchored to the edge of the soundboard by the forearm, or in my case on a concert uke, at the wrist, my fingertips also seem to fill the available gap between the frets. Of course this only applies to finger picking in 'classical guitar' style (or 'classical ukulele') not strumming where the uke is simply flipped up to the crook of the elbow. And once you have the basic technique sorted, you're allowed to break the rules (but do keep the wrist straight ; )

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with the tune but, I like the barogue sound and you played it very well. That was great!

Top Bottom