Question about strings for owners of Ohana solid mahogany sopranos - sk-35 and sk-38

Brian W

Reaction score
What strings have you tried and ultimately prefer for your Ohana soprano ukes, specifically on the sk-35 and sk-38 models? I currently have Freemont Blackline mediums on mine. I like them, but I am thinking of changing them to a clear fluorocarbon string like a Worth or Martin set.

I always used Martin 600s on both. I still own the sopraninio, which as Worth Browns.

See the STRING DATA BASE lik in my sig line for other ideas. Many folks use Aquilas too, but I always loved the sound of Martins.

So far the SK-38 still has Aquilas. I have not liked them on any other uke, but I like the sound on this one. If I try a new set, I will try Living Water, then Martin or Southcoast.

Living Water has proved the most balanced on my SK-38, and I've tried Worth Clears, Martin M600 and Fremont Blackline Hards on it before these. With the other strings, I felt the C string overpowered the others. It's still barky as all get-out, though.

Last edited:
Living Water has proved the most balanced on my SK-38, and I've tried Worth Clears, Martin M600 and Fremont Blackline Hards on it before these. With the other strings, I felt the C string overpowered the others. It's still barky as all get-out, though.

I noticed that about the C string as well. I might try a set of Worth CM's, since the C string has a little less tension than the Martin M600 set, and see if that balances the tone a little better. Haven't tried the Blackline Hards yet. Do you notice any problems with the instrument using higher tension strings?

Top Bottom